on 8 May 2009
A very well written and detailed history of The Professionals including interviews, quotes and amusing anecdotes of many cast and crew members. From actors, producers, directors, stunt men and special effects men, to the production company's hair dresser. They all have their say with memories of what went on during the making of the show, including the problems, the hard work and the fun too; it's all in this book. Lots of background and technical information, deleted scenes, script changes, amusing stories and many wonderful behind the scenes photos. Not only that but it includes location/shooting schedules in incredible detail for every one of the 57 episodes. There is also a complete episode guide with synopsis, cast and production unit lists, including many previously uncredited. The action cars are listed for each episode too, showing real and false registration plates. There's a chapter on the three lead stars, Lewis Collins, Martin Shaw and Gordon Jackson and a detailed merchandise section. Something for everyone in this book, it's a highly entertaining and informative read, highly recommended.
on 15 January 2013
Wonderfull book packed with all the info & details one could wish for! ...But somehow I seemed to be hungering for just at least a few colour photos, I feel it would really bring "The Proffessional" back to life.
I'm guessing that this would have made the book too expensive?
Otherwise this would be the perfect Proffessionals book - Wish I could of given 4½ stars.
What about a colour companion to this book? (I would love!)
After delving into this Amazing blast from the past I have to update this & give it full five stars, all the details on locations & inside infromation is a must for any die hard "Professionals" fans".
Thanks to Bob Rocca for a wonderfull new vision of this ultimate series.
on 9 May 2009
Having waited eagerly for this book I am not disappointed. My first impression was that I needed to read the book carefully so I didn't miss anything. What impressed me so much was the sheer volume of interviews and quotes, background and technical information together with location and shooting schedules which are really interesting and described in detail. There are amusing anecdotes and lots of behind the scenes images both written and in pictures - these make this a wonderful read. The design and layout are clear. I have to be honest some of the photos look better than others but overall I think the number of pictures is good and it breaks up all the information so it can be digested easily. To summarise the book is easy to read - I enjoy Bob's writing style and it will be a useful reference guide for the dedicated fan.
on 13 May 2009
This is the definitive book on The Professionals and since author Bob Rocca has been researching since 1986, it is nothing short of comprehensive, well laid out, with fantastic never seen before photographs and exhaustive information on locations of every episode filmed as well as precise filming dates.
This is a joy to read and should be placed alongside The Sweeney companion on the book shelf. The best book I have bought this year by a mile. Go buy it!
on 11 May 2009
This book has clearly been a long time in preparation. If you think you know everything about the production of the late 70's tv series THE PROFESSIONALS, then you're almost certainly wrong.

This book isn't just an episode guide. It's an in-depth guide to the making of the series, incorporating comments from cast and crew alike. It is illustrated throughout, with many photos not having been seen before.

If you're a PROFESSIONALS fan, this book will be referred to again and again. A very comprehensive and detailed examination, all the more impressive since the book is being published a long time after the series finished airing.

I bet you'll reach for your DVDs again after reading it!
on 20 May 2011
Being a huge 'Professionals' fan in my youth, and with the advent of a new film this year, I found this book while searching for info of my childhood programme. This book is remarkable to say the least! The amount of background info from cast and crew involved in the show is amazing! It looks like Bob Rocca has tracked down most of the hundreds of crew members that worked on it and even includes a 'Foreword' from creator/producer Brian Clemens. Bob has researched the finest detail from locations used to production dates. Old memo's and paperwork have been included with numerous photos too.

It's extremely well written and easy to follow for even a casual fan of the show.

Top marks all round from me.....now all I need is for Bob to write a book on my other favourite of the time, 'The New Avengers'.
on 16 August 2009
This book is supurb in every detail and a MUST for anyone who loves the cult TV show The Professionals.
Bob has put years of painstaking research and dedication into this book and it shows! - packed full of location details, filming schedules, interviews, photographs and a whole lot more. From the first few pages I was hooked and learning new information about my favourite show.
This is simply the best book yet written on the subject.
on 10 May 2009
At last, a book I have been waiting for.
Its obviously written by someone with a love of this series, very knowledgable and well researched. Packed with useful program information. Complete with the authors collection of pictures some of which have never been published before.
All in all a book for the collectors and avid readers alike and will be a reference for some time to come to fans old and new.
on 26 November 2011
I bought this book recently after seeing the repeats of The Professionals on ITV 4. I have only really dipped in and out of it in terms of reading, although from what I have seen this book is very informative. If what I heard is true, that it took Bob Roca over 20 years to research, the book only serves to endorse this. There is an amazing amount of information contained within. There are also many black and white photographs throughout. I will probably only ever use the book as a reference guide, but don't let that put you off as I can fully understand why some will read this book cover to cover.

Highly recommended, whether you were a professionals fan or even if you would just like to find out more about this classic series.
on 29 May 2010
I absolutely love Bob Rocca's 'The Professionals' book. My copy is very dog eared now but that is my indicator of something I've enjoyed picking up again and again. It represents Bobs interest and research over the decades and it is clear that a lot of love and passion has gone into it's production. The cover is brilliant, very eye catching and highlights what I love about the show, the action, teamwork and fantastic leads. The book certainly hit the spot for me and I recommend it to any fan of the show or TV in that era. I particularly loved the stories about the things that went on behind the camera.

I note a some criticisms about spelling and the use of black and white photos. I for one can easily forgive the odd error especially in such a long book and I think the photos are fab even if they are black and white. Pfft I say! Not everything is measured in technical correctness, I prefer to measure the passion, the love and the enthusiasm which has gone into creating something that has given so much pleasure.

Well done Bob.