TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 February 2012
I have had a pair of NF Hedgehogs for the last 2-3 years and have loved them - more comfortable than similar offerings from Merrel and others. The only reason I bought this pair was because the tread on the sole was wearing away - but given how much I have worn them, I think they have lasted very well.

These are slightly lighter than my previous pair and initially they feel stiff, but they soon loosen up and feel very supportive. I have proper walking boots for hard terrain, but inevitably I come back to these, when walking around the Sussex Downs and further afield.

The main feature is the use of GoreTex, which allows then to be breathable but waterproof - which is essential in this kind of shoe. Anything else in this kind of cross-trainer meets walking shoe, is just going to mean soggy feet and an unpleasant walk.

The other big selling point is the sole - which is very grippy and feels like it can deal with any kind of slippery surface well. I was most pleased to discover that Amazon had started stocking these and there have been some good bargains available around January.

I can't recommend them highly enough.
On the evidence, the pair of Mark III Hedgehogs I bought were the last of the line so far as my foot size is concerned. On top of the asking price for the shoes, I paid for carriage from Spain, which seems over the top, but I have found my 2008 Hedgehogs highly satisfactory and believe the Mark IV model is not an improvement, so was anxious to secure a new pair that was as similar as possible to my now worn-out originals.

I have a pair of heavy walking boots too (Scapa), but for most activities between those demanding conventional polished leather shoes and the walking boots I have for six years worn the Hedgehogs. That has included all-day every-day wear on holiday in several countries, and visits to London and other UK destinations, as well as general wear local to my home. They have had one replacement pair of laces, but have otherwise kept going without any attention, keeping my feet comfortable and dry. The leather and rubber parts of the uppers are now visibly worn, and the soles worn right down, but the insole has held out, as has the Gore-Tex lining the upper.

The new pair are similarly comfortable in use and, assuming I continue with much the same lifestyle, I look forward to a further six years of good service. If, as seems likely, the laces don't last that long, I guess the replacement laces I bought two years ago will go again (Round Cord 5mm Waxed Cotton Hiking Walking Work Boots Laces).
on 14 November 2011
This is the 2nd pair of these I have bought the first have lasted 2 years of daily use and are now a bit tatty. I was a bit surprised that the same shoes I bought 2 years ago are now on average £25-£30 more expensive than before but Hey Ho!

I bought these because they were the cheapest pair with the goretex lining. I have found them to be comfortable from the start with excellent grip in all conditions and weathers. For the purpose they are designed for i have found them great on foot paths and easy trails but would want more ankle support for more challenging routes.
on 7 March 2013
Anyone who knows what plantar fasciitis or heel spur is like, knows how painful it is walking in most shoes.

I have a pair of these and have found them to be one of the better shoes for this ailment.

NORTHFACE R & D read this .... If you made this shoe with a toe protector they could be worn legally in a work/warehouse environment.

Most people who suffer with this condition are always working on their feet if NORTHFACE could turn this well heel supported shoe into a work wear shoe, I am sure it would be an absolute hit in the work place as well as in the wild.

They are light and well padded for impact on the heel.

I spent £30 on inserts for my work shoes and a complete waste of money compared to the NF GTX's They have improved my life !
on 24 April 2014
I bought these as a replacement for my Merrills which, after 3 years of day-in day-out use, were finally starting to fall apart. I use them principally for work, where they need to good walking shoes for the journey to and from the office, comfortable and light enough to wear throughout the day, and sturdy and practical for when I go out onto building sites. I've had these for three months and so far they've hit the mark on every front, effectively doing the job of three pairs of shoes.

Summary -
Warm on cold days, cool enough on warmer days
Lightweight but still sturdy
Splash proof and breathable
Great support
Exceptionally comfortable
on 28 May 2013
I've worn Hedgehogs for flat walking situations for some time; the fit is ok for my feet as they are made with an American last therefore are a different shape to some other walking shoes. There are a few reviews from customers who say the fit isn't correct; the fact is that many different manufacturers make shoes using their own specifications, therefore a size 8 in one brand won't necessarily be the same size as a size 8 in another brand. It is worth shopping around to find the best fit for your own feet as there are lots of shoes that include the best features of these shoes, namely a Gore tex lining and a Vibram sole; choose the ones that fit best.
on 23 February 2012
I have had north face shoes before and I have always been happy with them, I have had others but always come back to them
I walk in alsorts of weather with the dog and was sick of getting my feet wet .there are so many shoes that are advertised as
waterproof but you still end up with wet feet.
but not with the hedgehog`s they are light and comfortable and waterproof ,infact I foget I have them on.
The grip has been great and in the recent ice I have felt safe from slipping or falling even at the end of the lead
the only down side its the lace`s are a bit long
on 29 March 2012
I was dubious when I sent for this Hiking Shoe for my husband, mainly because I live in Spain & worried about the fitting.
I had no need to worry, I sent for a size 9 & on receipt they fitted him perfectly.
My husband says they are extremely comfortable especially when walking over rough ground.
I was really surprised just how quickly I received them living in Spain, just four days from the order.
I would recommend the product & the service. Well done Amazon.
on 11 September 2012
wow, these are probably the most comfortable shoes i own. when you walk you can feel the cushioning on the bottom of your feet. and the grip is fantastic. they are well put together and im sure are going to last me for years to come. im confident i wont be falling on my butt when the snow arrives this year. buy them, they are brilliant.....
on 15 March 2014
This is now the second pair that I have purchased as I wore the first pair out.
They are VERY comfortable, VERY sturdy whilst not being too heavy or a weight to the feet.
They hold the water out and, once more, I'm really pleased to have picked another pair up at a competitive price.