on 22 August 2001
Not many people want to think about death, which is the topic this book deals with so eloquently and honestly. I often felt that as a pagan I should understand and comprehend the idea of death within my spirituality. Its a subject that I feel isn't well dealt with by pagan authors and so I'm forever thankful to Starhawk and the Reclaiming Collective (the book is not merely a Starhawk work but a collection of work by many members of her group, the Reclaiming Collective) for this book. I admit that the concept of death is frightening and the book recognises this; it deals with a delicate subject with grace and poetry. I am certain that it has equipped me with with a greater ability to accept and honour death and also to deal with other's passing. The book realises the importance of the grieving process and the importance of accepting death as a part of the cycles of life. Its important to make it clear this isn't a morbid book, instead I found it full of hope and light. As it says in the title, its a book about living too. When a friend of mine bought me this book a few weeks ago, it helped me to come to terms with a loss I suffered some years ago now and I'm ever grateful to the authors. The book is not only helpful to pagans, but many of ideas and suggestions can also be adapted to any religious path. Blessings and light.
on 16 December 1999
This book helped a close friend of mine when her father died and she recommended it to me. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read a book about death - how depressing! However, as a pagan I wanted greater insight on to how to approach death from a spiritual perspective. This book not only achieved that, but also helped me re-examine what I'd like to happen with my passing, often a topic many people don't think about. All in all a really good read which was a really good support when I had a death in my family. As the title says its not just about death, but living as well. I can't recommend it enough!
on 1 October 2009
I bought this because I was planning a funeral. It was inspiring and wonderful. I used some of the contents in the funeral. But more than that I found reading it as I thought about the planning very healing. We had a woodland burial and many of the participants said how appropriate it was and how it was the best funeral they had ever been to.
on 5 December 2013
The Pagan Book of Living and Dying is well written and easy to follow and offers guidance to anyone interested in Pagan beliefs on life, death and re-birth. Very helpful to those planning or involved in creating a meaningful Pagan funeral celebration.
on 27 July 2014
This book is awesome. I truly admire Starhawks work and this is her at her very best. This book me on a spiritual journey and led me out of the darkness of grief.
A must for anyone facing terminal illness or the loss of someone.
on 1 April 2015
Sadly didn't get to read it before my mum passed- no-one's fault that's just the way it was. Lovely book arrived on time. Once I've read it I'll be ready for the next death when it arrives- which it will!
on 19 February 2016
Lots of useful information written in a really concise way. Facing up to such things is very difficult. This book takes a lot of the guessing out of what to do in a highly emotional situation where it's difficult to think straight.
on 20 June 2016
Thoroughly enjoyable, thought-provoking and useful. I haven't finished it yet, as I'm dipping in and out of it, but so far, definitely can recommend it.
on 4 April 2015
marvellous book, just what I required to arrange my own passing.
on 10 May 2014
Very fast delivery packed with care thank you