Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 1998
I did some research on Horror for my degree and can honestly say that this was the most informative book on the subject that I have read. Covers narrative plotting, a very interesting theory on art-horror, art-suspense as opposed to the ordinary horror, suspense we feel in everyday lives.
Clear, precise and persuasive from beginning to end. I put it right up there with Mamet's 'On Directing Film'.
If you`re looking into horror, get it. You certainly won`t be disappointed.
on 4 May 2014
This is THE text on the subject of horror philosophy and should be the starting place for anyone looking to investigate the genre further.

I've read this multiple times now and while I certainly don't agree with key aspects of it (I still think Carroll stretches too far by trying to universalize the emotion across media) it is a brilliantly structured piece of thinking which provides a rational framework for a full analysis of the subject matter. For a philosophical text it is both clear and thorough but thankfully of digestible length.
on 15 August 1999
I warmly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for some theoretical insight into the horror genre. I did my Master's thesis on supernatural horror in literature and film and this is by far the best book I have found on the subject. Carroll's unobtrusive style and genuine interest in popular culture make his book a very pleasant read, yet I have found The Philosophy of Horror to be much superior to the writings of Freud, Todorov, or Kristeva on related topics. A must.