Format: Paperback|Change

This is a fantastic story of a little boy called Banjo, who every day, rain or shine, summer or winter, has a sausage for his dinner. On this particular day, Melvin, the sausage, decides he doesn't want to be eaten. He gets up and runs away, pursued by the rest of his dinner, his cutlery, the furniture and finally Banjo and his parents.

Each of the items in the story is given a name, and as Melvin makes his escape we move through an increasingly surreal and fantastic landscape in which the doings of all the other items are also narrated.

The illustrations are quite unusual, and in themselves provide a lot of the impact and the talking points of the story. My kids, aged 8, 4 and 15 months love this story and never tire of hearing it. The greatest thing about it, in my opinion is the fact that it is interesting for adults as well because it never dumbs down. The use of language is interesting and even poetic in places and it has a lovely rhythm and narrative pace which gives it the shape of an old fashioned classic, rather like the gingerbread man, from which it undoubtedly took its inspiration. Inspired work.
on 30 March 2010
My almost three year old son loves this book. I bought him "The Pencil" earlier but he has shown a preference for this one. He loves that the sausage (yes, Melvin is his name), peas, fries (which he always corrects me by calling them chips) have names. The story is fun to read and moves at a pace, everybody chasing everybody else. He especially loves that the sole surviving pea hides away (up the tree) and he finds him everytime! I would recommend this book to toddlers of a similar age and even older children. It gets a laugh everytime.

Lisa
on 14 March 2012
A little boy named Banjo has a sausage every day for his dinner. One day the sausage jumps up and runs away! Closely followed by all the other items on the table, as well and the table and chair! A hot pursuit ensues and there is much fun and laughter along the way.

My children (aged 2.5 and 5.5) both love this story and have asked for it time and again. Much hilarity to be had at bedtime (particularly as one of the carrots has my Christian name!!). Engaging story and great pictures.
I bought this after another book ('The Pencil') by the same author was very well received by my two grandchildren, aged 2 and 4. This has a similar theme, where inanimate objects take on a life of their own. While perhaps not quite as good as the 'The Pencil', they children still liked it very much. At this age they seem to really appreciate the comic absurdity of the action.
on 28 September 2009
This is another fantastic book by Allan Ahlberg.
I don't want to repeat what has been said in the other reviews (apart from the fact I agree) but if you love this one, then 'The Pencil' would be a great addition as the characters are the same.
Definately worth buying both of the books together - little ones will not be disappointed! (and adults will enjoy it too!)
on 5 August 2009
I first received this book as a present for my then 3 year old daughter who absolutely loved it from the start. It took me a little while to enjoy it as much as she did due to the slightly different writing style compared to other Allan Ahlberg books, but now I enjoy reading it as much as she enjoys listening to it, and I have bought it as a gift for other children
VINE VOICEon 11 June 2007
This book is utterly foolish, completely absurd, and as a result my boys (2 and 5) think its absolutely fantastic. Ahlberg's books range from really-quite-sensible to brilliantly-delivered lunacy and this is at the latter end of the spectrum. A sausage called Melvin jumps off the plate and runs away followed by the cutlery and crockery, table and chair, not to mention a little crowd of peas, carrots and French fries (called Francois, Fifi etc.). The carrots escape in a paper bag, two of the three peas meet untimely ends, and most of the French fries sit down to enjoy the cricket in the park. The chair gets sat on, the sausaage befriends the cricket ball in the long grass, and Banjo the boy goes home hungry for pudding.....

The illustrations are good - with a bright fun feel that perfectly matches the story - and the whole package is a great delivery of a quirky tale.

And if you enjoy this, then follow it up with Half a Pig or The Cat who got carried away, by the same author.
This is such a strange story and yet my kids love it! A little boy (called Banjo) has a sausage for his dinner - then the dinner runs away and there is a race around the park. It is totally surreal, imaginative and brilliant. My daughter loves to spot the runaway pea! Fantastic book. It just works.
on 7 June 2013
This story is a good idea and my four year old thinks it's hilarious but I think it's a bit too drawn out and could do with some further editing.For that reason I sometimes find it a bit of a drag to read.
on 21 April 2010
Excellent book, a joy to read to my daughter.
We go the pencil from the library and bought that too
when it had to go back.