on 22 July 2014
This book is a very helpful summary of the key events that have taken place in the Israel / Palestine conflict since it began over 100 years ago. It is very easy to read and draws out the important points in each part of the chronology without labouring over the detail. Crucially, and unusually, it is written entirely objectively and without implicit bias for one side. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the history of this conflict and who wants to understand the context of today's fighting.
on 14 April 2014
I needed a short factual book to enable me to come to grips with what was the real and unbiased assessment of the Israeli/Palestinian situaton and this book ticked all the boxes for me. I feel that I can now go on the read other books now that I have a base to start from.
on 28 October 2013
An excellent summary - the author manages to simplify what seemed and extremely complex issue into one which was manageable and easy to understand. Bunton takes a chronological approach to explaining the conflict and follows its development from the late 19th century to the present day. Would highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to understand more about this hugely significant conflict
on 14 November 2013
As a so-called specialist on the topic I read this with a degree of hesitation as I wanted something balanced and accurate for my under graduate and post graduate students. This is the best 'introduction' I have found. It is succinct, accessible and balanced. All you could ask. It is very good and for any one who wants a fair idea (it can do no more than that) this is as good a starting point as any.
on 3 August 2014
This topic is very much in the news. The author provides a historical (from Ottoman and British eras) and balanced account of how this conflict developed and why the various parties have acted as they have; both due internal pressures and influences from neighbouring states and as after effects of the cold war. Thus the book can act as a resource to understand issues involved.
on 15 August 2014
Found the book well written, informative and most importantly balanced in its analysis. It lost two stars however due to the fact that the maps contained within the kindle edition are unreadable. Considering the conflict centres on the struggle for control of the land referred to as 'mandate Palestine', not having any readable maps to accompany the text is a serious deficit.
on 27 July 2014
Very readable. Seemed unbiased and clear in chronology. An excellent start in building some knowledge about this century old crisis. Highly recommended.
on 15 September 2014
If, like me, you have very little knowledge of the Israel, Palestine conflict then this book is for you. It's a step by step guide chronicling the history of the conflict. It's a hugely interesting read and has helped me better understand an area of the world that previously I'd ignored. The author is seemingly objective in his writing, which for me was essential when I chose this book.
on 11 September 2014
I liked this book. Good mix of facts, analysis and balanced conclusions which highlight the problems of a century old challenge. So many victims on either side and so much political resentment. Will we see lasting peace in our lifetime?
on 17 October 2014
What was behind the Arab - Israel conflict? I had a vague idea about Zionism and that Israel is a few months older than I am but was otherwise ignorant. Reading a biography of Einstein, Zionism came up again - as a Jew and a very public figure in the first half of the 20th century how could it not? So I decided to find out more and bought this Kindle edition. Martin Bunton has, in my opinion, provided a thorough and well written guide to the historical causes behind the conflict. The post first world war dividing up of the Ottoman empire, the British wish to protect the security of its trade routes. The disregard for native Arabs who formed 90% of the population with Jews making up the remaining 10% living on what was effectively and unnamed land provide some of the ingredients. The whole population never having experienced self determination being passed from one empire to another. The buying up of the most fertile land by Jews, usually from rich absentee Arab, dare we say Islamic, landowners providing the embryo of the state of Israel are described without criticism. I could go on but recommend you read the book.

If you are put off by the title which suggests brevity don't be. The book is not as short as the title suggests.

One, perhaps at least one, reviewer complained about the small size of the graphics in the Kindle edition. On Android tablets, and I think on Kindle devices but my battery is flat and I can't check this until later. These can be viewed full screen by holding the finger on the image until the menu appears and selecting the magnify symbol.