on 11 September 2011
A book I will definitely read again. I bought The Protocol by J Robert Kennedy to spend a relaxing weekend with a good book. It ended up costing me sleep. I couldn't put it down. The use of international locales and the mixture of ancient cults with modern forces is brilliantly carried out by Kennedy. I enjoy a book that makes you anticipate what will happen in the next chapter so that you don't want to take a break from it for fear you'll actually miss something. Kennedy delivers.
If you want fast and furious, if you can cope with a high body count, most of all if you like to be hugely entertained, then you can't do much better than J Robert Kennedy.

Having read and loved Depraved Difference, I started this, his earlier novel, with high hopes and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Take an archaeologist or two, a conspiracy, a secret society, the US military, the British police - mix in some car chases, a lot of gore and a little romance and you have the recipe for a cracking thriller that gallops along at breakneck speed.

This book has a huge cast and a fairly complicated plot but Kennedy manages to keep all the balls in the air till the very end and then catches them neatly and skilfully. Sure, you might have to suspend your disbelief from time to time, but that's no hardship - with likeable protagonists and some humour to lighten the tone, this is a great, fun read. Highly recommended.
on 30 January 2013
Take the ancient and mysterious crystal skulls, a secret society, add an archaelogist, black ops controlled by a deranged bad guy with power and you have the makings of a rip roaring adventure story. From the start the body count is high and the good guy is on the run. It leaps across the atlantic ending up with London being the war zone both past and present. The cast is huge and at first I needed a bit of paper to keep track of who was who but he does keep the storyline going so well it soon became superfluous. There is also a little love angle in the middle of a thriller.

I bought this for my Kindle because I did not know the author and at 62p the book is a snip. Now I am going to read the rest of the series. J Robert Kennedy is an author I will add to my favourites and I look forward to many a happy hour of reading. I loved it
on 17 April 2012
This is another of those books that once you start reading it you can't put it down. You really get to feel like you know the hero and care that all is going to be ok. The twists in the plot keep you guessing right up to the end, All in all a brilliant book well worth the read!
on 29 October 2012
I am a new convert to the Kindle and while it will never replace the book as far as I am concerned, what it absolutely is great for is finding new authors and not breaking the bank in terms of taking a chance on a novel. In this regard the Protocol was a very pleasant surprise for me (the price alone makes it a steal!), so much so that I'm already onto the second book - Brass Monkey. The trick with Adventure stories as far as I am concerned is the suspension of disbelief can't be so great as the story becomes effectively sci-fi related. Take Matthew Reilly's books for example, although I immensely enjoy them, they read more like an action movie than an adventure story. Kennedy's work however is more akin to a Cussler or Du Brul work and therefore personally far more enjoyable. The story and characters are good. Acton is a believable hero and more importantly although the book is centred on him, there are numerous other strong characters throughout the book who develop and make the story flow. There are some points which require you to suspend your disbelief too much - the whole Delta force as bad guys, never questioning orders including attacking New Scotland Yard is definitely a step too far, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a point which you can get over. For a first book, this is way above average and I look forward to reading future Acton books to see how his character fully develops. Thumbs up from this reviewer!
on 14 March 2012
Having never read a book by this author before I was a bit dubious as to whether I'd enjoy it, however I started reading it on Monday evening and finished reading it Wednesday lunchtime. The pace is non-stop and although it does include a rather high body count, I just couldn't wait to pick up my Kindle to carry on reading. A thoroughly enjoyable book and looking forward to Professor Acton's next adventure (already downloaded and trying to keep for my holiday!)
on 15 December 2012
Just a really enjoyable read. I enjoy Clive Cussler and also the Ben Hope series of Novels and this book is of similar flavour to those. I like the fact that professor Acton is a realistic character and not some ex special forces operative with superhuman skills. The story takes you on a gripping ride for his survival and finding a lull in the action so one can put the book down becomes very difficult. I'm going to download the next book in series right now.
on 3 June 2012
I will like to add that London has the technical advances cameras system in the world. A black hawk putting 12 men on a roof in the middle of the city? That air space is policed fully and you have to pass so many checks before entry. You would never get speeding cars and gun fire past the Ring of Steel as they call it.
British men using terms like Block, side walk, cube van, and so many more... is grating to a British reader.
Though I can understand that most American readers are to daft to not understand the proper and correct words for items. A cube is equal on all sides, I have never seen a Cube shaped Van... A box is flat on all sides, that's why we call them Box Vans. Simple and correct term.
One more thing, if the Oxford dictionary comes up with a fossil of a human ancestor, for a word you pick for the leader of a 2000 yr old secret group. Please Explain the term fully, it was rather funny, and I didn't have any Italy phrase book to hand. lol

However with all this Said... It was a very good book, fast paced and kept you reading. I will be reading the 2nd and 3rd book even with this little niggles.
Just Keep the US terms to a minimum when voicing a none US person, Robert. ;) Have a word with your editors.
on 13 January 2013
another enjoyable tale from this series.
action and travel brilliant.
looking forward to reading next story of james acton thrillers
on 16 August 2015
Excellent read. I was drawn along from start to finish. Compelling. Now for the next one!