on 14 August 2014
I have to be the dissenting voice on this one in the midst of the enthusiastic reviews. It is all right in terms of the writing, considering how abysmal are some of the self-published books.

Here is what does not work for me - the two protagonists were in their late thirties - early forties; but their collective voice came across as being a lot younger. I read both mature and young romances and enjoy both; but only when the characters act and 'speak' as people in their age-group would. Eve and Jake did not have an authentic voice that would fit in with their more 'mature' years. Although a woman approaching her forties would and even should have a young outlook, Eve's speech-pattern was more suited to that of a woman far younger. She was a family-court judge who talked like a college student.

I did have glimpses of her professional persona such as when she was helping Jake gain custody of his daughter. But then she would slide back into college-girl mode afterwards. For example - one day she said to Jake - " I am going to go blow-dry my hair and finish getting ready; cool?" I don't know that any career-oriented woman on the verge of her forties and who works as a judge would use words like "cool" and "babe" as though this is a natural part of their speech pattern. The way that Eve expressed herself was more in keeping with how her own twenty-year-old daughter would speak.

She also didn't 'think' as a woman in her middle years would. First sight she had of Jake, she was attracted to him - and that is perfectly understandable as he was described as a man with appealing good looks. But what didn't feel appropriate was Eve instantly entertaining romantic thoughts about him without once stopping to consider IF he was single? Here was a man who was not in the first flush of youth, a man who could well be married or at the very least a man who was more than likely be in a committed relationship. But all the while that Eve was feeling attracted to Jake, no thoughts crossed her mind as to his martial status. She did not have a prior knowledge of him, did not know anything about him, he was a stranger in every sense of the word; so it was possible that he was not a free agent? Eve simply went with the assumption that he was single and unattached. So all right, as it happened he was a free agent - but as far as this mature 'family-court judge lady was concerned, it didn't seem important for her to take a moment to think about it - JUST in case he WAS already committed to someone! So all in all, Eve's thought processes came across as that of a much younger, giddy, unthinking woman.

This was a mature couple - did I already mention that? Reason I couldn't get past that was because they acted as a young impetuous couple would, the first time and ALL the times that they had sex. Astonishing that they would simply take the chance that an unplanned pregnancy would not result EVERY time that Jake was in Eve's bed. I can imagine a college-age boy and girl 'forgetting' to act maturely - but an older-age couple who never once discussed 'protection'? It did not lend them an authentic voice as a man and a woman who had come through quite a few of life's tests and challenges and were now at the age when they would act and think in the manner that would be apposite to their maturity.

The story line in itself was predictable, there wasn't much to it other than their mutual, INSTANT attraction to each other and the frequency of times spent in the bedroom. That was about it really. It wasn't anything that I haven't read before, except that this was supposed to be a more 'mature romance' but the protagonists regressed to their college years way too often in their speech and the way that they acted. Calling each other "Babe" and "Beautiful", and Eve not once giving a thought to Jake's marital status when they first met - and their not using or referring at all to taking precautions in bed .... all that made this story a miss for me.. I am in two minds about buying part two, although I would still like to know what happened to her ex-husband.

Torn between two and a half stars and three for this rating.
Eve is damaged, her husband made sure of that. He had an affair with his secretary and now they are divorced, Eve is off men totally, non stop, forget it!

She heads off to Colorado in a rustic house on a ski resort town to lick her wounds and reassess.

Enters Jake.

Jake has been having it pretty horrendous with his wife, nothing but arguments, so a setting now to bring Jake and Eve together.

But Eve doesn't want to fall in love, she doesn't want another relationship.......Jake has fallen in love.

The ending is not a cliff hanger of such, but you know its not over until its over.........
Can't wait for book 2.

I was given a complimentary book from the author to read and review, get my viewpoint on it.

I thought it was a lovely story, flowed well, really lovely to snuggle up on the sofa with a cup of hot chocolate and get lost in the book.
on 12 February 2014
What drew me in? Well AL Parks second book, good description, lovely cover, i love snowy scenes, and the price, this was a bargain. I loved Jake and cannot say anymore than i wish i had me a Jake, he was just perfect and so ready for Eve to come into his life, and him into hers, he was such and all round nice guy. Glad there was a bit of angst on his part and also hope to see some of her family in the next book i felt like she was bit deserted by her daughters, but a well deserved 5 stars thankyou
on 6 December 2013
This book had me gripped from the moment I started it. I was drawn to the characters and I felt all the emotions that they went through. I truly enjoyed this book and would highly recommended it to anyone. If you want to read a book that you can easily relate to then this is a book for you. I laughed, cried and sighed and much more with the story. I can't wait for the second book I need more Eve and Jake. GO BUY THIS BOOK NOW!!!!
on 25 November 2014
what a brilliant story, lots of ups and downs truly life situations in which we know happens emotions that are real life well worth reading