TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 September 2012
Review
Rise of the Nine, book 3 of the Lorien Legacies series, quite simply as good as book one and book 2. Tight plot, clear and well defined characters, each with their own unique voice that comes across clearly all the way through the book. Not many people can pull off the multi narrator style but the author does it with style. What is essentially a film franchise is so much more in these books, great imagination, built on some very good writing.
The books pace is highly charged and driven by short (style) chapters, when reading it I could not put the book down because there was always another corner to look around, another chapter I could fit in before sleep. It builds to highly anticipated and exciting end.
It's a shame that there isn't any growth, being as good as the last book should be enough, but im looking for improvement, for more.
Given the volume of bad guys in this book I really expected the overall plot to move further, is the author spinning this out ?
Will I read the next one? Yes very much so, it's a fun book, its not taxing and its fast paced, that's what escapism is about.

Recommended
(Parm)

Description

Until I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive. Together we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others ...

I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others - including John. But so are they. They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They caught me in New York - but I escaped. I am Number Six. They want to finish what they started. But they'll have to fight us first.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 June 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great piece of recent science fiction, while it could appear to be a little formulaic, following the pattern of exceptional or super powered individuals familiar from comics, novels and films like the X-Men seeking to survive, evade and sometimes fight back against their foes, it does this very well. The style and pace are good, making for a page turning read, I am aware this is part of a series but I read and enjoyed this as a stand alone novel, so I believe anyone else could likewise.

I dont believe I would be wrong in charactising this as one of those young adult or adolescent reads which is aimed at a broad spectrum readership, that's to say adults can or its hoped will read and enjoy it too. As such it is a success. Its as good as many of its rivals and the villainous elements are exceptionally well done, not over the top and not cardboard cut out baddies either which you're just bidding your time with until the heroes succeed in knocking them down.

Something which is possibly more of a personal thing, the series such as Divergent or Hunger Games, which are great reads (better than the movies), can be easily decontextualised in a manner which is no good, younger readers perceive all authority or authority figures as the illegitimate authoritarian villains of the piece, there's less potential for that sort of thing with this novel, or the series for that matter, I think if you are considering buying it for a younger reader. The heroes are sort of intergalactic refugees who are living independent, low profile, assimilated lives and their foes are genocidal intergalactic war criminals hunting them down. Recommended.
on 27 July 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the third book in the Lorien Legacy series by Pittacus Lore. Pittacus Lore is a pen name and also a character in the story's history. It is a little icky how the other characters keep talking about him like he was the original superhero, but I have learned to deal with it through the three books in the series. This series is based around the idea that there are two races of aliens hiding out on Earth, fighting each other to the death. We have the Loriens, who are the goodies... there are not many of them at all, but those that there are are members of the Garde and all have awesome powers. The baddies are the Mogadorians, and just imagine something really ugly with big guns for them.

First thing's first: as much as I love this series, it needs wrapping up in the next book. There is only so long I can keep reading like this. What I am referring to is not the ridiculously fast, Mogadorian blasting pace. It's the Chests that almost all the Garde members carry about. I want to know what the stuff inside is (probably more than the Garde members do at this point!!) and I am starting to get a little annoyed when new things get pulled out and are suddenly super useful. It's convenient. Too convenient. I also feel really sorry for everyone that everywhere they go, they have to lug these ridiculous chests around with them; its like painting a sign over their heads that says "Alien from Lorien, come shoot me!"... and there are PLENTY of Mogadorians around who would love to do that. To be honest, there are so many Mogadorians about it is kind of surprising that they haven't won already; they must be super stupid.

That said, I freaking LOVE these books. They aren't deep, but they are exciting, page-turning and full of cool powers which I want to have. I want to be able to breathe underwater or stick to the ceiling and turn invisible! I love meeting the members of the Garde and finding out what awesome new powers they have, and I love it when they develop a new Legacy. This book really delivered on that front. I liked getting to know the Garde a little better, and I loved watching them work together as a team. This element is only going to get stronger as they race collectively towards the conclusion of the Legacy series, and hopefully kick Setracus Ra's butt into oblivion, taking all the rest of the Mogadorians with him.

The ending of The Rise of Nine left me in no doubt that there is at least one book more left to come, because of the nine members of the original Garde from Lorien, we still have not met number five. So One, Two and Three died before book one, Four, Six, Seven and Ten came along in book two; this time we get to meet Eight and Nine. I liked Nine a lot. He was flippant and very antagonistic, and I loved how he rubbed Four up the wrong way sometimes. He also turned out to be a total badass fighter, which I loved reading about! I think Six will go mad for him; they are a match made in Lorien! Eight was a little weird really. I won't say too much about him, but he did grow on me... and Marina. *wink* It was nice to see a tiny touch of romance thrown in this time. Bernie Kosar kind of stole the show again; he is such a fabulous character!

I expect the next (and hopefully final) book in the series will get going with a bang, just as this did. There isn't a lot of time between books and the action got going really quickly. In fact, it barely let up. There were just enough calm moments to give a "rise and fall" to the pacing, which helped me keep turning those pages.
on 13 May 2016
As you may recall at the end of the 2nd book, we were able to read from two different points of view – one from Four, or John Smith, and the other from Seven, Marina. Now in this book, the third book, we get three points of view. We still get Four’s and Seven’s, and now we can add Six’s!

So far in the Lorien Legacies we have met up with some interesting characters. Both alien and human; Lorien and Mogadorian and of course the trusty four-footer, two winged chimaera. The Numbers met include: Four, Six, Seven and Nine. Four being more the main protagonist has met up with his friend from Paradise Ohio, Sam.

Overall I found I am Number Four rather clichéd, with the relations of Four and Sarah and the whole high school scene. But this was turned around by how the story took off in The Power of Six. Featuring great overall development of the plot line and the changes in point of view in storytelling from the different Numbers. Similarly Seven had been given a great development and an interesting personality.

In The Rise of Nine this is, to my pleasure, continued. Now the storyline is divided in featuring Four and Nine as a group and Seven, Six and Ten. Now some might say Ten? Well you have to read the book to figure this out! A nice twist given by her introduction. Again this division did great things for the overall pacing and creating interest in the world of The Lorien Legacies. Following Four and Nine, who are determined to free Sam and get their Chests back from the Mogadorians, reveals more about Nine. Although he made a short appearance in The Power of Six, his story in slowly being told. And I was more than pleased that similarly to Seven, Nine also has a unique personality, be it more cocky, later when you get to know him better his personality switches to a more overall guardian true to his Garde Legacy. Nine’s Legacy, like all the other Garde is more than cool, and he doesn’t hesitate from showing them. In their quest Four and Nine have some funny dialogue and scenes in which they are placed and you see that they are quite the opposite in personality, where Four is somewhat more reserved and careful, Nine often faces situation head-on. In the end each character is unique and on one part they complement each other but there is also a polarity between them.

And I hadn’t actually noticed this in the 2nd book, either, but I just realized it reading this book, that there is a specific font-type associated with each POV. I don’t know why I didn’t actually notice it before, but there it is.

The Rise of Nine basically starts up where it left off at the end of The Power of Six. John, Nine, and John’s chæmera, Bernie Kosar (whose Lorien name is Hadley), group together after escaping the Mogadorian caves (unintentionally leaving Sam Goode behind in the caves), but we find out soon enough that not only are the Mogs on their tail, but the FBI is still after John as well, although it may not be for the sole reason of the incident in Paradise. You soon find realize that there could be more to the FBI chasing him than previously thought.

Going to the other side of the world. There are Six and Seven, Ten and Crayton. I mentioned that I had high hopes for Crayton and couldn’t put a finger on him whether his cause was just. Well I found it too bad that Crayton is more or less discarded pretty easily and found that his addition into the Lorien Legacies left something to be desired. Pittacus Lore could have used him to give a nice ring to the story but his premature death adds nothing. Six Seven and Ten, in their own quest searching for other Numbers get placed in their own perils. Six and Seven were already greatly developed and fall into the background. Instead Ten and another Number are focused on. I especially liked the sort of transformation that Ten underwent from a pretty scared girl to a more confident girl.

And then there is finally the introduction of the villain; Setrákus Ra, a powerful Mogadorian. Even with his introduction the powers of the Mogadorians remain pretty much illusive. Revealing only a blue shield, which Four touches and passes out as well as the whip that he utilizes. The motive of the Mogadorians still remains to kill the Numbers but in The Rise of Nine another alliance becomes clear, that of the US government and the Mogadorians. I am very curious on how this alliance will end up. The Mogadorians promised them weaponry and knowledge about other habitable planes. But a quick history lesson reveals that the Mogadrians take over habitable planets and eventually destroy them.. so will this alliance backfire in the end?

Looking back at all three books, the Garde and the Cepans are always on the run and fighting of the Mogadorians. In the beginning this was a nice idea. In being on the run there was a nice character development and it was a cool display of the legacy powers each Number had. But for me as the story progresses I think there is a certain trend developing. Each time the Numbers open a chest or just hideout for a few days they are suddenly discovered by the Mogadorians and this encounter ends up with the death of a Cepan and the escape of the Garde. Always in a flashy manner. I hope that this will change in the books to come. Now that most of the Numbers are found their final plan can come to fruition they only need to find the last one.

The battle scenes are fun, and there are quite a few, with even a few verbal ones that make for some tense moments.

Regarding the characters, let me just say most of these Lorien aliens/teenagers pretty much share very similar traits and characteristics as human teenagers. Whether that’s because they were raised on Earth, who knows. There’s a brave one, a shy one, an enigmatic one, an arrogant one, and of course, a lovesick one to name a few.

They all have different powers, that, when banded together, make them stronger so that they can beat the big bad evil leader.

One person that I have grown to admire through reading this third book is Six. She is probably my favorite characters of this series so far. Sure, she’s attractive and probably can get any guy she wants, but she does have a heart and cares for others, humans and Lorics alike. She is wonderfully capable of taking care of herself, as it’s known she’s had to do for quite a few years, is very sure of herself and her abilities, and doesn’t seem to let her emotions get the better of her. You find that almost all the Garde that know her seem to consider her the one to look up to, and she’s not arrogant about it at all.

The Rise of Nine is great addition, featuring funny and witty dialogue between Four and Nine. Full-tilt action in India with Six, Seven and Ten. And with the revealing of a the Mogadorian Setrákus Ra, there are enough aspects to keep the story lively and enjoyable. I only hope that in the books to come, now with most of the numbers as a team, that Pittacus Lore will steer away from the hiding->fighting->running cycle and shows what the Numbers are truly made off!
on 18 August 2015
This is book three in the 'Lorien Legacies' series so please read with caution if you wish to read books one (I am Number Four) and two (The Power of Six).

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Nine. That's all you need to know.

My Review

First, it must be said that I am in love with Nine. He is incredible and the more I got to know him, the more I loved him and wanted to know even more. One of the beautiful things about these books are the characters. I truly love all our protagonists - but of course Nine more than the others.

'The Rise of Nine' had a lot of action. The other books had loads but this was on another level. I think a good seventy percent was action. It was just so breathless I couldn't stop turning pages. But I'm used to that with the 'Lorien Legacies' books. However, I did want a little more interaction between the fantastic characters. Don't get me wrong, what interactions there were were excellent, I just wanted more of them. But what can I say? I'm a characters girl. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

All my points about book one and two still stand but this time I could fully appreciate all the different superpowers! I love superpowers, especially when they're written this well, with this much intensity. But who doesn't love superpowers, right?

Evaluation

Overall 9/10 - Nine, get it? But seriously, this is my favourite one in the series so far.

Would I recommend it? Yes, of course. I'm totally in love with these books.

Would I look up the author? Yes. I'm sad I don't have book four in front of me right now!

'The Rise of Nine' was action-packed, intense and breathless. Just what I expected.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the third in the Lorien series and if you haven't read the first two, it will not make much sense.

Lorien is a planet, rich, lush and fertile and peopled by a civilisation far in advance of ours. It has been invaded and all but destroyed by the brutish Mogadorians, who have used up all the resources of their own planet. Just before the end a rocket is sent towards earth carrying nine Garde children and their guardians. These children will grow to maturity hidden on earth until they develop their powers (Legacies) and grow strong enough to return to Lorien to defeat the Mogs. A special charm binds them - they can only be killed in order. If a Garde dies a scar forms round the ankles of the rest. At the start of this book, three have been killed but the rest are coming into their legacies and are trying to group together.

This is very much an action led series. We are given some details of Lorien and the Loric way of life, but the Mogadorians are characterless thugs. The only one who is given any individuality is Setràkus Ra, their leader and that is only as a monstrous source of evil. The Garde are individuals, but we have met them many times before in any American teen drama, so there are no real surprises.

In short, this is a sci-fi, good versus evil teen drama. It is exciting and fast paced and good enough for me to have wished it to have been better. I should imagine that it is aimed at mid to late teens, but older sci-fi fans will probably also enjoy it.
on 2 October 2013
This is really beginning to seem like a 'bank rolling' exercise for Pittacus Lore, whoever he is. While l accept it is not a series written for the adult audience the Rise of Nine is a pitiful effort compared with the first two, which were tight and well paced and generally well written.
The original idea is brilliant, but we are now getting frenzied bouts of activity 'linked' with gooey bits of dialogue between the characters who are no longer real, but parodies of the quite interesting folk we saw in the first two. And whenever they get in a tight scrape another (appropriate) Legacy (super power) immediately appears and 'with one bound our friends are free'!
No one is really explaining why the FBI and Mogadorians are in cahoots and, given the latters fire power why they need to bother. And will someone please get out the instruction manual from their Chest and find out what is inside!
And l have to say that Enid Blyton was better at relationships (Noddy and Big Ears) than Mr Lore. The 'issues' or 'love interest' elements of the book are almost farcical at this stage.
If l were a cynic l would conclude that the author and his publisher are trying to get the series out as fast as possible before the 'puff' is gone. Will l buy number 4 in the series? Well only if its REALLY cheap or l cannot borrow it. There must be a concluding episode where the Mogadorians and Mr Ra get their comeuppance! But please make it soon.
Seriously, there are plenty of books out there aimed at the younger reader which are very well written and enjoyed by a wider audience too. Pittacus Lore seems completely unable to maintain that standard. What a shame.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the third book in the Lorien Legacies series, and the adventure moves on apace. You do have to read this series in order, as the story in this third volume starts exactly where the last volume left off, and the multiple narrators in the book are not introduced in chapter headings etc, you simply have to figure out who they are from the tone and content of what they are saying. if you have not read the other books, you will be completely lost. I do think that this is one of the failings of the books as a series. They do not really indulge in a lot of back story, eager always to drive the narrative forward, and perhaps a few pages of introduction to set the scene either at the front of each subsequent novel, or an appendix at the back, would help enormously for either new readers, or those who have left it a while between volumes.

As the story is so interwoven with what has gone before, most of what I could say in specific terms would be a spoiler, and I don't want to do that, so I will say that the story continues with the Garde's attempts to reunite with each other, to fight the evil that is the Mogadorian invasion. All the old characters are there, as well as new characters who appear throughout the book in much the ways you would expect if you have read volume two.

This is a real, old fashioned rip roaring adventure, it is quite violent, which, I think makes it suitable for tens and ups, and only then if they have strong stomachs. Mid teens would be perfect in terms of age, but if you have younger, precocious readers it might work.

As the book starts in the middle of the story, so it ends, having moved the story on, but not completed it in any satisfactory manner, hence my impatience for the next one.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The fight for survival continues for the remaining Lorien teens; young gifted aliens living on earth who pose an increasing threat to their enemies the Mogadorians. The viewpoints alternate between Marina (aka Seven), John (aka Four) and Six, but Ella (Ten), Naveen (Eight) and Nine all feature heavily.

The Loriens not only have to battle the Mogs, they are also facing problems with the FBI; who have sided with the real enemy. The human agents introduced seem stupidly blinded by alien technology and never consider for a moment that the Mogs could still easily outgun them and destroy the planet.

Like the first two books in this series ("I Am Number Four" and "The Power of Six") there is plenty of explosive action; each Lorien has the opportunity to shine and display new abilities, and also face dire situations that could defeat them physically or emotionally. There is never a dull moment in a plot featuring pretty much one confrontation after another, with only quick breaks to set the scene when the narration switches between the key players.

Now my gripes; which may be considered unfair as this is an uncorrected proof copy. As this book is written in the first person it is sometimes difficult to immediately grasp whose perspective you are reading. I ended up having to read a few paragraphs of some chapters to place names and Legacies before I could work out who was narrating. The font does change to reflect a particular narrator; but I felt this book would benefit from headers containing the name of the character instead. There are also some grammar issues and there are a few small details that are incorrect; such as Marina saying that telepathy makes her feel sick, when I think she means teleportation.
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was looking forward to reading the third book in the Lorien series, with great anticipation. While book 2, `The Power of Six' left me slightly wanting, I was still curious and excited to know how `The Rise of Nine' would move the story on.

Book 3 carries on exactly from where Book 2 finished. Four and Nine are in the United States, while Six, Seven and Ten go across the globe in search of other Garde.

This time, the story is told by three narrators - Four, Six and Seven. At times, it is rather confusing, despite the use of different fonts to represent each narrative. The style does occasionally work well, but it does require a lot of concentration to keep up. Add to this, a constant barrage of conflicts, fights, battles, captures and escapes, and the pace of the story can be exhausting. From a plot point of view, we don't really learn too much more about the Loriens or the Mogs or Earthlings' role in the battle to save Lorien, either.

Like Book 2, Book 3 ends rather suddenly. There are no loose ends tied up, no more clues to satisfy our appetites. I would say this is my least favourite of the three so far, but I will definitely read the next instalment. It's hard to say whether the next book will be the finale or there will be more to come, but in any case, I hope there will be more answers to satisfy the reader.