on 13 July 2014
This is the first book I have come across that demonstrates how to apply Assessment for Learning to Maths. It is particularly valuable for providing an alternative to 'tick and flick' marking. I am about to start my NQT year and this book has given me the skills and tools to teach maths with confidence.
on 25 July 2014
This is just the book I have been looking for. Lots of good advice on applying AfL and ideas to spruce up lessons. The book is well written and there was enough information in there to hold my attention throughout. There are many examples of good questions and activities that aren't run of the mill and will hopefully add richness and variety to my lessons in the future.
on 29 August 2014
Amazing little book with some great ideas. My copy is now full if Post-It notes to remind me of the best bits. Perfect for any new teachers as well as those with more experience!!
on 14 August 2014
Some good ideas and hints. Comprehensive and easy to follow
on 25 October 2014
This is an excellent, very readable book with lots of good ideas. It was also a good reminder that the culture in the classroom has to be 'right' for lessons to be consistently outstanding - try reading it alongside Shirley Clarke's new book to achieve this. 'The Perfect Maths Lesson' is highly recommended in it's own right for it's practical ideas. The self-evaluation check lists are good too for benchmarking current practice and planning for improvement.
on 6 September 2014
Fabulous - does what it says on the tin.
on 24 October 2015
Best to read cover to cover
This was one of three books I got as a leaving gift before I started my journey to become a Maths teacher. I browsed through it quickly when I started but left it in the Maths room - as there wasn't much to learn by just browsing it. So after surviving the first term I finally found some time to dig deeper.
The whole book is exactly 100 pages ignoring the introduction and the references. These 100 pages are split into 6 chapters:
1. Engaging Learners in Maths lessons
2. Challenging Learners in Maths lessons
3. Independent Learning in Maths lessons
4. Assessment of, for and as Learning in Maths lessons
5. Relationships for Learning in Maths Lessons
6. The Perfect Maths Lesson Self-Assessment

The author describes in each chapter what makes a lesson 'perfect', gives Ofsted quotes to back it up, adds examples and finishes with a check-list. This format might not work for everyone. Citing Ofted might look too much of following the party line in education. The same goes for a check-list with tick marks.

To me the book worked for the following reasons
1. I always felt that pupils learning was targeted first - Ofsted or a tick list just came afterwards
2. There are many examples given throughout each chapter that connect the general topic with specific parts of the curriculum
3. All the ideas appear workable and I certainly will use some or modify others to include into my future lessons

What would make the book 'perfect': An index with all the ideas in this book to more easily find them again after reading it the first time.
on 31 March 2015
This book was a really interesting read for a trainee teacher. It covers many areas and really got me thinking about how I will plan my lessons.

I recommend it to new and old teachers alike!
on 9 February 2015
Great for my PGCE secondary maths course !
on 28 December 2014
Good for a school maths lesson - not enough on uses and reasons for maths as I thought there'd be.