on 2 June 2004
Brilliant! Since I bought The Physiotherapist's Pocket Book I have referred to it often. Although it has proved invaluable in my day-to-day work in an outpatients department, it has really come into its own during my respiratory on-calls and weekends. Just knowing that I can check normal values, contraindications, drugs and pathologies makes me feel a lot calmer when I am being called out at two o'clock in the morning!
In the short time I have had it, I have used this book extensively and it has answered almost all my questions. I would readily recommend it to all physiotherapist - though I think juniors and student physiotherapists, particularly, will find it indispensable.
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2004
This book is a very useful resource for physiotherapists and provides a great deal of information that is easily accessible. It's compact size means that the book can be carried around on the ward and provides information at your fingertips. The book is very well illustrated and it is clearly divided into sub-sections. I can't believe that this won't become an essential textbook for juniors and students.
on 30 November 2005
This book has been the best buy in my student life so far. Very easy to use and just enough detail. I know many qualified therapists who still keep a copy close to hand.
The book includes overviews of the main areas of Physio; Musculoskeletal, Neurology, Respiratory and also includes a Pharmacology section. It is an excellent quick reference guide and has easy to follow diagrams and charts. It outlines the basic information and principles and is structured and presented well. It has comprehensive musculoskeletal & neurological anatomy, tests and descriptions of common pathologies. It includes relevant informative data and contraindications to treatment. The pharmacology section includes an A - Z drugs list with descriptions. Medical abbreviations, electrotherapy precautions, conversion tables and Adult & Paediatric basic life support are also included. The book provides excellent references and further reading pointers for more detailed information.
The only negative thing I have to raise is that the book is light blue and black text. The book is purely a reference point and anyone wishing to study from it may be grateful of a colour copy. Don't let this put you off as it is an excellent book.
I would recommend this book to anyone studying Physiotherapy or working in the Physio field as it has the right amount of detail and is worth the money.
on 18 April 2006
This book has EVERYTHING in it from GCS to the upperlimb tension tests. Its small enough to carry in your clinic bag.

every student needs this book. it's like a cheat sheet when you can't remember what to do in a clinical situation.
on 13 September 2007
This pocket sized book is an absolute gem for the new/ student physiotherapist. It is packed full of the basic (and some more advanced) facts that you learn and put in to practice during early lectures and placements. In fact i'm sure it's a handy reminder even for experienced physiotherapists every now and then. The plastic cover and size make the book both convenient and hard wearing and therefore ideal to keep in your pocket and use day to day. The layout into Respiratory, Neurological, Pharmacology and Musculoskeletal sections make for easy referencing and finding facts quickly and efficiently. This is aided further by the appendices and clear diagrams and illustrations. Colour coded text high lighting titles from facts makes for easy browsing and information finding. Anatomy, specific tests, brain regions, dermatomes and myotomes, muscles and bones and common conditions are all covered in this goldmine of information. I can't fault this book in anyway when it comes to covering the basics of the knowledge and skills the physiotherapist needs and utilises day to day.
on 7 June 2007
This book has helped me when i just cant remember something or wanted to read up on something i had just come across. Its laid out well into the core sections of physiotherapy, and easy to follow. Worth purchasing in your first year!
on 10 April 2009
Every physio should have this book. its so handy- its small size and durable cover allows you to carry it with you and its well structured sections allow you to find exactly what your looking for in no time. easy to whip out and sneak a peak!the book is divided into neuromusculoskeletal anatomy, musculoskeletal, neurology, respiratory, pathology & pharmacology. as a student i found the pharmacology & abbreviations section very useful in deciphering notes. nothing is missed, all essential topics are covered in adequate depth.
most definitely reccommended.
on 12 February 2009
I'm currently a 1st year Physio student, I bought this book after seeing a copy one of my class mates had. It's been invaluable, all the information you need in a tiny book, great for checking facts out on the bus or getting a sneaky bit of revision in without having to lug all your textbooks around. I think it will also be great for the rest of my studies and my career after, again it's got all the facts and will fit into a pocket.
on 21 May 2015
while I'm not a professional physio, I found this book especially the diagrams enormously valuable in understanding the advice of my stroke rehab physios and the exercises and massage instructions they give me.
on 29 July 2015
I bought it as a present to a band 5 physiotherapist recommended by a band 6 physio. Both of them agreed this books is a bible in the field. All the necessary information always at hand and it actually fits in your pocket. Well, not in your jeans but certainly in your purse or bag. A must have, they said!