From the Back Cover
'McGivern succeeds in combining high-quality theoretical work with clear explanations and practical pointers. This book is a gem during the research process.' - Wybe T. Popma, Senior Lecturer Marketing, Brighton Business School
The Practise of Market Research offers a comprehensive and understandable account of the techniques and practical tasks involved in setting up and running marketing or social research projects.
Linked to the professional body MRS (the Market Research Society) and with plenty of real-life examples from big-name companies such as McDonalds and Levis as well as governments and charities, the author’s depth of insight and experience of the real world of market research is evident throughout this book.
- a well-rounded overview of market research
- strong coverage of both qualitative and quantitative aspects of market research, including research design, sampling, qualitative data analysis and research ethics
- valuable insight into the day-to-day tasks of a researcher
- guidance and examples on everything from writing a proposal and creating a project timetable to preparing a report and giving a presentation
- links to useful websites and downloadable tools and templates for students and a Lecturer’s Guide and PowerPoint slides for teachers online at www.pearsoned.co.uk/mcgivern.
This book is an ideal companion to any student’s market research course or research project and an indispensable guidebook with a long shelf-life for market research practitioners and people in the industry.
'This book gives a good overview of all the important aspects of market and social research. It clarifies the subject in a comprehensible manner from various angles and explains how to create questionnaires and analyse the results exceptionally well.'– Dr Ann Hartl, CEUS School of Business, Denmark
Yvonne McGivern has worked on the agency and client side and currently runs her own research consultancy. She taught research methods for many years at Queen’s University Belfast and at Trinity College Dublin. She is Joint Chief Examiner for the MRS Advanced Certificate in Market and Social Research Practice.