Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 1997
One of the absolute best books I've ever read...of any genre! There are many "devotional" style books out there, but very few come close to this in either writing style, but more importantly in content. Probably the author's best work. Writes clearly, simply, and very powerfully. Best read in small chunks because even though the writing is clear, the thoughts are deep and require reflection before moving on.
on 22 July 1999
There are not many books that are so timeless and challenging as The Pursuit of God. If you are tired of modern evangelicalism's false ideas that we can come to Christ without forsaking the world, that being a Christian means nothing more than to sidestep hell one day, this book is for you. Prepare to glow with the presence of God while you read this - we were created to know God intimately, and this book beautifully makes that known. Read it and be changed forever.
on 11 December 2008
THIS BOOK POINTS OUT THE VERY ESSENCE OF CHRISTIANITY AND OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.I'M ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH IT AND ALREADY I CAN HONESTLY SAY ITS RIGHT UP THERE WITH MY FAVOURITE BOOKS,PROBABLY NUMBER 1 (BESIDES THE HOLY BIBLE WHICH IS ETERNALLY NUMBER ONE).THE PURSUIT OF GOD IS MY NUMBER ONE BOOK, NOT BECAUSE IT NECESSARILY EXCITES ME,ALTHOUGH IT CERTAINLY DOES,BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY BECAUSE IT CONVICTS ME TO THE VERY CORE OF MY SOUL.THE BOOK REALLY TEACHES US WHAT CHRISTIANITY IS REALLY ABOUT, ESPECIALLY IN AN AGE WHERE IT SEEMS TO HAVE LOST ITS ESSENTIAL MEANING.ONE REVIEWER SAID THE THAT THE CONTENT OF THIS BOOK IS SOMEWHAT PROPHETIC AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT I AGREE 100%.ITS SO RELEVANT TO OUR DAY THAT YOU CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT IT IS PROPHETIC,ITS AS IF A.W TOZER IS WITH US TODAY AND WROTE THIS BOOK YESTERDAY.TIMELESS!TIMELESS!TIMELESS! NOW I WILL BE HONEST, THE BOOK IS QUITE SMALL(ABOUT 93 PAGES) BUT ITS TAKING ME A LITTLE WHILE TO FINISH READING IT BECAUSE I HAVE SPENT MUCH TIME PONDERING ON THE RICHNESS OF TRUTH WITHIN ITS PAGES IN EVERY CHAPTER. I THINK I HAVE READ SOME CHAPTERS THREE TIMES OVER. WHAT AN AMAZINGLY LIFE CHANGING BOOK! A.W TOZER WAS AND THROUGH HIS WORKS STILL IS A GIFT TO THE BODY OF CHRIST,HIS WORKS HAVE STOOD THE TEST OF TIME, DEFINATELY ONE OF THE GREATEST CONTEMPORARY PREACHERS/LEADERS OF OUR GENERATION. I KNOW HE IS WITH THE LORD UP IN HEAVENLY GLORY BUT HIS WORKS HAVE BEEN PRESERVED SO THAT MANY OF US WHO ARE TRULY SEEKING GOD WOULD ENCOUNTER HIM(GOD)DAILY IN OUR LIVES.I AM A YOUNG 25 YEAR OLD MINISTER OF THE GOSPEL AND I HAVE BEEN PERSUADED OF THE TIMELESS TRUTHS IN THIS BOOK. BOTH YOUNG AND OLD NEED THIS BOOK PERIOD. NOTHING HE HAS WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK IS BEYOND THE SCRIPTURES.HE IS EXPOSITING SOME REAL BIBLICAL TRUTHS AND THAT IS CERTAINLY WHAT THE BODY OF CHRIST NEEDS RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.THIS BOOK HAS THE SIGNATURE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT ALL OVER IT, SO DONT HESITATE, BUY IT NOW, NOW, NOW! HALLELUJAH AND AMEN!!
on 2 June 1999
What a profound impact this book had and still has on me! I first read it in El-Salvador and was all but arrested by the Spirit of God has He illumined these pages to me. I have read it for many years after that time as well. This really should be in EVERY Christian's library.
on 31 December 1997
I actually found this book to be an above average book because it was punchy, honest, insightful and inspiring. Yet, I still rate it a 10 because I can't count the number of people who find this book to be their favorite Christian book ever. It forces and honest look into one's own heart, and challenges individuals beyond any lukewarm Christian life. It is a must read for individuals reading Christian books.
on 8 December 2010
This book came to me as a recommended follow to up to J.I. Packer's Knowing God. The first thing you will notice about this book is that it is extremely short. However, don't let that deceive you; it is very rich and almost paragraph gives food for thought.

Reading the biographical details of Tozer's life could lead you towards thinking he had abandoned sound theology for wishful mysticism. There are some traces in the book that caused me to raise my eyebrow where Tozer seemed to advocate an experientialist approach to theology, rather than sola scriptura. However, he states at the start that all experience has to be founded on sound theology. In this respect, it is very much a case for those looking for "solid food" that Paul refers to in 1 Corinthians 3. As such, I would not recommend this to a new christian or to someone who is investigating christianity, as there is much foundational knowledge which is assumed throughout. Were someone to start with Tozer, it would be very easy to get the wrong end of the stick.

But with that cautionary word out of the way, I have to say that this was a joy to read. Clearly written from a passionate heart, Tozer shows us a glimpse of what it means to move from merely knowing about God, to knowing God himself. One of my habits that gets me funny looks from fellow commuters on the train is my habit of underlining quotes in various books. Usually, this is quite rarefied, but in this instance it was more practical to keep my pen in my hand as I was reading than to keep putting it away and bring it back out again.

There is one genuine flaw in it, I believe. In a few instances dotted throughout the book, Tozer seems to adopt a slightly anti-intellectual and anti-science viewpoint, indicating that they are incompatible with christian belief. However, as a christian with a scientific background, I cannot agree with this worldview. A true understanding the power of science can only obtained when you understand its limitations. In my opinion, since God is outside of nature, no naturalistic outlook can ever lead to a complete understanding of God; science is the exploration of creation, working out how God put the cosmos together and how it works. So it is not a case that science is anti-christian, but rather that scientific methodology is (to borrow an analogy from N.T. Wright) like shooting arrows at the sun: it can take aim at God, but it will never hit.

This is a serious book for serious people. It is certainly one that I will be coming back to in the future, and would recommend for anyone wanting a guide in helping them get closer to God.
on 30 August 2011
This is an amazing book. It has really transformed my relationship with God- openeing my eyes to see more of WHO HE IS. I highly recommend it- prepare to be refreshed and challenged by this incredible book!
on 25 August 2005
Tozer is a great author, and this book clearly shows why. The pursuit of God is a vivid description of what needs changing in the church today. It's incredible that this book remains pertinent to the days we live in. Almost prophetic, in that sense.
on 1 May 2009
This book is a classic and is one of my faves! :D

About- Pursuing God without shame.

Audience-Anyone but needs to be read over and over to be absorbed fully as some parts can harder to understand than others.

Bottom Line - Read it and finish the book a different person when i read it i lfinished the book wnating more of God and pasiionate than before. A.W. Tozer was a very passionate for God and it shows through his literature and publications.

For those those who like A.W Tozer and similar authors ENJOY! :D
on 1 October 2002
Tozer best known work and in reading it you will find out why.
Gets straight to the point and says a vast amount in a very short work.
If you are a seeker after a closer walk with God look no further.