Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More

on 24 November 2006
I've never written a review for a book before but this one I felt I really had to. After struggling with the boring, technical monotony of Martin Evening's CS2 for Photographers, this book was an absolute joy. I can see some people have commented negatively about Scott's humour but for me that was part of the appeal. I actually read all the content of the pages rather than skimming the examples. Everything I needed to know for using Photoshop for my photography editing is in this book and it's well laid out with good clear examples. Most importantly for me it gave me clear information on how to get my printer to produce what I can see on screen. It did this without being too technical and getting into a level of colour management that, as an amateur photographer, I wouldn't have a clue about.

One of my primary goals was to get what I saw on screen out of my very expensive new printer without using a gallon of ink in test prints. This book delivered. Explaining ICC profiles and how to use them. Something which both Epson and the paper manufacturer I use failed to do.

There are some great techniques in this book. I especially like the ones for portrait editing and changing your image to strong b/w and duo-toning. A really inspiring book. I read half of it in one evening it was so compelling.

My advise is, if you've got your digital SLR, Photoshop and decent printer this is the book for you. Amaze your friends and family with the results (especially if you make your Mum look 10 years younger!!)

Nice one Scott!
on 26 January 2006
I have owned several Photoshop books including some described as "the bible", and I find the biggest problem with them is this: they go into great depths conveying how much the author knows about the subject, but when it comes to telling you a good place to start for yourself - "well that's something you will learn from experience - now go ahead and get 15 years under your belt, like I had to".
In this book Scott Kelby actually gives you the benefit of his experience - take the unsharp mask for instance, after a simple explanation of what the controls do he then gives you a range of settings that he personally prefers - some for interior shots, some for portraits, some for graphics etc. This is invaluable - I buy books to learn how the application will affect my images, not have a theory lesson as an author congratulates himself on how much he knows about Photoshop.
Great book
on 17 August 2006
This book will help you get the best out of this software. Other photoshop books while excellent,are often a little over technical.KELBYS humour may be a little grating in the book but once you know the effect you are looking for it never gets in the way. This book is hugely accessible. Essentially, you identify the effect you are trying to achieve and KELBY has a section for this and you follow the steps through 1-10 or whatever.Little assumed knowledge is expected in any effect. ( some books teach you something at the start but the effect you want to do is at the centre, so you need to read everything up front before you can do the effect. This book may not be advanced enough for some but it is excellent as an introduction. Even a year later with two other Adobe CS2 books, it is still the only book i reach for.
on 6 June 2005
The easiest most fun book to follow. It is amazing, I usually find instructions so boring but this book explains even the most complex fixes and makes it interesting too. He had me smiling throughout the book with his entertaining comments....better than any dummies guide.....
If, like me, you want a clear, precise and step by step instruction on using Photoshop CS this book is perfect. Each chapter covers important and useful aspects of photoshop cs which the instruction manual I found did not clearly explain or assumed you where already an expert.
on 29 August 2006
As many have mentioned the humour does become a bit tedious after the introduction sorry "the really important bit you just have to read or your computer will die", one of Kelbys repeated lines. If you can put up with this then you will find every bit of information in this book useful. I'm sure there will be some CS2 mastercraftsmen out there who wont need Kelbys help but for the rest of us mere mortals it covers everything in easy to digest step by steps.

I only gave it 4 instead of 5 as i got bored repeatedly not laughing at not very funny one liners.
on 4 December 2005
I have been using Photoshop for several years already, but having recently bought this book I have learnt so much more. CS2 has so many extra features in it which this book helps you to understand and use effectively in adding that finishing touch to your photographs. Highly recommend for beginners and more advanced users - it is written in easy to follow, good humoured, plain english, but it doesn't seem as if it's spelling things out for you step by step as if you're stupid.
on 5 March 2006
Scott Kelby's book is certainly worthy of praise and it is full of excellent advice. Unfortunately my copy of the book had one complete chapter printed twice!
Many people might also find Kelby's "humour" a little annoying at times, I certainly did. Overall though the book is good, but not as good as Martin Evening's Adobe Photoshop for Photographers.
on 11 March 2007
I wanted a book that would explain in simple terms how to get the best out of Photoshop CS2 and this is it! The author not only tells you step by step what to do, he does so in a fun and easy to understand way. This book now sits on my desk so that whenever I need to sharpen a picture, or whiten a subjects eyes, I just pick it up, turn to the page, do as I'm told and I have the perfect picture! Exactly the kind of book I was looking for! Thank you Scott Kelby!
on 14 June 2005
This is an excellent, no-nonsense Photoshop book. Unlike many other PS books I've read in the past, this is not a text book, nor does it expect you to wade through pages and pages of settings.
In a straightforward way, it tells you exactly how to achieve the most common effects with Photoshop (i.e. the best way to improve your photos, how to replace colours in a photo, how to make someone appear younger (or thinner!) etc).
I've owned a few "Photoshop Bible" type books before, and they are really glorified manuals, which get boring after a while. This is a real field guide that shows you how the professionals achieve their results.
I'd class this as a 'must have' book for CS2 owners.
on 14 February 2006
The author adopts a very pleasant style which I found amusing and entertaining, I can imagine some would disagree. The section on RAW image manipulation is good and other aspects of Photosho CS2 are clearly explained in a manner that the user can relate to their own work. Everything from setting up your camera to making similar adjustments that photoshop works in unison with your needs are covered in an easy to understand way.
One of the better Photoshop books available. I would certainly buy another book by this author