on 19 November 2008
I purchased this DVD assuming that it was the same video I saw originally with extra material added. I did not realize that it was essentially an entirely different film. The material was very similar in most areas, and identical in some others, but had a noticeably different feel from the first original edition. The narrator of the original version (around whose work the Secret film was built) was completely edited out, which robs the film of most of its power. The voice overs were re-recorded and other sections re-shot with other people regurgitating material that was not their own and thus delivered lacking a sense of sincerity. I would never have thought that this could have such an impact on the film, but it certainly does. Very, very disappointing. I feel even more upset that they seem to mislead people into buying this version by calling it an extended edition, and not mentioning anywhere that it is in fact not the original film with more material added but something quite different. Furthermore, the few additional features that are included, with the exception of the blooper reel, are essentially sales pitches suggesting that you visit the website and buy some products there. It cheapens the whole message of the film and leaves you feeling quite unpleasant. That said, the original version is wonderful and I would give it a five star rating without hesitation.
on 19 November 2008
99 comments|210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have read 100's of very poor books on the Laws of Attraction in the last few years. I started reading books about goal setting, mind control and success principles in 1985. I have used what I learnt from my extensive reading, coupled with academic qualifications, business and psychology experience, to create a consulting company, teaching seminars to corporations in strategic thinking, marketing, goal setting and business development. I also use the principles to help individuals, by guiding them as a Life Coach, teaching people cognitive methods to help goal set and enhance their lives beyond what they could do on their own. As such, I read as many books as I can on a variety of subjects to enhance my knowledge. I can honestly say, that with all that experience, this DVD, is good as an introduction to the concept, BUT it is not as good as a book like Law of Attraction in Action, which I feel covers all bases needed for the LOA to work.

Many people in my experience cannot get the LOA to work, as they have too much OLD subconscious programming blocking the process. You can use the Sedona Method to unblock this old rubbish in the brain, but this DVD, does not cover this area. Also the second key to getting the LOA working, is to take "Inspired Action". This DVD seems to make the case for "thinking will do it all". ACTION, inspired by the dreams, working with a positive mental attitude, is what is needed. This DVD skips this vital part. The aforementioned book covers this area in great detail. I would also highly recommend Your Road Map to Success by John C Maxwell, as a great book to create a life purpose, from which you can use the LOA. There are other great books on the market that can help, but I recommend starting with these.

This DVD is a nice intro into LOA, but you need to do more reading in the areas I have highlighted, if you wish to get the LOA working in your life. Good DVD as far as it goes.
44 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"The Secret" wraps its message up in Da Vinci code style graphics as if it were some ancient parchment kept secret by a band of jealous monks. Actually the material it presents - The Law of Attraction - is very similar to a myriad of self-development texts including those by Anthony Robbins, Stephen Covey, Jack Black and many others. That makes the cover price rather excessive in my view. Nevertheless there is important and useful material here. The art of setting really compelling goals and being in a positive "state" are crucial to self-development. NLP covers these things in much more depth and with a more coherent structure, but this could be a useful start if you have never experience these concepts before. The presentation here is slick and it is an interesting programme (slightly overlong in this extended version). There are a few things in the programme which are a bit unpalatable - the suggestion that you can cure cancer by visualisation alone is disturbing. I agree a positive image of perfect health is vital, but don't stop the chemo on the basis of this film. Also, at times, the programme suggests you can achieve your goals by visualisation alone. I am sure that millions of males would testify that Angelina Jolie didn't turn up on their doorstep no matter how hard they fantastised !. You do need to work towards your goals; and a clear compelling vision with a good positive attitude are essential first steps. This film will help you put those in place.
22 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2012
I've only had the DVD a few days and I don't really know if the universe delivers in the way the secret says it does. However the DVD is truly uplifting and makes you feel that you can achieve absolutely anything which in turn will bring great things even if it is just the sense that we can change anything. And for that alone it's worth a watch. I can't promise aanyone that the secret works but I can promise that it will make you feel happier after watching. What more can you ask for.
on 22 March 2012
Always believed in asking for what you want in life, but this DVD is fantastic and really empowered me. 1 and 1/2 hour dvd which has a series of people talking about The Secret and how it can work for you and how it has worked for them. Inspiring examples through out the DVD too. Fantastic watch, worth every single penny. If you are thinking of buying this DVD, I highly recommend that you do. It will change your life.
on 9 May 2007
Another reviewer said that this is just positive thinking. I agree - it is positive thinking, but it is repackaged, re-presented and more inspirational (and with a slant that is not Christian) unlike Norman Vincent Peale's 'The Power of positive thinking'. I also find it convincing because the information is presented by people who have already written self-help books that I personally have found very useful.

If you aren't looking for a way to improve your life and to be more successful then don't buy this DVD.
on 21 June 2007
To everyone who has watched this dvd and are not having the desired results or see it as being a bit far fetched, i want to explain to you that the application of the secret to your life, i.e. positive thinking and feeling against negative thinking, is the same sort of principle as working out at the gym. To get a great body and great health, you need to concerntrate on the amount of food you are eating and which ones are good for you. This along with cardio and weight training will get you great results BUT is takes time and dedication and you need to cut down on the junk food and sweets. Exactly like the secret. You have to take time and dedication to practice concerntrating on the things in life that make you feel good, like the new car, the good relationships, the big house (this is the excersise in my metaphore) and cut down on or completely eradicate concerntrating on the things that make you feel bad, however small, like "i hate it when ---- hapens, or i hope 'this' doesn't happen today cuz i hate that (or eating junk food and not excersiseng).This is just my way of explaining by the way, im not having a go at people who don't work out. The point is you need to think positivly and keep doing it untill all the little problems sort themselves out and you have a life of freedom and financial security and happiness. Sorry for going on so long, but if you have taken the time to read this and found it useful I hope you can apply it to your own life and help others do the same. I beleive the more people that can use the secret to become happy the world will be a safe happy place to live in. Think about the good, forget about the bad. Look after yourselves. The secret made me infinatly happier and wealthier, and as long as you know how to apply it you can to. Keep watching the dvd and watch 'the summary' in the extras with Bob Proctor, it explains it better than i have here. Good luck. and don't dismiss this secret, it works! once you leran how to use it, which is easier than you think.
44 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2007
The Secret is one of the best produced and edited DVDs of its kind that I have ever seen. And the line-up of teachers and presenters is top-notch. There is only one reason I give this DVD four stars instead of five. The Secret is about the Law of Attraction, and how we can use that Law to "attract" into our lives anything we want. But it spends 95% of the time talking only about being focused on what you want (rather than what you don't want), and generating positive feelings about that. It only spends 5% of the time making it clear that what we really attract into our lives is the people, circumstances, and opportunities that lead us to what we want. In other words, when we utilize the principles mentioned in The Secret, doors open. But we have to recognize those doors for what they are and go through them. And that involves action. Many people who watch The Secret walk away with the impression that visualization and positive feelings is all it takes. It isn't. You still have to do something. As long as you keep that in mind, The Secret contains information that can be life altering. Enjoy!

Steven Lane Taylor, author of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow"
on 18 June 2007
I've only ever watched DVDs that had Hollywood movies on them, ie fictional stories. However a mate lent me his copy of the Secret after I told him I had been reading a number of self-help books. I was so bowled over by the content that when I gave it back I immediately ordered my own copy!

This DVD is presented as a documentary, with great emphasis on the knowledge of many great and powerful historical minds. It discusses an ancient secret that has been passed on through the centuries by the great and powerful minds of each generation. A secret that has to do with harnessing the power of the universe for yourself so that you attract the good things that you want from life.

It is reminiscent of the books Ultimate guide to Cosmic Ordering and the Hope of Intent by illustrating that the individual has the power to direct their own life. There are interviews with many published self-help authors and this gives it a deserved gravitas. Inspirational.