Once again, Hessayon comes up trumps with his simple, easy-to-follow and well-illustrated guide. There's everything you need to know about growing roses, from the qualities of different varieties to planting and care. The book has been significantly updated to take into account the latest varieties and fashions
My particular favourite is the rose troubles area, as the illustrations enable you to pinpoint exactly what problems you have and show you how to treat them.
This book is a must for anyone starting out or wanting to reinject some life into rosebed.
on 5 November 2006
Another great Dr Hessayon book

I'm not a rose person myself but I bought this book as my wife likes roses and we had a very sad looking rose in the back garden. I was going to dig it up and compost it, glad I didn't as it just didn't like the soil it was in.

I came across the book in a charity shop [...], turned out to be a bargain really.

The book covers all kinds of varieties of roses from Hybrid tea to patio and ground covering roses, even covers climbing and ramblers.

Fantastic photo evidence which helps to identify your roses, and a general description about it.

Covers what kind of rose will grow better and where is the best place to plant it.

I also found the section on how to identify diseases very helpful, it has great photos of the diseases that can affect your roses and it gives great information about how to treat it, it also covered the problem I was having with my rose.

Maintenance is covered in the book, this covered pruning and spraying.

Great references, which covers all the information you will probably ever need about roses.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 January 2012
This book harks back to the early days of the "Expert" series, and has a flavour of those 1950s rose-gardens with rectangles of brown soil stuck with spiny sticks, a few luridly-coloured blooms perched on the ends. Old-fashioned roses are covered, but none of it really makes your heart sing. This is a shame, as roses are one of the flowers that people react to very emotionally.

Where the book is very strong is on the traditional technicalities; on trouble-shooting and pests. But bear in mind that these books were originally produced in conjunction with a big agrochemical company, and the emphasis on chemicals is very strong. You may need pesticides occasionally, but the secret of healthy roses is to choose disease-resistant varieties and space them well out with other plants in between - not to choose the ones you like the look of, shove them together in an empty flower-bed and spray them to perdition once a fortnight!.

There are many better books on roses to use when choosing varieties for a garden. Two that are particularly well illustrated are Roses (The Pan garden plants series) and Peter Beales Classic Roses (less biased than the David Austin books). However, it can still be useful to have "The Rose Expert" by one as a guide to the technical considerations.
on 16 June 2012
I am new to rose gardening and wanted a good basic simple to understand book to help me on my way. With The Rose Expert that is exactly what I got, a no fuss or hype book that gave me all the information that I needed in easy to understand language. I would recommend it highly to any one just starting out with roses or even for those a little more experienced to brush up on a few of those things you may have forgotten.
on 15 December 2010
I have learnt all I know about gardening and horticulture from the Expert series of gardening books; they are thorough, well formatted and informative in every element they talk about; from non gardener to opening a cottage garden under the National Garden Scheme I can attribute my entire knowledge to these easy-to-read gardening and plant guides - you can always find what you are looking for, like I've just inherited a rose garden in a recent move and was able to ID all the roses even at this time of year using The Rose Expert. And have discovered I have a garden with the most revered fragranced roses. Thanks to the book I will know the culture of each, when to prune etc.etc. I would not look anywhere else for Garden and plant guidance than to the Expert series.
on 20 August 2015
This was a present for a lad in his early teens. He has found the sections on growing, pruning, etc. festinating. The section on all the different varieties is not his scene yet, but who knows what will come? Perhaps it will encourage his interest to develop.
on 10 August 2013
I love this book. It is clear and easy to follow and very informative. In fact I love this whole series of books, maybe because as a teenager in the 1970's my father had a few of these and raved about them! Foe a simple straight forward guide to the vagaries of variety, propogation and cultivation you will not go far wrong. Obviously chemicals and disease resistance articles may be out of date but the rest well a rose is still a rose, no chips or legislation to interfere with the inner gubbins!
on 15 August 2011
This book is great; I bought two, one for my dad and one for myself. It covers everything and is easily understood even by the layman that is myself. I am sure I wiil be referring to this book on many occasions.
on 12 June 2014
If you are a beginner with roses then this if the book for you.Well written with a good selection of roses giving all the information on height,scent, even feeding and dealing with pests.good value for the money.
The expert series is a must have. If you only ever own one set of gardening books these are the ones to go for. Idiot proof advise, explained in a down-to-earth way so no excuse for dead or diseased plants