VINE VOICEon 10 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is such an important book for our current stressful lifestyles. Having had bouts of depression and frequently suffering from stress, I had bought Thich Nhat Hanh's original book on Mindfulness some time ago. It's incredibly rewarding practice and now this book truly comes as a manifesto for introducing Mindfulness to our daily lives. There is a great mixture of practice, case studies and personal recommendations throughout the book. Everyone should read this! I'm so pleased that the book is already having an effect and the accompanying website. Well done!
on 5 October 2012
There are many books on mindfulness. Most tend to fall into one of two camps. There are the Buddhist ones, and there are the scientific or clinical ones. There are few which are truly secular and focussed on helping ordinary people in there everyday lives. That's one the reasons I like this book so much.

Another is that it is British. Cultural context influences us as writers, and as readers. Mindfulness in its modern form emerged from medical studies in the USA as a result of interest in Buddhism in that country. Thus most of the modern classics on mindfulness hail from across the Atlantic. But American culture and paradigms are somewhat different from a British or European perspective. The Mindfulness Manifesto resonates with a British cultural background and understanding of our social lifestyles, our inner tensions and what we consider to be our potential than a book on the same theme written from an American viewpoint.

The final aspect of the book I'd like to pinpoint is the honesty and openness of the two authors. They play down suggestions that they are experts even though they demonstrably are. In doing so they create affinity with the reader that many authors on this subject don't quite attain.

Over and above these three points this is simply a crystal clear, enjoyable, immensely practical guide to one of the most important practices humans have devised for the betterment of our species. We are indebted to the authors for their diligence in producing this new edition.
on 8 September 2010
This is an excellent book for everyone. Having read lots of other great books on mindfulness, I wondered what new insights this one would have to offer. Plenty. It truly is a mindful manifesto. It skilfully weaves together the everyday benefits of mindfulness and how to practice, with beautifully crafted snippets on the Buddhist origins and latest scientific thinking. The authors give candid, inspiring and good humoured accounts of their own mindfulness experience. There's also a great chapter at the end on further reading and resources. It is highly readable and informative, whether you are new to mindfulness or an seasoned practitioner. It's honest, uplifting and engaging with no hint of fluffiness and I heartily recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a bit doubtful that this book would help me,but I decided to give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised.I have great difficulty in letting go of my past bad experiences,but these simple mental exercises,like taking notice of your breathing for 10 minutes,have really stopped me from dwelling on things and have brought me back to the present.
The book is based on Buddha's Four Foundations of Mindfulness,but it is not about Buddhism or religion,it's just about tried and tested ways of coping in this busy world,with notes by the authors about ways it's been useful to them.
I think it is a good starting off point,with easy quick ideas you can use every day,and I have felt much better since I started to try them.I would definitely recommend it; I have been telling my daughter about it and she can't wait to try it too,so I will pass the book onto her and see how she gets on!
on 6 August 2012
"Mindfulness is simple to learn, and yet it can help with so many different problems".
This guide explains the practices, theory and research evidence supporting the benefits of being mindful as a tool we can all use to improve the quality of our lives, relationships and even our work. The style is clear, warm and peppered with honest and very human case examples as well as the two authors' personal experiences. A great manifesto (without the hectoring tone of many manifestos) for both those new to meditation and those well versed in mindfulness. I particularly liked the descriptions of the practices, which felt completely doable, coupled with the reminders that, while mindfulness is simple, that doesn't mean it is an easy fix. The benefits are much more complex and profound.
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have recently become interested in mindfulness, and have found this book is THE ONE I would recommend to anyone looking for a handy book which is easy to read and refer to. My husband attended a course through his work recently on mindfulness and the trainers recommended this book, as they believed it hits the mark on a few levels, from those with an interest to folks who have been practising mindfulness for a while.
worth every penny!
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great book to get you on your way into the meditative world of mindfulness. It is written by two authors: Dr Jonty Heaversage (a GP and TV doctor) and Ed Helliwell (a writer and journalist). Both are practitioners of all things mindful.

This easy to read book is full of a mixture of facts and statistics as well as ways to practise mindful meditation. However, as both authors state, this book is just written as a taster and you really need to get your hands on a CD or better still, practise this with a qualified practitioner. It isn't the sort of activity you are able to engage in just by reading this book.

I found this a useful book. It is fairly quick to read and has easy to follow instructions.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having previously bought a guide to meditation written by a Buddhist Lama, I found this guide to 'mindfulness' far more accessible and easy to understand. It is a good basic introduction to meditationary practices, steering clear of the complexity of ritual that makes reading standard established texts so difficult.
Experienced meditationary practitioners will not find this to be of benefit - this really is a complete beginner's guide, written from a secular viewpoint rather than a religious one.
This freedom of expression does have its benefits - with no doctrine to support other than the simple benefits to mind and body, the points made are very believable. Jonty himself readily admits to being no expert, but to simply be someone who has used the methods described in the book and found them to be beneficial.
With solid medical backing throughout, this is a book to be reassured by. It is refreshingly free of mumbo jumbo, rooting itself in the simple belief that these are practices that work.
Not a book for someone who has meditated previously and is aware of the benefits, unless they wish to use it to help to convert sceptical friends and family. For that, 10/10.
on 8 August 2012
I discovered this book around eighteen months ago. At the time, I was struggling with anxiety on a daily basis. From the moment I read the introduction, the first edition of The Mindful Manifesto felt like a lifeline. I finished the book over the course of a weekend. (Not a particularly mindful approach, I accept!) It suggested a range of simple techniques that were easy to integrate into everyday life. As the weeks went by, my anxiety decreased and life began to feel easier.

Since that time, my interest in mindfulness has increased and my understanding of the approach developed. I've completed an eight-week course, of the type mentioned in the book, and I've written academically about the effectiveness of mindfulness versus other therapies, such as CBT, for some mental health conditions. As shown in this edition, scientific research continues to demonstrate that mindfulness can be a powerful antidote to some forms of depression and anxiety.

This is an excellent book both for anyone curious about mindfulness, as well as for those who already know something about the approach and now want to take their practice further. A particular strength of this edition, I feel, is in bringing mindfulness into the mainstream and helping to remove any 'new age' connotations that some may have previously associated with the approach. Equally, if you are interested in how mindfulness developed over the centuries from the Buddhist tradition, this is covered in good detail here.

I can only speak from my own experience but, suffice to say, I now truly feel that I am 'thriving in a stressed-out world' and credit this book to introducing me to - and educating me about - mindfulness. There is everything to gain from reading this book if the title or topic resonates with you at all.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I received this book, I had already been trying to bring mindfulness into my life as much as possible. I didn't expect to get a great deal from this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised, particularly by how much the book relates mindfulness back to everyday life in the modern world, and how mindfulness can help us to combat stress, and to relax and enjoy the slower things in life.