Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2015
This is a really useful book in thinking about photography and practicing it reflectively and 'reflexively'. But if all you ever want to do is take a decent picture and learn about cameras, f-stops and digital ISOs - this is not for you. Those leaving negative reviews for this 'playbook' on the basis there as little about technique should probably focus on more instructional manuals which don't require as much thinking - or simply learn from the aesthetic emphasis of sites like 500px.com where it's about technical brilliance. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, photography is for everyone. However, by the same token I feel it is not a snobbish or intellectual-only position for someone to state that's only a *slither* of what photography is about, and it seems a bit mean to attack the amount of work that went into collating this quality diverse compendium. If you know multimedia artist Brian Eno (or his Roxy Music and ambient music) you might be aware that in the 1970s he published a deck of cards to get the practitioner out of creative blocks and thinking beyond prettiness - he named them "Oblique Strategies" - this book is the photography version of that in some ways - and follows that rolling-the-creative-dice tradition. Some other excellent publications along this line are film director and writer Miranda July's "Learning to Love You More" and the more accessible Keri Smith's "How to be an Explorer of The World" which involve more than photographs. But I think it's fairly clear this book isn't for everyone, sad, because all it requires is curiosity - my four year old can do some of these exercises. Reflective photographers, or those pursuing philosophical or academic, or immersive 'process' orientated work will also love this book, from, as I say, kids, all the way up to PhD level. I practice photography for process as much as product and even though I am a professional, I practice photography for the taking of photographs and the effect it has on my blood pressure, mental health and conceptual take on the world.
on 15 October 2015
I bought this because I'm always looking for ideas and approaches to push me out of my photographic comfort zone - I certainly didn't expect - or want - a technical book. With 307 'contributions', I reckoned if 20 were stimulating, thought-provoking that would be more than OK. It's actually a great concept and could have been a really interesting production. Unfortunately, this is very far from the case. I'm not at all sure who this book is for (the authors certainly don't tell us who might find it useful). There are contributions from many photography teachers/lecturers as if this is a stimulus/ideas/philosophy book for educators but the teaching strategies (or - from the other angle - learning/creative strategies for students) are so banal ('your photography will be stronger if you've got something to say'), unimaginative or so pompously meaningless or so well known (playng devils advocate) that I can't imagine experienced teachers or motivated students finding it very enlightening or fresh. It's difficult to avoid the thought that many of the contributors - not just those who contribute a single sentence (for a single sentence can be highly significant) are simply having a laugh - it certainly crossed my mind that this is some wonderful spoof. Still some people have found it interesting so vive la difference!
on 19 September 2014
This is book is NOT what the title wants us to believe.

I like it a lot but but some of the "assignments" and "ideas" are so vague or philosophical that I just sat down, read it again
to try to find out, what on earth they wanted me to photograph.

Some people seem to like The Photographer's Playbook as you get an insight into how photographers and artists think. I find this
interesting too, that's for sure, but then the publisher should have named the book differently.

Try to read a few cases before you buy.

Good luck!
on 11 March 2015
haven't read all through the book yet but what I have is very, very interesting. Ideas on projects I never would have thought of. Great stuff.
on 13 January 2015
A jewel of a book...you will never run out of ideas to shoot! :) Be inspired and do more!
on 3 December 2015
Very nice book full of excelent ideas...... Photography is the principal objectif
on 28 April 2016
I bought this item for my husband for our wedding anniversary and he was thrilled with it and looking forward to working through the tasks. It was delivered very quickly and so was all wrapped for the special day for him! Thankyou.
on 29 July 2014
Love this book - loads of ideas to fuel my imagination - highly recommend this book for anyone who is studying or has an interest in photography
on 27 May 2016
Very interesting book to learn to think visually and express an idea or a story.
Plenty of excercises to practice this language without shooting always the same images everyone does...
on 23 March 2015
Not a book to be read from cover to cover in a week. Best when probed at random and allowed to inspire you. Any assignment can be anything and everything you want it to be. Contributors and their work are worth the research and can be inspirational as well. Enjoy it! I do.