on 9 August 2009
You do not have to be a Buddhist to benefit from this book. Master Thich Nhat Hanh shows how everyone has the potential to enrich their lives by becoming more aware of themselves, and by doing this how to find an element of happiness. My son gave me this book to help me through a deep depression, because it is now clinically proven that meditation is one of the most effective means of dealing with depression. The simple, straightforward methods detailed are easy to understand and put into practice, and I can promise anyone who wants to learn how to deal with their suffering that this book is a wonderful beginning. Thank you, Master Thich Nhat Hanh!
0Comment79 of 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2008
This is an excellent book if you have either a beginner in meditation or advanced meditator. The author gives your tips on how to practice mindfulness meditation, that is how to incorporate it in your daily life. Being a begginner meditator myself I got caught in the process of sitting down and meditating, only to find out that I was running way from reality. This book teaches you how to meditate while you do your dishes, clean your home, listen to music, talk to friends.... It is s a great book. What this book does not is enter into discussion of the practice of mindfulness itself, therefore is better to have some knowledge of the practice before reading the book.
11 comment124 of 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2013
A beautiful book. Short chapters, very encouraging advice on how to live well and benefit from mindfulness practice. Thich Nhat Hanh always gives easy advice to follow. If you do follow this advice, it improves your life. What more could you want?
on 14 April 2014
A beautiful book from one the world's few great teachers. The gentle approach to meditation that Tich Naht Hahn expounds is based on his long life of experience and compassionate practice. This is the starting point and the ending point for anyone who wishes to learn, practice or master mindfulness and meditation.
on 6 February 2011
What a beautiful, uplifting and above all very sensible little book.

It contains a mix of stories and true experiences, a compassionate and very accurate analysis of human nature, and precious and specific advice on how to achieve peace and mindfulness (e.g., by putting your biggest perceived achievements and failures into perspective, realising how strong the influence of circumstances was, and letting go of feelings of arrogance or dejection as well as freeing yourself from the shadow of these events).

I am by no means an expert but am now starting to try to put some of the advice into practice.
Perhaps I was at a stage in my life where I was ready, but whatever the reason, it makes perfect sense to me.
I hope it will to you too, if you're looking for peace with both yourself and the world around you.
0Comment32 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2015
started off very strong. got me agreeing with the text and nodding my head. but got a bit heavy with the theories behind mindfulness and it's interrelatedness with buddhism views and sayings. would like more practical applications but still enjoying the book which is pushing me to think in different ways and changing my mindset.
Unfortunately, I had to read this book in Danish translation, since the library wouldn't get it for me in English (I can't buy all the books I read). The English version is a translation from the Vietnamese, the author Thich Nhat Hanh being a Buddhist monk who wrote the book in 1974 as a letter to a teacher at a social school in South Vietnam from his exile in France.

The book exhorts the reader to mindfulness, i.e. to live in the "now", as Echart Tolle directs us to do, and explains how to do so. When you do the dishes, you don't do so to get them clean, but just for the sake of doing them. You do them with mindfulness and love for the process.

The author's words (even in translation) are imbued with peace and calm, and I found myself reading the book more slowly than I otherwise might have done.

Thich Nhat Hanh's text is inspiring and useful. Its essence is his advocacy of the importance of breathing exercises in order to obtain mindfulness, and innumerable of these are found in a subsequent section on mindfulness exercises as a whole.

A chapter enlightens us about the author Nhat Hanh who at the time of writing what turned into the book was committed to explaining to the Americans the necessity of stopping the bombings and killings in his country. He is a poet and Zen Master.

The final sections of the book are devoted to a selection of buddhist Sutras, which I couldn't really make head or tail of.

But all in all, an admirable book - a good introduction to mindfulness meditation.

I will now be trying to obtain other works of this author, preferably some that have not been translated into Danish, so I have a better chance of getting hold of them in English, for instance, "The long road turns to joy".
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2012
Honestly this book will change your life. It might sound incredibly simple but Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh explained how living completely in the present moment will change everything. Not easy, as it means not worrying about the future or having regrets about the past. Even simple acts like washing up and having a cup of tea can become acts of meditation when done in complete awareness of the present. Thich Nhat Hanh also discusses the fundamentals of Buddhism and and meditation. "If you cannot find joy and peace in these very moments of sitting, then the future itself will only flow by as a river flows by, you will not be able to hold it back, you will be incapable of living in the future when it becomes the present. Joy and peace are the joy and peace possible in this very hour of sitting. If you cannot find it here, you won't find it anywhere. Don't run after your thoughts. Find joy and peace in this very moment"
0Comment27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2010
Its a small book, and the quality of the paper and printing is not high compared to the cover. But that isn't the point of this book.

It comes from a time and a place where life was hard and dangerous compared to the pampered life we mostly live in UK/USA. Secondly we tend to live our lives in a frantic superficial rush surrounded by complexity, and again the context of the book is to remind us that life is in fact very simple.

This book can show you that your life isn't so bad - and hopefully will allow you to escape the western froth for a few minutes. Or it might change your life.
on 9 November 2015
this is - as the sub text says - a classic guide. I found the book easy to read and benefited from the simple breathing and basic mindfulness exercises. I recommend this book as a refresher to seasoned practitioners of now consciousness (if they haven't already read it) to beginners. Well worth the read. I love the line..." the real miracle is not to walk on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth" Chapter 2