Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2013
Haken's previous two albums have caused quite a stir but in a fairly small pond. Maybe now that they're in the Inside Out stable things will begin to take off in the way the band deserves.

The Mountain is just over an hour of absolute musical brilliance. There's a mix of quiet and loud, long and short, sometimes with a touch of humour, all delivered by an immensely capable band.

We start off with a hymn before exploding into action. That action takes us through jazz, metal, pop, ballad with varying vocal delivery techniques and an array of instruments. There are numerous references to early prog., but more than anything there is a clear statement of where a band as talented as Haken can take modern prog.

I think this album will continue to get better with repeated listenings. There's so much detail in the content that it's going to take multiple listens to get everything that's in there.
on 9 December 2013
I'm probably one of the few people my age who know about this band. My kids turned me on to them and they stand toe to toe with my great heroes, Yes Genesis, King Crimson etc. This band and this album are fantastic. I love both the melodies and the execution of those melodies with their musical talent. I love how they can be so melodic and so insane in a good way with the time signatures. For me it's a throw back to the 70's prog rock music which I think is a good thing. Anyway I'm glad I own it.
on 7 December 2013
This album brings the best of all kinds of prog. All major influences are here such as Queen, Radiohead, Yes, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater and others. But the band genuinely creates and doesn't copy. Strongly recomended.
on 30 November 2013
The best yet from Haken.
There's beauty, complexity, subtlety and power aplenty here.
Standout tracks:
Atlas Stone, Cockroach King & Paredolia
Also rans:
None, they're all good!

Some people might call Haken 'the British Dream Theater'; but they're better than that.
on 13 November 2013
This is the best album I have heard in a long time. The music has a beauty and depth that is very rare. It is also quite original; there are a wide range of influences, but all woven togher into an expressive whole. Magical!!!
on 5 September 2013
Making each new album different from previous but as good is not an easy task especially if these previous releases are of stellar quality. Good news - Haken did it again! Personally I found "The Mountain" less "metallic" than previous two issues - more into old school prog of 70-ties. This is what in my opinion makes it different from "Aquarius" and "Visions" but just as enjoyable.
on 12 October 2013
I bought "Visions" first, then "Aquarius" after I had been completely blown away by "Visions". I was also really pleased that a really good, original, British prog band had made the grade, albeit only recognised by too few people.

So I was waiting to see if they would bring out a third album, and if they did would it live up to the high bar set by "Visions".

Along came "The Mountain" and Haken had answered me with a very loud "OH YES!". From the first track to the last I was impressed. The favourites for me are "Cockroach King", "Atlas Stone" and "Falling Back to Earth". I haven't stopped listening to this superb album.

With this CD, Haken have secured their rightful place in Prog Royalty. They have even been given a good few pages in this months Prog Rock mag.

One last thing...BUY THIS ALBUM!
on 1 December 2013
Haken has an amazing return with this album, It's a luxury to my ears how they changed their style but keeping the distintive elements from the past two records, and many influences from de 70's like Gentle Giant or King Crimson. I don't have so much to say, only that if you are a Prog listener you have to listen this beautiful piece of art.

The delivery period and the quality of the order is so good, Im very satisfied, only 15 days passed to have the album in my hands, from the UK to Mexico that's a really short time, I'm amazed.
on 25 February 2014
The Mountain is a brilliant album of mixtures of fantastic ideas and refreshing a genre that was beginning to get a bit stale, The band have thrown themselves in to this project with Lavish arrangements and Everything from Metally guitar to Barber Shop Quartet. Jazz Moog solos and Brilliantly tasty bass guitar lines all the way through on the six string bass wonder The drums are energetic and fun to listen to as well and the vocals are performed with Vigor and delicacy when required, The band is a very dynamic and eclectic band with some really magnificent performances on this album it really does require a listening to. It is something special not only is all the above in the album but the album is also catchy and memerable All in all a future classic album no doubt get it on vinyl with the cd if you can it even better then
on 22 January 2014
I really love this album having listened to it many times. First two tracks are great and immediately likeable but the other tracks are excellent too after a couple of listenings. These guys are reviving prog rock in a modern way - great musicianship without grandiose pretentiousness.