on 12 March 2006
This was an unputdownable book. I enjoyed the whole journey that Mr Sullivan took, sometimes joyfully and sometimes in dispair, he was never anything other than honest about his feelings.
Some of the people he met along the way were inspirational and others more stubborn than a pack of mules.
This book was both thought provoking and humourous, it has touched me on a spiritual level and for that I am profoundly grateful. Please read it, its a great read, whether you believe or not.
on 17 July 2015
The book's title is misleading, as "detective" suggests a forensic approach that the writer does not take. His investigation could not be regarded as providing any meaningful evidence, as he tends to simply state anecdotal evidence, frequently without giving any authority or source, and with no attempt to critically analyse it.

The book is more concerned with his personal expectations and experiences, which while they might be interesting in their own way, do not amount to detective work. He seems critical of anyone who does not share his credulity, without making it clear why. Ironically, he also criticises other books for showing bias, which I would say is equally applicable to his own. He seems to think that not being a practising Catholic is enough to absolve him of bias, although he clearly has some kind of mystical quest.

Altogether it was quite readable, but for those who want to evaluate the evidence for/against Marian apparitions, this is not the book to read.

I would recommend instead Encountering Mary by Zimdars-Swartz which is by a professor in religious studies, and authoritative, but also readable.
on 17 February 2012
This book started off well and had some very interesting and inspiring accounts of various miracles. However I did think, although necessary to the background, the political aspects were sometimes a little tedious. It picked up again during the second half.
on 28 August 2006
You should approach this book with an open mind. I did, and found it a fascinating read. The author gives a deep and personal insight into his own journey in the faith while investigating the book. This one will definitely make you want to read more on topics such as Medjugorje, and especially when written by such an author. Give this book to someone who has no faith or beliefs and watch the interest it will bring in them. The book is very powerful and moving at times but I have to say, ended rather open for me. Enjoy..........I did !!
on 13 February 2006
I had hoped to find a little bit more detective work in this book but found little to none. Written very much in favour of Medjugorje with no critique whatsoever with regards to this place. I am sorry to say that only a minor part of this book held any interest for me and that was the interviews with Frs Pavich and Groeschel. The author is quite scathing in his dismissal of Michael E Jones book on the subject of Medjugorje, a far more worthy detective narrative in my opinion. The Miracle Detective will thrill Medjugorje devotees but for those of us who have some knowledge on this subject it is just another large chunk of bias in favour of a dubious set of apparitions!