Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2010
I have not finished reading the book yet, but I can say it is written in an easy to understand style (I am not a dog trainer). It helped me to understand why my parents dog behaves the way it does. :) The author has a good sense of humor, you will not get bored reading it...
on 17 October 2012
This book has proved invaluable to me in aiding me to train my pet gun dog. It is explained in plain English and is easy to understand and follow. The excersises really do work so my pet gun dog will be well trained and in joy
Her time with me.
on 8 April 2013
I bought this book after we got our first 'pet' gundog who had spent the first 11 months of her life in gundog training. Lez writes clearly - everything is informative and friendly and down to earth. It's easy to read and easy to understand, not full of gundog terminology and it certainly doesn't make a 'pet' gundog owner feel like an outsider at an exclusive club! Lez obviously loves her dogs and her insights into their behaviours and motivators are excellent.

But, most importantly, the results we've had from using this book have been astounding. Using Lez's instructions, our 'pulling-on-the-lead' dog has disappeared almost immediately, and we're making steps forward every time we practice. It's amazing - we're happier and our dog is happier too.

Money well spent and a highly recommended read.
on 3 January 2012
This book is great. It covers from puppy to adult. We have an 11 month old Pet Lab that we intend to use for the odd day shooting and it has been a great help. It is simple to use and covers all aspect of owning a Pet gundog. Does exacly what it says on the label.
on 12 September 2014
Best gun book I have read to date! Highly recommend to anyone wishing to train their pup to have some decent manners or even impeccable ones! It's very readable, for everyone, and just thoroughly practical with great ideas.
Thank you Lez Graham for writing it and making training "available" without having to spend a fortune.
on 7 October 2010
I felt the item was fairly expensive as a paperback, however it is very informative and has been an asset during gndog training. would recommend to anyone who has a Gundog as a pet as sensibly written.
on 2 December 2010
I am in the process of reading up again prior to getting a second 'pet' gun dog.
This is a new title added to my ever expanding collection and stands out as one of my must re-read books. It is by far one of the easiest to understand, and quite challenging in the light it sheds on dogs behaviour. I particularly like the way there runs a comparable theme through the book of how families function, both canine and human, very thought provoking in the remarkable similarities.
Whilst it may appeal to 'gun dog' pet owners by it's title, it really has equal value for a 'non gun dog' type breed if you want to understand more about your dog.

Great read, excellent value with pictures demonstrating the exercises.

Highly recommended
on 7 June 2014
This book is superb. Backs up much of the information I have learnt at Gundog Training, and through experience; but the behaviour in around the house, for pet gundogs (or any other), is invaluable.

Disappointingly I have just found this book at a specialist, working dog company, for £15.99 (not including p&p). Amazon is usually competative, in my experience, but I feel aggrieved in this case.
on 9 May 2012
Lez presents her advice in an easy to read, understand and implement format. I have tried some of the methods advocated early in the book and they work well so high hopes for the more advanced techniques.
on 17 February 2014
Given the credentials of the author I was rather surprised to find theories and terms in this book that I (imho) would consider either outdated or unproven. I also found the quality of writing generally poor and the tone irritating at times.

That said, the book is absolutely crammed full of a wide range of training exercises, most of which are good, and the section on retrieves towards the end is particularly useful.