Director Francis Coppola's adaptation of the popular SE Hinton novel about the price of rebellious youth is notable chiefly for the stunning cast of young actors who went on to rich and varied careers. In supporting roles, the film features the likes of Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Diane Lane, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, and Tom Waits, among others. The story centres on two rival gangs in the early 1960s Midwest, and the violent turf wars that escalate and tragically claim young lives. C Thomas Howell plays the central character who yearns to prove himself and be accepted by his older brothers' gang, while at the same time finding his first love and dreaming of a life beyond his dead end existence. Geared toward the teenage crowd, The Outsiders
nonetheless features some fine direction from Coppola in a story that evokes memories of the classic coming-of-age films of the 1950s. --Robert Lane
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA’S powerful film of S.E. Hinton’s classic novel captures how it feels to be caught between childhood’s innocence and adulthood’s disillusionment. The ensemble is the original Brat Pack: MATT DILLON, TOM CRUISE, EMILIO ESTEVEZ, C. THOMAS HOWELL, DIANE LANE, PATRICK SWAYZE, ROB LOWE AND RALPH MACCHIO. In an intensely visual style, Coppola has made these street rats and their struggle both heroic and unforgettable.
They grew up on the outside of society. They weren’t looking for a fight. They were looking to belong. In 1966 Tulsa, teenagers come two ways. If you’re a “soc”, you’ve got money, cars, a future. But if you’re a “greaser”, you’re an outsider with only your friends... and a dream that someday you’ll finally belong.
- Introduction and Audio Commentary with Francis Ford Coppola.
- Audio Commentary with Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Diane Lane, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio and Patrick Swayze.
- Staying Gold: A look Back at “The Outsiders”.
- S.E. Hinton on Location in Tulsa.
- The Casting of “The Outsiders”.
- NBC’s News Today from 1983 “The Outsiders Started by School Petition”.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes.
- A Collectible Booklet “The True Story”
the story behind the movie.
- 8 Exclusive Postcards - Portraits of_ Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze,
Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe,
C. Thomas Howell, Emilio Estevez