About the Author
Lesley Lewis, born in 1909 as Lesley Lawrence, was educated by governesses at her home, Pilgrims' Hall, near Pilgrims Hatch, Essex. She was one of the founding students of the newly formed Courthauld Institute, London. She was elected to the Society of Antiquaries in 1964, working for the Morris Committee. She also worked tirelessly for the Georgian Group and the Chelsea Society. She was vice-president of the Royal Archaeological Institute and was a trustee of Sir John Soane's museum. Her work for the protection of historic buildings and art work was unfailing. She died in January 2010, aged 100.