- Paperback: 518 pages
- Publisher: University of Chicago Press; New edition edition (15 Mar. 1976)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0226736407
- ISBN-13: 978-0226736402
- Product Dimensions: 17.1 x 2.8 x 24.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 774,037 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Serengeti Lion: A Study Of Predator-Prey Relations (Wildlife Behaviour & Ecology) Paperback – 15 Mar 1976
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"This book conveys not only the fascination of its particular study of lion behavior but the drama and wonder and beauty of the intimate interdependence of all living things." - Saturday Review "If you have only enough time to read one book about field biology, this is the one I recommend." - Edward O. Wilson, Science "This is an important book, not just for its valuable information on lions, but for its broad, open, and intelligent approach to problems that cut across the fields of behavior, populations, ecology, wildlife management, evolution, anthropology, and comparative biology." - Richard G. Van Gelder, Bioscience "By the time the reader has finished this book, the Serengeti, its landscapes, seasons, and wildlife, takes shape in the mind as a complex and epic poem, each part a function of every other part and each part a function of the whole." - George Stade, New York Times Book Review"
About the Author
""George B. Schaller is a senior conservationist at the Wildlife Conservation Society and Vice President of Panthera, a foundation devoted to the conservation of wild cats.He is the author of many books, including "The Mountain Gorilla" and "The Last Panda," both published by the University of Chicago Press. "
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
When one is in awe with a book makes the task of writing about so much more difficult. So I will limit myself to say that the most remarkable aspect of this book and , I believe sets it apart from others that hold the same task is that this book reflects the plain observation of the animals from the field. It did not started with a premise, a theory, something to prove, no, but the plain and raw observation of the lions. And for this alone, this book is extra-ordinary. The author is not in it, he is not trying to entertain the reader, he wrote what he saw and he shared it in a book form for the rest of us to take a wee peak at this wonderful animal world. For that alone it deserves a galaxy of stars.
Schaller also reveals lion behavior counter to what is commonly accepted by the general public. For example, lionesses are typically portrayed as doting mothers while male lions are depicted as lazy, thieving louts. Schaller showed that when prey is small, greedy lionesses wax fat while their cubs starve to death, whereas male lions will drive off the females and allow cubs to feed.
In sum, Schaller makes a persuasive argument that as the ultimate apex predator, we humans have an obligation to preserve these magnificent beasts. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Reading this book, you will learn both about lions and human behavior. Buy it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Ecology > Animal Ecology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Mammals
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences