When reading this commentary, it is not difficult to see why it has remained a favorite amongst pastors for more than 100 years. There are three key elements which set this apart from its contemporaries, the first being that it gives an exposition, or verse-by-verse, annotation of each verse in the Bible. The second element is that it explores the framework of the text, the homiletics. Finally, it supplies the homilies with multiple model sermons from various authors. Also included is a translation as well as historical and geographical information.
The Evangelical Magazine and Missionary Chronicle declared, “This commentary bids fair to take a conspicuous place among the ever-multiplying aids to the study of the Holy Scriptures. It will revive the great work of Lange, and will far exceed the Speaker's Commentary in the bulk and fullness of its material. The peculiarity of the Pulpit Commentary is that it offers special assistance to the preacher: first by giving him a critical and exegetical exposition of the text of Scripture, and then providing him with succinct and helpful directions as to the preachable aspects of the chapter and paragraph already explained."
The print edition of this set typically retails for more than $1,000 making the current offered price a very good bargain. Due to its size, it has been broken up into nine separate volumes:
Genesis to Joshua
Judges to 2 Kings
1 Chronicles to Job
Psalms to Song of Songs
Isaiah to Daniel
Hosea to Malachi
Matthew to John
Act to Philippians
Colossians to Revelation
The footnotes have been placed in line with the text with each footnote number enclosed in red brackets (i.e.: ) and the text in green. There is also a linked table of contents at the beginning of each volume for ease of navigation.
* Over 22,000 pages with more than 95,000 entries
* One of the largest and exhaustive commentary sets of its kind
* Contributions from over 100 authors
* Expositions—with thorough verse-by-verse commentary of each verse of the Bible
* Homiletics—with the framework or overall look of the text
* Homilies—four to six sample sermons from various authors
* Detailed information on Biblical customs
* Historical and geographical information
* Translations of key Hebrew and Greek words
All 23 Volumes of the printed version are included in these nine volumes.
4. Ruth/1&2 Samuel
5. 1&2 Kings
6. 1&2 Chronicles
9. Proverbs/Ecclesiastes/Song of Solomon
14. Amos - Malachi
19. 1&2 Corinthians
20. Galatians - Colossians
21. 1&2 Thessalonians - James
22. 1&2 Peter - Revelation