on 20 November 2012
I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in discovering and applying a proven, practical way of improving their posture. The author has an extremely rare gift of being able to write about a complex topic in a highly accessible way. The use of illustrations and case studies brings the ideas alive in a very engaging manner. The author's many years of experience shine through as she challenges commonly held beliefs about posture. There is a clear progression through the book, introducing Alexander Technique principles and always relating these to real-life examples. This kept me on board with the theory so that once I got to Section 2 (Postural 5-a-day exercises), I was confident to put the ideas into practice. In my experience, books about the Alexander Technique tend to shy away from suggesting ways of working alone - apart from suggesting lying down. What really sets this book apart is the author's invitation to start applying Alexander thinking processes to a range of specially designed exercises to improve posture. I'm sure this is going to be one of those books I return to again and again.
on 21 June 2013
Hurrah. A book on Alexander Technique for the general public Most books are written for people who practice the technique already, which is great for them, but majority of the population don't even know what it is. Carolyn Nichols book informs and gives people practical advice on how to start applying the principles. She has given information to allow people to start to explore their own bodies, without it becoming overwhelming. I think the methods she has used to communicate the information are varied and helpful. More please.
on 24 December 2012
This book is based on the "Alexander Course" which my wife has been on and this book is well worth having as it includes and has extra exercises which has benefitted her a lot as she used to suffer from neck and shoulder pain but now it has eased quite a lot, overall it's a good book, interesting and informative, and well worth having
on 24 June 2013
What a breath of fresh air this book is! Easy to read and lots of great pics. What I found particularly helpful was how I could easily refer back to it. A very useful addition to the bookshelf.
on 18 June 2013
I found this an excellent practical guide - well structured and intellligently organised. The illustrations are clear and easy to follow - the language conversational and without jargon.
on 31 October 2013
Well written and informative on a subject that is increasing with our teenagers. I bought the book for my son who plays sport and wants to prevent injury by making sure his posture is correct.

Great book would recommend.
on 3 March 2014
Been having Alexander lessons and borrowed this book from the library. I found it to be an excellent guide and vary useful between lessons and so bought my own copy.
on 23 April 2014
Easy to understand with a good selection of simple actions which can be taken to improve one's posture, appearance, and mindset.
on 4 June 2016
This is an excellent book explaining why a bad posture will impact on breathing, digestion because of the compresion and tensions. The introduction is quite long. This is to take you in the theory of good posture.
I like the 5 a day. exercises. this book has lots of picture that compares bad to good postures, lots of skeletons! It's fascinating.
on 10 September 2014
Great book recommended by my spinal surgeon, well priced and fast delivery too.