on 16 April 2009
Read the whole book before going out and it proved invaluable on the holiday. Really helped plan what sights we wanted to see, as well as being a great source for finding restaurants and cafes wherever we were. The guide is organised into chapters for each area, then a directory at the back lists shops, restaurants etc by area as well which is very useful when you want to find somewhere specific. The maps at the back, including a subway map, are detailed and very useful and prevented us from ever getting lost. The guide is very descriptive with bits of history here and there making it an interesting read as well as filling you with enthusiasm and excitement for your trip. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2009
Just back from two weeks in New York and DC. Both Rough Guides were helpful on our family holiday.
We did New York for a week, staying at Holiday Inn Long Island City.

The New York guide is the sharper book, feeling more current and tightly researched.

Chapters follow a Rough framework: Things-not-to-miss, Basics, Areas across NY (22), Context/History and Listings on where to stay, eat and shop.

Of 19 Things-not-to-miss, we visited only three. As the guide says, and as we found, "just wandering about can be an extremely fulfilling way to see the city".

The 'Basics' section is a good place to inform your arriving and surviving, for example buying a 7-day Metro Pass. The maps section is useful, identifying areas across New York, and detailing Streets and Avenues.

Rough descriptions of places we visited were spot on
- Pier 17 'fantastic views' (try to grab a seat upstairs)
- St Pauls Chapel 'moving ensemble' of 9/11 support (tiny church, big impact)
- Penn Station 'grimy' (don't plan to wait around)
- Rockefeller 'completely unobstructed views' (surely the must-do experience)

Our 15 year-old teenagers travelled with us. The half page of ideas for teenagers was good, but surely more is justified in a 450 page guide.

Overall, a good guide to an awesome city.
on 24 September 2010
I have mixed feelings on this book. I'm a huge fan of rough guides, always using them whenever available as I like the lay out and usually trust their suggestions. However, on a trip to New York last week, I found this version of the New York guide to be rather out of date despite only being published in Jan of last year. 2 of the restaurants recommended had shut (Xanta and Chanterelle) and we only found out after trekking across the city to find them. A bar that they recommended (StantonPublic) was dead and we found a much better place around the corner. In a place like New York where places are constantly coming and going it perhaps needs updating more freuqently. If you don't rely too much on its recommendations then it's a great guide to the main sights with interesting history and good maps, but be wary of relying on restaurant or bar tips.
on 1 November 2009
We will only have 30 hours in New York ! We want to see so much , how will we do it ? Well this book has given us a insight into the life of New York , where to go , how to get there. Full of tips, bursting with information, now we just need it to be next April!! New York , here we come!!
on 12 September 2010
Visiting New York for the first time as a visitor of Danish origin it can be rather critical to make the right choise when it comes to a guide.
The rough guide to New York is perfect for someone who wants an overview and at the same time like to be able to get more into the details.The Rough Guide to New York City
on 26 May 2010
Overall a good guide book to New York. Each of the areas of New York are described with points of interest, things to do or not (rough guide is quite straight forward about telling it like it is). Then there are separate chapters on bakeries/cafes; restaurants; bars; nightlife; shopping - each chapter is then subdivided into areas which can make it difficult if say you are in Midtown West and want to find a good coffee shop or bar. Those recommendations that I did take, were spot on.

Although the opening hours of attractions are listed, this isn't always the case for cafes - so found it difficult to find a breakfast place open in Greenwich district at 9.30am

Maps are OK, but some of the print is a bit small, especially the subway map - but then you can get larger ones from information centres etc.

The information supplied is good, I suppose whatever layout is chosen it won't suit everyone. Although it is heavy in the handbag - it is worthwhile carrying it around in case you change your mind about what to do in the day. I must admit I am a fan of rough guide books and always find that it saves time in hunting down places to eat.
on 9 June 2009
The last time I used a Rough Guide, I became very attached to it. The writing was funny and interesting, but most of all I appreciated how the the restaurants and hotels were listed from least expensive to most expensive. Back then, the guide really seemed geared towards the budget traveller -- and it made it seem acceptable to be a budget traveler!

But now, in this New York guide, the extravagant and the cheap 'n' cheerful are all mixed up, so that I have to wade through to find meals for less than $15.

To me it feels like Rough Guide has sold out, and is trying to attract the more well-heeled reader. Predictable, I suppose, as most business do this when they have a chance, but I'm still gutted.
on 2 September 2010
As it is our first time t New York this guide gave us a great starting point to the city. We researched before our trip on the places we wanted to see and the tips on the different attractions. This is a great book/resource for anyone traveling to NYC.
on 15 February 2010
This book has everything you want to know about New York and more information you didn't think you wanted to know. its clear and consise with excellent reviews and honest comments about aspects of the big apple
on 18 January 2011
This guide was so useful when i was in new york.
It has amazing places to stay, eat and things to do and see.
Perfect product in my eyes, it helped us have an amazing trip in NYC.