Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2008
Pick up this book of short essays (each being only about 800 words) and before you know it, 100 pages has gone by. Ranging from the hilarious (fending off a burglar using a biography of Tolstoy) to the heartbreaking (the treatment of the elderly in British hospitals), Sue Townsend manages to share titbits from her very interesting life in small, easily digestible portions.

First written as a monthly column for Sainsbury's Magazine, these pieces are slice-of-life affairs. Sue's battles with her expanding waistline, her diminishing eyesight and the ticking clock are covered here in touching and very funny detail. I found this book impossible to put down, yet it would be relatively easy to dip in and out of on a long train journey or a flight. Not demanding, surely, but very satisfying; sort of like a natter with a good friend.
on 27 June 2012
I bought this for 50p at a church fete but it would have been good value at the full price. The stories are sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always fun. Woven through her musings on day to day 21st century life is the story of her battles with health problems and her failing sight. She is always light-hearted about these problems, never self-pitying and reveals herself as a lady of huge bravery. Mostly though just sit back and enjoy her hilarious comments on being a middle-aged woman in Britain today...
on 5 June 2003
A collection of Townsends articles written for Sainsbury's magazine. They have no common subject, she just writes whatever happens to be in her mind. An extremely accomplished and witty writter, she makes you laugh in one article and cry the next. Her strong character shines through as she battles with amongst others getting older and becoming blind. Formidable penmanship from quite a lady.
on 17 November 2012
So far all my middle aged girl friends who have read Sue T.'s tale couldn't put the story down.....we felt empathy, we laughed out loud at the audacity and extreme behaviour that developed......perhaps we secretly would like to follow suit but haven't the guts to.
This is delightful female escapism........woe betide my husband if he starts shed building, I'll know what to do won't I?!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2013
What started out as regular 800-word(ish) articles for Sainsbury's 'The Magazine' has been pulled together into this incredibly funny and often poigniant collection where Sue Townsend tells us all about the ups and downs of her life as writer and human being. Whether it's her poor relationship with the domestic appliances in her house, or the fact she seems to be the most burgalarised person I have ever heard of, everytime I put this book down I couldn't wait to pick it up again.

It's jam packed with little slices of life as experienced first hand by Sue and is worth every penny I paid to download it to my Kindle.

I was a huge fan of Sue's Adrian Mole books when I was a teenager and hadn't read anything of hers since. But on the strength of this book alone I've added all her books to my wishlist, the first of which - 'The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year' is already winging its way to me
on 3 September 2013
I've only read the first few chapters and, although well written with Sue Townsend's usual good humour, its simply an account of life's situations she's found herself in and not as entertaining as I thought it would be. Not sure I'll read to the end and wish I bought the other book of hers I was contemplating!
on 22 May 2016
I first read this book as a newly published hardback and it is still my go to cheer me up book. The wonderful blend of observational humour and British quirks make for a read that actually had me laugh out loud several times. My favourite is the essay about the cat who, although fat, makes himself look thin when visitors call in the hope of extra good. And lets not forget the corned beef and tinned pineapple on the same plate! Try this book. You will smile. Lots.
on 15 April 2014
reading this i could not stop laughing. The subjects range far and wide i enjoyed it so much i sent a copy to a friend
on 2 February 2013
I enjoyed this book, but wish I had read it in the era in which it was written - I had thought it was a recently authored book. Having said that, the subjects covered were quite interesting, and I have long been an admirer of Sue Townsend s books. I am now looking forward to reading The Ghost Children. In addition, this was my first go at reading a book on my new Kindle Fire, and it was GREAT!!
on 6 May 2014
This book is a compilation of the numerous pieces Sue Townsend wrote as columns for Sainsbury's "The Magazine." Sue Townsend had the ability to make great humour out of any situation, and one can hear her voice in every paragraph. I got this soon after her death - it's a good way to remember a talented woman, writer and humourist.