- Paperback: 420 pages
- Publisher: University of Chicago Press; Reprint edition (30 Sept. 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0226871835
- ISBN-13: 978-0226871837
- Product Dimensions: 14.6 x 2.8 x 22.2 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 698,822 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Passage to Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Shaping of America Paperback – 30 Sep 2009
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"Walls reclaims for the present a man whose personality and work had a formative influence on the cultural landscape of antebellum America and whose legacy may to good effect be used in addressing current affairs. I recommend The Passage to Cosmos as a fine piece of Humboldt scholarship, a heartfelt plea for environmental holism, and an enjoyable read." (Science)"
About the Author
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Make no mistake about it, this is a very personal work, but the research and documentation is exhaustive. I applaud her for her energy and spirit of enthusiasm exhibited in this work. Humboldt once again comes alive through these pages.
Tom Potter, President, Thoreau Society
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > United States
- Books > Biography > Science, Mathematics & Technology > Science
- Books > History > North America > Civil War, American Indian Wars, Pioneers 1801-1900
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Science
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference