Format: DVD|Change

A great chance to see Pixar shorts both old and new on one disc.

There are two types of shorts here- the 1980s ones (5 of them) from when CG was brand new, computers were less powerful than today's mobile phones and yet Pixar managed to give character and life to some simple objects in a brilliant way. There's an interesting 30-minute documentary which makes you realise that in the 80s animating was so heavily computer-programming and maths based and very far removed from modern CG packages. You can't fail to be impressed. "Luxo" remains an absolute classic, a defining moment in animation.

Then there's the later shorts (1997 and beyond) which are either test pieces, giving animators and directors their first taste of doing their own film, or spin-off shorts relating to their feature film work. These are still great- especially Jack Jack Attack which is just brilliant- but they're not the sheer technical marvel that the 1980s ones were. Some of them are less impressive than their features and very slightly disappointing. It's still great to see them all in one place though.
This is a charming collection of Pixar short films plus extras like a brief history of Pixar shorts, segments from Sesame Street and audio commentary. The films range from the very basic like Andre & Wally B from the early days, to the sophisticated like One Man Band, a filmette about 2 street musicians competing for a coin from a little girl in a European town square.

My favorites include Tin Toy in which a destructive baby goes on the rampage while the terrified toys cower under a couch and a drummer-boy toy tries to appease the little urchin, the uplifting Boundin' - the story of a sheep that suffered from depression after shearing until a jackalope comes by and brings out spectacular new talents in the sweet animal. This one has great country music and the story is a rhyming poem.

Jack-Jack Attack is the scary tale of a babysitter trying to control a weird baby who has supernatural powers, and in Knick Knack a snowman desperately tries to join the fun in the sun by attempting escape from his snow dome - the music here is especially charming. Another good one is Mater and the Ghostlight, a story of cars and trucks with a great country & western soundtrack.

I also enjoyed For the Birds, a simple story of little bluebirds who were nasty to a bigger, awkward bird and paid for it by losing their feathers, and Lifted, the story of an attempted UFO abduction that didn't quite work out because of the incompetence of the trainee abductor. Those who have seen Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles will probably not be too impressed, but I found the DVD highly entertaining and informative.
To be honest with you, I didn't really know much about Pixar before Toy Story came out, I was fascinated with their colourful graphics, and interesting style of animation. I knew it was all done on computer, and it just seemed to be better than the stuff I had seen before, so when Pixar Shorts came along, I had to see where they started.

It all started back in 1984, making Pixar over 25 years old now, and a great story about two animals made it all what it is today, although their first foray into animation was very short (about a minute in all) - you had to admire their persistence, as computers were not really made for animation back then - it was less than 1 kylobyte of memory back then, and they were working on computers that had 100 times less power than a mobile phone does today!

So what does this retrospective offer? A look back at their works - from the early days of animation right through to sub-stories from Cars, Monsters Inc and The Incredibles, some of their finest output. We get to see more quality towards 2007 - and the stories had more vocal work, with both Billy Crystal and John Goodman lending their tones to the characters. I just love the colour and vibrance of Pixar's work; the lovely blue skies which turn pink at night, then midnight blue, the colour of Buzz Lightyear's costume, and most of all, the vibrance of the movements of the characters.

My favourite piece here had to be The Ghost Light with the Cars cast - it was funny and light hearted. Even though their stories have a moral, they're really good fun and make them fun for kids and adults alike. I also enjoyed the one with Mike and his new car, John Goodman cracking me up as the big monster. There were some good moments in Jack Jack Attack too, which should amuse little ones.

This Blu-Ray is amazing too, and includes the uncompressed audio, which makes it brilliant. As I have said, the colours are vibrant and make this look wonderful. The best colour came in the short Gery's Game, which looked fantastic, but everything else looked just as good.

There are some good extras, like the history of Pixar, in a 22 minute feature. You also get bits and bobs from Sesame Street and some commentaries by the creators - making this a good disk. The only let down is this is short, (yes I see the irony) only lasting 1hr tops. It says it's volume one so I suspect in a few years time volume 2 will show up - but as they take so long to make I think it'll be another 25 years before that!

Worth a look if your studying animation - and for entertainment - as this is Pixar, one of the best in the scene at the moment.
on 9 October 2008
I recently got this DVD for my birthday, and we all had a great time watching it.

This DVD collection (also on blu-ray) contains all of Pixar's short films from The Adventures of Andre and Wally B (1984) to Lifted (2006). Although many of these shorts have appeared on home video releases of Pixar's feature length films (be it VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray), this DVD is still well worth it because not only is it nice to have them all available in one place, but also to experience Pixar's earlier works such as Tin Toy, Red's Dream and the aforementioned Andre and Wally B. The extras are also worth a look.

My top five:

- Luxo Jnr
- For The Birds
- Tin Toy
- Lifted
- Mike's New Car

If you like Pixar, then this DVD is a must, even if you have most of these already!
on 14 February 2011
I found this to be a really enjoyable Blu-Ray. It's nice to have all of the Pixar short films in one place on this Blu-Ray disc rather than searching through all of your Disney Pixar DVDs/Blu-Ray discs. Really love the superb quality of this on Blu-Ray as no one does High Definition like Disney. The only negative I found about this Blu-Ray release is that Tin Toy looked a bit grainy on Blu-Ray but that's just me being picky but despite that I'm still giving this Blu-Ray 5 stars as I think I am going to spend a lot of my spare time watching this and I look forward to more superb quality Disney Blu-Rays.
on 20 February 2009
Bought this DVD so that I could have the Pixar shorts on a single disc. Very very enjoyable to watch and interesting the see the quality and complexity of the images improve with each new short. A nice simple little gift (even if only for one's self!)
on 6 January 2009
This DVD pulls together all of Pixar's short films (so you may have some already), but my kids love it as all their favourite little films are on one DVD.

Tracing Pixar's development from the their original short film, up til their most recent (Lifted - very funny), there is plenty to entertain.
on 25 January 2011
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Amazon for always providing such a prompt and easy-to-use service. I normally don't have time to rate and review each product that I receive, so I thought I'd take a moment to send a message of appreciation to Amazon. I'm a teacher who specialises in using film to develop literacy skills. When I'm planning my lessons, I quite often think of DVDs that I need for a lesson in 2 days time - all I need to do is order it from Amazon and I know that the DVD will be with me as soon as possible - usually the next day.

Pixar Shorts is a fantastic resource for schools - and at home! It's hardly been out of the DVD player since it arrived. You know you're watching the best in the business when it's got a Pixar logo on the front.

Thanks again for your hard work.
It's greatly appreciated.
on 12 March 2009
Fabulous PIXAR movies collection.
Some say Computer animation lacks character likeability..... nonsense!
Great stories, enchanting characters a must for Blue Ray owners!!
A must for kids 3-90 years old.
on 30 November 2012
Always thought it would be lovely to have a copy of these shorts... Of course I didn't buy it for me, not at all, no-sir-ee... I of course bought it for my baby nephew and friends children when they come to visit... honest.
I love it - does what it says on the tin and nicely produced. Haven't looked at the extras yet (but it does come with them) as I'm trying to eek it out. Like a book with short chapters, you can't help but seeing 'just one more' and then before you know it you're done. A couple I've not seen before on here too... and now I'm going to have to get the second one.... for the nephew of course...!