Format: DVD|Change

on 29 October 2000
After watching the first series, I couldn't wait for the second and haven't been at all disapointed with the quality of writing by Caroline Aherne. The Royle family is a brilliant portrayal of family life and is hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing. This series is a must have buy and is the sort of comedy that can be watched time and time again. All I can say is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!
on 28 August 2003
I have not seen a comedy series this well cast and this well performed in a long time. Every single one of the actors portrays develops their character brilliantly ,each with different quirks and different personalities. Jim's one liners are wickedly funny and Dave's look of absolute dumbness is fantastic. You'll find yourself chuckling and for once we have a comedy not dubbed with fake laughter in the background.
The humour is honest and biting, coming very close to truth at times. You are drawn into the living room of this dysfunctional
family and can associate with their arguements and commentaries.
I thought that the scene in the second episode where Barbara looks on amazed at her daughter when she tells her that she will not be having chips for tea every single day just about sums up the family.
A brilliant piece of comedy that everyone should own.
on 9 March 2004
I recently bought the first series, along with the others on DVD, after a T.V 'top 20' style programme reviewed it.
Fabulously funny the action (or in-action) takes place in the Royal family living room-occasionally venturing into the kitchen!!! The comedy comes from the predictability of the charactors but also the way they occasionally suprise you too!
The comedy is down to earth as well as the charactors.
I have to say, I found alot in common between my own family and the'Royals'-which made it even funnier!!
A classic and lots of laughs!!!!
Not to be missed!
on 29 September 2000
Caroline Aherne is nothing short of a genius when it comes to comedy. This is by far one of the best comedies to grace our screens in many years. The excellent cast that also includes Craig Cash, Sue Johnston, Ralf Little, Ricky Tomlinson and Liz Smith, helps this frighteningly realistic series the classic comedy masterpiece that it is. Such odd and disfunctional behaviour hits a nerve in all of us when we watch some of the characters identifiable extreme habbits.. The scripts flow with wit and gritty realism. A real breath of fresh air. A masterpiece and a deserved winner of the many awards it has won to date. A CLASSIC! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 23 January 2015
I was at Uni and really really home sick I was 536 miles from home never had been away from home before I could not sleep /eat and study during lessons I would just be looking to the left of the study room and looking outside the window.

On my way back to my room I noticed a jiffy bag outside my room I took it into my room with me and opened it and it was from my sister and she had written the following in a letter :

Hey hope you are ok after talking to you the other day on the phone I thought this DVD might help

After the first 30 mins the feeling of being home sick had gone and I went and made a huge and I am talking huge plate of oven chips and watched the
whole series with a nice pot of tea and I got back into my studies thanks to the great minds of the writers of this show god bless them it helped 100%.

The scene at the dinner table where Denise talks about Sandras Hair cutting business and Barbra asks how much she charges and Denise says 22 quid and Barbra says oh thats a dear do I nearly choked on my chips and tea as my Mum says the same thing (no veg sorry mum) and Nanna putting her empty chocolate bar wrapper in her handbag my Gran does the same thing plus the sound that the livingroom door makes when its opening its like someone has put CCTV in my parents house and copied it for this series.

The friction between Anthony and Denise was like what me & my sister had for a while while we were in our teens.
Ok these people dont have fancy cars or wear fancy clothes or talk in a certain way but they are good loyal people to the each other and
their friends.

Its just a shame the series when down hill after the first series but this series really helped me in such a huge way I now have a good job and
a nice place to live (well I think so anyway) thanks to the writers of the show and my sister for sending this to me.
on 6 August 2000
This show has all the best of British comedy. Great acting, wonderful characters, real-life feel, NO canned laughter and it's a delight to watch time and time and time again.
on 26 July 2000
The royle family is the one of the best comedies in the world, and this video is the best thing i have brought for a long time. The only other comedy that comes close to this is Only Fools And Horses, the best quote on the video is. Get your coat on barbra, Why are you taking me out?, No i'm turning the fire off. If you looking at this review now then buy this video you will not regret it
on 5 December 2010
Back in the year 1998, a comedy TV show by the name of The Royle Family hit our tv screens, to where I have become a huge fan of it since seeing the very first episode.

The show itself has a great amount of loveable characters, who are played by top flight actors e.g.
1. Ricky Tomlinson - Jim Royle
2. Sue Johnston - Barbara Royle
3. Caroline Aherne - Denise Royle
4. Craig Cash - Dave Best
5. Ralf Little - Anthony Royle etc

This series shows us what life would be like when having the whole family round, who seem to do nothing else but watch the TV and crack out some jokes and stories.

Any1 who has not seen the Royle Family, must see it as you will not be disappointed.
on 15 December 2007
I never watched the series on tv when it first came out but got curious years later. The storylines are great. A just about non functional family who's lives revolve around absolutely nothing except the tedious conversations they have with themselves. The only thing which seriously lets this DVD down is the absolute low quality of the transfer. It was made in 1998 and maybe someone at the time came up with the idea of using recycled vhs tape to make a tv series. The DVD has just been released over in the USA and customers on Amazon.com are echoing the DVD quality as well. 5/5 for storylines, 2/5 for DVD quality.
on 26 July 2009
This is an English sitcom DVD of a somewhat different nature to the other sitcom episodes I have seen, but if you accept the sometimes weird text then it has episodes I find funny. The life of a man on the dole and his family mostly taking place in front ot the house altar, the TV, is often put to the extreme I find, but still there are situations of good humour and perhaps they are not all far off how life is spent in some families.