Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 17 February 2015
Love the Raven, but more than half the book is a preview for a different book, which is really annoying when you want kindle books that you've read to all be at 100% not stuck somewhere in the middle!
Edgar Allan Poe was an early 19th century American writer, who died young at the age of 40. He was mainly known for his gothic and/or horror style. Like many of us, I first read a selection of his work in a high school anthology. And that was the last time that I have read any of his work, which is all too common outcome. That brief high school “sampling” had no follow-up. Lo’ this half century later, I’ve been re-visiting many of the authors in that high school anthology.

And Kindle makes it so much easier, and in this case, acquiring “The Raven” was free. A few keystrokes, and the work is literally in your hands. Over 60% of this edition is the introduction! I found that another Amazon reviewer described my sentiments precisely. And as I write this, there is a charge of plagiarism in the media, specifically that one potential Republican “First Lady” cribbed her speech from another actual “First Lady.” Therefore, I’d like to give full credit to Billie Shoemate who called it an “…overly-long and drawn out windbag of an introduction…” and went on to briefly describe a high school teacher who put so many off from further reading of any author in the anthology. Skip the introduction.

As for the poem itself, it has a cadence that is appealing. And lines that many of us might still remember, since they have filtered into our popular culture, for example, the opening: “Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary.” The author is reading late at night, lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore, when the raven comes to his room. The lost opportunities of life are summed up by the raven with “nevermore.”

The poem itself is only 15% of this edition, with the remainder being a recap of the more famous lines (which is, to a large degree, a repeat of the poem itself!) One can read the poem itself, with reflection, in about 10-15 minutes, and I’d recommend doing just that, for the first time reader, or a repeater. Like Shoemate, think the poem deserves 5-stars, but will give this edition only 4-stars.
on 19 June 2014
No. Not the poem, but the bit of story with it.
Although it was free for kindle so i shouldn't perhaps complain.
on 17 February 2014
My favourite poem.
Had the added bonus (though some may not see it that way) of part of the Mrs Poe story which was quite good and I may look out for the book to read the full story.
on 22 August 2014
wasn't a bad book although I thought the best part was the poem The Raven. Not my style of book but may be one I keep on the kindle.
on 21 February 2014
I just love this poem by Edgar Allan Poe. Nothing more, nothing less, defiantly worth a read to any fan.
on 5 February 2014
I love this book...I've read and reread since I was a kid and used to read it to mine,They loved it too
on 9 January 2014
Not the sort of thing I'd usually go for but I could still appreciate the hard work Poe put into this.
on 22 July 2014
Just incredible, every time I read it.

'Nuff said.
on 22 February 2016
You'd have to be mad not to enjoy this. An absolute classic.