Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.19

on 13 March 2012
Started reading this and found the story gripping, but was constantly cringing at the countless spelling and grammar mistakes in this. Spuriously applied apostrophes where they shouldn't be, and missing apostrophes where they should. Words such as "too" spelled as "to" etc. just make this incredibly hard to enjoy.

At the very least I would suggest the author asks an English teacher to proof read this and then republishes it without all the incredibly annoying mistakes.

On the positive side the story line is fast moving and gripping, and I was enthralled with how it was going to turn out, right up to the last chapter when the plot comes to an unlikely and unrealistic sudden end - as if the author got bored and decided to call it a day!

Overall this could be an enjoyable read, and it's a shame that something so minor let it down.
on 9 August 2012
I enjoyed the story, it was one of those ones where I kept finding time to read just a little more. Mystery, some action, socio-political comment. Main characters you can relate to and a decent plot. It worked for me. What definitely detracted from the experience was the grammar. Not just the poor spelling, rampant misuse of apostrophes (an apostrophe with an S is used to indicate possession, not the plural) and other silly mistakes but sometimes problems like the wrong pronoun. Sometimes the author goes even uses the wrong name, leaving you having to re-read and translate the sentence or, particularly towards the end of the book, give up on sentences which make no sense at all. Someone needs to proof-read this book so we can have a version which doesn't distract you with all the typing errors.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2013
A well-plotted story on the familiar 'alien visitation' theme, though with an intriguing twist this time, based on an interesting and quite plausible proposition. A British reporter and a NASA employee investigate a series of strange events, finding themselves in increasingly dangerous situations as they uncover the truth. Very much a page-turner, though this kindle version needed a thorough proof- reading: the confusion between 'it's' and 'its' was especially annoying.
on 28 April 2013
I have mixed views about this book. The author does have a good story to tell but he is severely hampered by his lack of skill in written English. I just had the feeling that he rushed to get the whole thing typed out and then didn't bother to do what we were all told at school - read it through before handing in your work - check for mistakes!

Good points:
It's well-plotted and paced, with new discoveries being made at appropriate points. I liked the characters and related to them. It's an imaginative tale on the familiar 'alien visitation' theme although it definitely has a few twists which make it unique, and without giving too much away it's certainly grand in its concept.

Bad points:
It is FULL of poor grammar and careless mistakes which should have been picked up, on every page. The author does not seem to know the difference between its and it's, your and you're, of and off, and uses them interchangeably. Apostrophes are used randomly and inappropriately, and are frequently missing where they should be: "our signals not going out" "his colleagues unusual warmth" "perked their ear's up".
Inappropriate use of adjectives: "Kelly struggled to remain dulcet as he..." and "only to make its beckoning chime more impactive."
Mixing up 'to' and 'too' as in "It all seems to incredible", "the caller was far to sincere".
Also the author does not know how to use question marks and frequently uses them at the end of sentences which are simply not questions, e.g. "Joshua guessed there would be scientific tests too, blood or urine samples?"
Don't even get me started on the long and convoluted sentences, with mis-applied commas abounding!

In summary, this feels like a rough draft in need of a great deal of refinement before publication. Also - and this gets distinctly worse towards the end - we are being "told, not shown" the story, which shows a lack of sophistication. If I were the author, I would get someone with a good grasp of written English to thoroughly edit and then re-publish the book. As other reviewers have already said, it's a good story with promise, spoilt by poor writing. Readers deserve better.
on 14 March 2012
Although an interesting idea, this is a long drawn out tale that lacks detail and is best described as an "outline" for a 5 season tv show. Where was the proof reader? Poor grammar throughout, I'm surprised I finished it. Sorry but not recommended.
on 4 March 2014
A good idea, but one of the most appallingly written books I have ever come across. It was only the basic concept that kept me reading to the end. This novel reads like something translated by a five year old from goodness knows what language, and transcribed for Kindle by a chimpanzee. The typos, the poor grammar, the use of twenty words where one would have done (and not even the correct words), the lack of continuity...and the ending was cringe-making beyond belief. Having said that, in the hands of someone with an adequate command of the English language, this would make a very good screenplay for a Hollywood blockbuster. So, I leave it to you to make your own mind up. You have been warned.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2014
Story was excellent, a very unique conspiracy tale and some great characters. The only downside for me was that after building the story to an exciting end game it finished way too quickly and could easily have been 40 - 50 pages longer. Despite this it is a very good read that i read in one go.
on 22 February 2012
I wasn't very sure about this when I started but found myself gripped by it.

One or two editing problems which were mildly distracting.

Very satisfying!
on 29 April 2014
I enjoyed the book immensely, I could not put it down!10 out of 10 for Jonathan Davison! I am looking forward to reading more of his. Books
on 4 March 2012
This is an excellent book well written with several exciting twists, i found it difficult to put down and holding my interest from beginning to endThe Prometheus Effect