on 17 March 2014
This is the 4th in the Hangman's Daughter series and after reading the first 3 I thought it would be difficult to top those tales. This is a good read and though based in the medieval past of rural Bavaria it is still a good detective story and a real page turner. Who would enjoy this book? Those people who like an historical novel similar to Ellis Peters or Lindsey Davies and others of a similar nature will enjoy the attention to historical detail and those who like a good 'who dunnit' and are less bothered about the historical accuracy will also find it a good read as the historical facts are entered lightly and seamlessly into the tale and are indeed part of the overall story.
on 28 July 2013
The skill and care with which this book has been translated by the publisher, Amazon Crossing, is a testament to the original author's skill in writing it in the first place. They all thought it was worth the effort in the first place and so it has proven.
The build-up of the central characters, who are Kuisl the hangman, his daughter Magdalena and Simon her apothecary husband are joys to behold as the believable story progresses to a nail-biting conclusion. Also portrayed well are the smells and filth of the surroundings in the 17th century, in which I became totally immersed!
Not to finish such a compelling book would be a travesty, although I found it hard not to skip to the end as my frustration began to mount.
If there are any shortcomings in the book it is with the convoluted nature of the story, as the author chooses deliberately to toy with his readers, but such is the nature of many of those who would choose a book like this in the first place. The nearest comparison I would make would be to the British author C J Sansom and his books on the hunchback lawyer Shardlake. They do compare favourably.
Oliver Pötzsch, born in 1970, has worked for years as a scriptwriter for Bavarian television. He himself is a descendant of one of Bavaria's leading dynasties of executioners.
on 10 August 2013
The hangmn's daughter has now got two children, and is still ostracised by her community. This does not prevent her from going on a pilgrimage. Of course there is another murder mystery to solve as well as an outbreak of an infectious disease for her husband to cope with. Before long her father ,the hangman, has is sent for to help save his old friend from being tortured and out to death for the crime. At times the pieces fall in to place a little too contritely but the overall story is written in what seems to be a sound historical context, indeed the author descends from a hangmans family
on 10 August 2013
I stumbled upon these books by accident when looking for something different to download. Anyone who enjoys a good historical novel will love this book. Set in Bavaria in the 1600s this is the 3rd and latest book in the Hangman's Daughter series. It is a tale of murder and suspense giving a good insight to what it must have been like to live in this period. Also the trials of being what was known as being a 'dishonorable' person such as a hangman and his family. The book is a real page turner that has the reader enthralled from beginning to end. I loved it and can't wait for the next one.
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2015
Apologies for any confusion caused by my error in referring to book 3 of this series as book four, which of course is this one. I have all 5 novels currently in this series, which I am enjoying immensely as purely entertaining reading. I came across the first novel by accident, was intrigued, and ordered it. I became fatally addicted to the development of the characters and am progressing through the novels in order. They are well written and suspenseful stories set in the 17th century and I recommend them readily to anyone who just wants pleasant relaxation and likes historical fiction.
on 23 September 2013
I came across these novels by accident on the basis of "close your eyes and just pick up a book". No matter what it is, you have to read it and hopefully it will be good. This happened with the first one and I'm glad to say that the subsequent ones have all lived up to promise. I'm not sure about the technicalities of automata in 16th century Bavaria, seemed a bit advanced to me, but there was enough there to hold my interest. Not sure if I would have pursued the other books so arduously if this had been the first, but it's fine as a follow up to the others.
on 31 July 2013
I have been waiting for this book to be issued for over 6 months!! I was not disappointed. Oliver tells you all about the his history of
his family who were German Executioners centuries ago. It is quite amazing the detail he goes into and gets you immediately drawn into the plot. Set in a monastery where the monks have something to hide. A page turner without a doubt.
I highly recommend all of his books.
When is the next one due? Lets hope it is very soon, I cannot wait.
on 2 August 2013
Almost finished so perhaps reviewing a bit early, I gave this one 4 stars as I think it feels like it's a bit stretched out and could have been 100 pages shorter. In one of my earlier reviews I remarked on the number of secret tunnels in the stories and "Viola" they are here again. Next time I'm in Bavaria I shall keep an eye out for them. Despite my niggles still an enjoyable part of the series but needs to look outside some of the way the stories run.
on 3 November 2013
I have read all the books in the collection & enjoyed them all but this one was brilliant very vivid you could almost be in Bavaria with the characters I look forward to reading more by Oliver potzsch
on 10 September 2013
I gave this book five stars because it was as good as the first book i had read by Oliver Potzsch. the way he describes the areas he is writing about, I feel i am there following the hangman or his daughter , I am so addicted.

I would recommend this book to everybody who likes medieval mysteries.

Hope there is more mysteries to come about the hangman and his daughter.

Anna from Aberdeenshire.