VINE VOICEon 8 September 2011
This book would be very useful if one were re-designing the layout of a whole house or a single floor but it is less useful if one is looking to maximise the use of the space in one room. I'm looking to maximise storage, especially of books, while keeping a long narrow living area with windows at both ends visually comfortable and relaxing and not looking like a rather wide corridor so it's been of less help than I hoped. Having said that, I wish I'd had recourse to this volume to back me up in "discussions" with the architect when I converted my loft.

"House Planner" might have been a more accurate title than "Room Planner"
on 1 February 2011
Anyone thinking of extending or improving their home, or updating their interiors should read this book first - they will see their home in a completely new light and be left bursting with ideas and enthused at the newly discovered potential.
Michael Holmes
TV Property Expert, and Editor-in-Chief of Homebuilding & Renovating magazine, Real Homes magazine and Period Living magazine.
on 1 November 2015
As a designer I thought this book would have some good ideas to improve my design process but just seems to be examples of projects that have been carried out with no thought for practicality or cost just how to fit more rooms within the structure.
on 23 April 2016
Probably better for professionals than consumers, and more about house layout and room shapes than planning the layout and content of rooms. Even then it takes no account of externals like noise and sun direction. In our case we were looking for ways to maximise the utility in our planned house extensions, but since we have a room layout dating back to 1596 in parts, there are only two pages in this book (214/215) that tackle our situation at the level we need, and this is an old project where the client wanted a Greek village look in his room, so a '"stone bed" was created. Sadly, this book was of no help to us.
on 15 November 2005
This book is extraordinary. There are dozens and dozens of design solutions to all sorts of problems in flats, terraced houses and big family homes. The level of detail is great and there must be £1000's of free design advice in here with before and after room plans. Amazingly useful.
on 3 February 2011
This is an outstanding book at a great price. It's packed with creative solutions to common issues regarding interior space. The colour coded before and after plans are particularly useful in demonstrating how an interior could be changed to achieve a home's optimum potential. A unique & practical guide full of expert advice.
on 28 November 2014
I had actually read this before from the local library but it is worth having a copy. As others have said, it may be a little unsuitable for standard "add a room extensions" and the standard UK house but has interesting ideas and layouts that can lead to one's own
on 26 January 2014
The book is more about how to best use the space of a room, rather than a book full of floor plan ideas. But for the price you can't go wrong. It has some useful tips about every aspect of a room I.e. the lighting, layout and size.
on 10 May 2015
Just what I was looking for. So many ideas and easy to understand. The only thing that could have improved it is before and after photos.
on 8 October 2014
Given as a gift- recipient very pleased