on 23 December 2006
Like the other reviewers, we bought this on DVD to replace our worn out VHS version. We were gobsmacked and upset to the point that we couldnt watch it as the scene where Scrooge is seen to melt and become the man he was to be in the future, is cut, and the song removed, that he joins in at the end, with an Oscar winning (or should be) performance from Michael Caine. Its a disgrace that it was cut, and I wouldnt buy this DVD if you want the full and unabridged version that makes more sense. Otherwise why is Rizzo crying? BOO to the film editor. Stick with the VHS until they release a full version.
99 comments|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2012
Don't know why they would bother releasing a version missing a key song! Sort it out. This film is a Christmas tradition in my house and everybody noticed it was missing this scene.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Muppet Christmas Carol may well be the greatest film ever made. It's certainly far and away the best screen adaptation of Dickens perennial even if Michael Caine's Scrooge is more game than great (George C. Scott is probably the definitive personification of Dickens' Scrooge while Alastair Sim is the most beloved, but that's another story in a much lesser movie). Aside from the real visual imagination on display (almost every scene is filled with great throwaway details you may not spot until a second, third or fourth viewing), from the wonderfully stylised production design and warm photography to Jerry Juhl's genuinely witty script, it's also the only version I've seen that passes the Tiny Tim test: usually the part is played by such obnoxiously saccharine little tykes that you can't wait for that empty place by the fireside, but in this case you really do care for once. Pure greatness in every frame.

Unfortunately, the care shown with the feature has not been mirrored with the DVD, which has never had a satisfactory release anywhere to date. The UK PAL editions are missing a key musical number, 'When Love is Gone' (which features on the NTSC disc, but only on the fullframe version), which is particularly unfortunate since its absence leaves a gaping hole in the Christmas Past section of the movie. And it's still missing on Disney's impending US Blu-ray release on the grounds that it was cut from the US theatrical version, and it's that shorter cut they're sticking with. But the Blu-ray does have one of the most enjoyable extras I've ever seen hidden away in the Disney intermission feature, where a group of wonderfully choreographed chickens sing Joy to the World.
66 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2004
I originally bought The Muppet Christmas Carol years ago when it came out on video. I thought it was wonderful, great fun and, even with the Muppets playing many key roles, it was extremely true to the book. My favourite part was where a young Scrooge tells his Belle, his fiancée, that they're going to have to postpone their wedding because he doesn't have enough money. Belle then says that he doesn't love her and sings a beautiful song called 'When Love is Gone'.
I bought a DVD player just before Christmas and since my MCC video was well watched and worn, I decided to buy the DVD version. What a disappointment. This beautiful song was cut out, which I think is wrong as it is pivotal to the story. Disney haven't given a reason for it and it wasn't mentioned during the Audio Commentary of the film. The extras on the DVD are ok, but overall this is way below the standard I'd expect of a Disney DVD, particularly for the price. This is more worthy of being in the 'bargain bin' rather than full price.
If you've got the video and are thinking of buying the DVD, don't bother - you're better off sticking with the video, and if you haven't got either, just get the video.
If I was rating the video version I'd give it 5 stars but am giving the DVD version three stars, because of the cut scene and the general poor value for money.
1515 comments|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2013
I can honestly say i'm truly gutted that they finally released this fantastic film on blu-ray but cut the only real emotion in the film! They say its because people didn't like it, well we all have a fast forward button but at least give us the choice as personally I thought it was a relevant scene and actually liked it. So very sad indeed, wish i knew how to beg Disney to re-release, any ideas welcomed.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2005
The Muppets Christmas Carol is perhaps the best of the Muppets movies, with Gonzo doing a fantastic job as Mr Dickens, and Michael Caine doing a decent job as grumpy old Scrooge.
This is the second version of The Muppets Christmas Carol released on DVD. Unlike the first release, this one's in widescreen (yay!). However, the song 'When Love Has Gone' still does not make an appearance - and we lose a big bleeding chunk of the film's heart as a result.
Disney could also have taken the opportunity to include the deleted song 'Room in Your Heart' (sung by Honeydew and Beaker), but we just get the same extras as last time.
So - a five star film is only a four star DVD. If we wait another couple of years maybe we'll be able to have the chance to give Disney more money so that we can finally see the entire film as it was meant to be...
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2007
This has become a classic christmas film for old and young alike. However a major problem as all the other reviews say the song "When Love Is Gone" has unfortunatly been cut. Proabably because the film is aimed at a younger audience and when I was alot younger I would actually skip through the song with it being, not one of my favourite bits, but now it is one of the best parts of the movie. However what some people forget that the song was actually cut from the cinema release, and only added when it came out on VHS, but removed now again for DVD (silly disney company). But still an excellent film nonetheless.
on 30 November 2005
I love this film, it's one of my favourites adn we watch it every year. I even have the original video from when I was 9.It started to wear out so I brought the 1st released DVD of this, but it didn't have Belle's song in it and I (and my friends) were dissapointed. With this new release saying it was fully restored we thought it would be put back in it, and maybe the other 2 scenes that had been cut since I saw it at the pictures (the songs are still on the CD) but they haven't which is quite dissapointing. It's been remastered well, the colours are stronger and having it in widescreen seems a little less cramped, but they are the only differences with this release.
on 5 December 2007
I bought this on DVD as I hadn't seen the film in years but when I sat down to watch it was gutted when the key scene with Belle's song was cut! The story now makes no sense! Scrooge goes from being a hardened miser to a blubbering fool with no emotional impetus! Now off to search for the VHS version which apparently has the song included!
on 22 October 2008
I always remember watching this every year as a kid- we taped it off tv three times and every copy get worn out! When i saw it as a BOGOF, i jumped at the chance and got it. I love all the characters and it gives this story a fresh feel. I loved how the muppets played each of the characters, and love Michael Caine as Scrooge, in my opinion, a fantastic choice. I also loced the extras which include a look at christmas around the world, which proved to be educational to an adult like me, and a making of, which i found enjoyable. The reason it has got four stars is because of the missing song. Because we taped it off tv, the song was never included, so i thought gonzo was crying because of the break up, now i know dfferent. Surely they could have added this song for the benifit of those who have never seen it? I don't understand why they cut it because it would have been good to see. Let's hope in the next re-release they add this song and tame my curiousity!