Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 12 June 2014
I was instantly drawn to this novel purely from three words in the title; mysterious, bakery and Paris. Three words that just seem to fit together and let me to read a lovely story.

Edith was an instantly likable character. Thinking that her life has got stuck in a bit of a rut, she makes the scary decision of applying for a job at a bakery in Paris. It's a big step for her and takes her completely out of her comfort zone. Things don't start off right either when she thinks she's going to be working in Paris when actually she is working in the town of Compiègne, an hour's train ride from Paris. She then also has an unfriendly boss to contend with, Madame Moreau. Being back in Ireland is starting to look more appealing! And then there is the mystery surrounding the bakery, why won't Madame Moreau let her into the basement where all the food is baked?

I really enjoyed the mystery part of this story. I felt that something magical was afoot and throughout the whole book it had that sense of enchantment and unusual goings on.

This had some great secondary characters too like Nicole who befriends Edith and Manu, who works closely with Madame Moreau.

The setting of Compiègne, despite being set in the winter months really sounded idyllic. I really felt transported to France and wanted to be there with Edith.

My only tiny criticism is that I would have liked more build up and story line surrounding the mystery. I felt that we found out too quickly and not as much was made of it as it could have been. However that is just my opinion.

This was a really heartwarming, lovely story that was so easy to get lost in.
The Irish Edith is looking for change in her life. She applies for a job in a bakery in France to escape grief an suffering at home. She can see herself working in the busy and wonderful centre of Paris. When she arrives in the city of love she discovers that the bakery is in Compiègne instead. She decides to give it a try though and soon she makes friends in the small town. The bakery isn't just a bakery, it has a history. Slowly the heartbroken and shy Edith starts to discover other sides of her personality. Will she be able to find herself in France?

The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris is a must read for anyone who loves France. Evie Gaughan has captured that atmosphere very well. I could almost taste the delicious croissants and the fresh and crisp pain au levain. Edith is shy and withdrawn at first, but being in France changes that. Of course there's a wonderful Frenchman who livens up the story. While reading this book I had to suppress the urge to visit Compiègne immediately. I could clearly see the beautiful and charming French cobblestone streets with the timber houses, they were brought to life so perfectly. The spark of magical realism gives this novel some extra charm. The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris is such a sweet and wonderful story, I liked it a lot!
First things first; mystery, bakery, Paris; how could you not want to pick up this darling novel and dip in and out of this story. Those three things instantly got me itching to read and the cover is sublime. As the blurb suggests the book follows Edith who, throwing caution to the wind, decides to apply for a bakery in Paris. On arrival things aren’t quite how they seem; she’s in Compiègne rather than Paris, her boss Madame Moreau is a little unfriendly and there is a little mystery surrounding the bakery. Why is unable to go down to see where the sumptuous products are created? Throw in the mysterious photographer Hugo and it’s getting a little worrying. Will this move to Paris be the move she’s always wanted? Or would she have been better staying in Dublin. All will be revealed.

I really adored this book; I thought it was well constructed with a real understanding of how to build a plot-line. The characters are strong and loveable even the slightly stroppy Madame Moreau; each is built with a different set of characteristics which help the story to take form and shape. In terms of our main female protagonist she starts a little waiflike but as her French improves and she settles in her gutsy nature really starts to shine. I also adored Nicole who befriends Edith, her drive and tenacity mixed with her sweet nature was wonderful to read. Hugo is a dashing fellow and I thought his romantic touches were darling.

I must admit the magical/mystery touch did take me a little while to warm to although no spoilers here as to what happens in the end. For me it felt a little inauthentic but the enchanting writing of the books as a whole it did fit in and I thought it was well integrated. I also felt that we found out the mystery too quickly and it could have been pulled apart more as to build the tension. As such an important part of the story it needed a bit more time. The writing style was honestly delightful; the descriptions of France, the idyllic little village and the delicious pastries the writing moved with pace and style; I really did feel transported inside the fictional world.

Overall this is a gorgeous book of love, wit, determination and pastry and from page one I knew that I would want to come back to this writer. It really is a cracking read with attention to detail and a real understanding of how to construct characters. If the mystery has been lingered on a little more I think I would have enjoyed the build-up more but a delightful read

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
on 6 May 2015
After finding herself feeding mints to an unhappy child like some sort of maiden aunt, Edith Lane decides enough is enough and something drastic must be done. She answers an advert in the paper for an English speaking manager for a bakery in Paris and when, to her surprise, she gets accepted immediately she whips out a French phrasebook and books a flight. Quiet and unassuming Edith finds herself not in Paris but in a beautiful town about an hours drive away and in a very small room which would be more suited to a mouse. Deciding adventure doesn't necessarily mean immediate gratuitous pleasure she stays anyway and quickly settles in with the locals. But who is curling the croissants at 4am and why can't she go down to the basement?

I loved Edith and this book is an absolute cracker with a cast of wonderful characters who ooze 'Frenchness'. It's about a woman who, having spent several years looking after other people, broke free of the doldrums and sets out to see what she can do to get some adventure out of life. There is a love interest but it is fraught with moral implications. There are moments in the book which had me in stitches particularly when Edith is in a club and comes face to face with the hole in the floor which serves as the loo - the joys of French plumbing. This is a book which encourages independence and standing up for what is right and a story of a strong community who is appreciative of the past and proud of who they are.

Evie Gaughan's writing style is on point and so engaging. Right from page one I was hooked - there's humour, a cracking story and likable characters. Take advantage of the 'Look Inside' on Amazon and have a read for yourself.
on 18 October 2014
I received this copy from Evie Gaughan in exchange for an honest review. So here it goes!

Edith Lane has had enough with her life in Ireland and decides to take a leap into the unknown by moving to France. Even though this means leaving her father behind, Edith knows she needs a new challenge, one she might be able to find in the vintage French bakery she managed to get a job at. Yet, when Edith arrives at the small bakery on Rue De Paris in the antique town of Compiègne where she thought she was going to be in actual Paris, she isn’t exactly welcomed with open arms by the owner. But Edith is determined to give it her best shot and before she knows it, she is learning all about the mysterious ins and outs of the bakery while trying to figure out her own life and wishes at the same time.

Edith also gets to know a gorgeous man of course. I felt like their feelings for each other developed a little to quickly, but it was a real pleasure reading about them. Unfortunately, Hugo is not who Edith thought he was in the beginning. While reading this book, in my mind, I could clearly see the beautiful and charming French cobblestone streets with the timber houses, they were brought to life so perfectly & could even smell taste the lovely treats that were been made daily in the bakery.

This book is a heart warming story about love, friendship and the liberty to find the right thing in life with some humor thrown into the mix and with many twists and turns. It is nicely written and the story flows easily & it was so easy to get lost in.

Thank you to Evie Gaughan for allowing me to read and review this book. This book is available on Kindle.
on 11 June 2014
*Book received by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Edith has gone through a lot in the past and is ready for a new start in France. She thinks, she got a job in Paris, but actually it’s an hour outside the city in a tiny little bakery.
The description in the blurb is right though, it’s magical. The way Evie describes the scenes and the story has a real spark. I really liked it.

The start is hard but she gets into to the job more and more and also gets to know her boss better after a while. She makes friends with Nicole and her husband Johnny. They are really nice and caring and they have a lot of fun together. Nicole is a real sunshine and Johnny brings in a lot of musical knowledge, which they can really use at some point in the story.

Edith also gets to know a gorgeous man of course. I felt like their feelings for each other developed a little to quickly, but it was a real pleasure reading about them. Unfortunately, Hugo is not who Edith that he was in the beginning. I was just hoping for the two of them to get back together again, because they’re really made for each other. He’s such a romantic and it turns out that Edith might have overreacted a little bit.

Edith also discovers a real mystery and actually shocking story about the owner and the bakery is in danger as well.
I was really curious at one point, just because I wanted to know what was going to happen with the bakery and also with Hugo and Edith.
The mystery brought another spark into this lovely story.

A heart-warming, engaging and wonderful story about love, friendship and the liberty to find the right thing in live – Adorable and sweet!

Rating: 3.5
Edith Lane has had it with her life in England and decides to take a leap into the unknown by moving to France. Even though this means leaving her father behind, Edith knows she needs a new challenge, one she might be able to find in the vintage French bakery she managed to get a job at. Yet, when Edith arrives at the small bakery on Rue De Paris in the antique town of Compiègne, she isn’t exactly welcomed with open arms by the owner. But Edith is determined to give it her best shot and before she knows it, she is learning all about the mysterious ins and outs of the bakery while trying to figure out her own life and wishes at the same time.

I loved the basic storyline of ‘The Mysterious Bakery on Rue De Paris’; Edith is unhappy with her life and decides to take on a job at a bakery in a small French village. I straight away admired Edith for her bravery, and I loved the sound of the small vintage bakery with its amazing smells and the setting of the pretty French village. Edith is a great heroine, and I really enjoyed joining her on her journey to building up a new life for herself in a strange place, which also includes a collection of lovely secondary characters (I particularly warmed to Madame Moreau, Edith’s boss at the bakery, and Nicole, the woman she meets at the local bar).

I don’t want to give too much of the story away, but there’s a reason why the bakery is named ‘mysterious’ in the title of the book. I totally did not see this aspect of the story coming and I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of it and how Evie Gaughan managed to use this element to really turn her story into something special. Next to that, her writing style is warm, well-paced and just really comfortable to read. I really enjoyed this book, and I look forward to picking up Evie Gaughan’s other book, ‘The Cross of Santiago.’ ‘The Mysterious Bakery on Rue De Paris’ is an engaging, warm-hearted and thoroughly enjoyable novel which I can definitely recommend to readers who are looking for chick lit with a twist; you’ll adore this!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2015
I finished this in two sittings. I enjoyed it, it is a nice gentle read but without the typical romance of many of the genre. I totally got that she wasn't sure where she was going when she arrived in France- maybe that says something about my own map reading. It reminded me of Chocolat, just as charming. I found the good 'English' spoken by some of the French characters a bit unbelievable but enjoyed. I did have a yummy pastry with my tea while reading it. Get in the pastries and enjoy!
I like the cover too.
on 25 June 2014
I chose this rating because this is a great book. Interesting, entertaining, engaging with a little bit of romance and magic thrown in and all from a very fine writer. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a light summer read, anyone interested in mystery, history, actually this book has a touch of the Joanne Harris's about it so fans of hers would enjoy it also,
on 24 July 2015
A wonderful novel about the books heroine Edith and her life changing adventure set in magical Compiègne . The story whisks you away and brings to life France, Jazz, the world of the characters and mysterious bakery in an enthralling way that captures the reader from the start. As good as a holiday and thoroughly recommended!