on 25 November 2009
I disagree with the previous reviewer. I found this kit great. I've worked with SharePoint for a while now, but still learnt a great deal from these two book that form this kit, and they are not just copies of the help. For example - no where in help or on the internet have I seen the table of permissions as appears in the book or on how to incorporate ASP.Net controls on you page. Admittably I learnt more from the SharePont Designer step by step book, but that's because of my previous experience with the product, and you need experience of SharePoint before you use the second book, hence why it works so well teamed up with WSS Step by Step. So that's the order you should read them if you have no previous knowledge - 'WSS Step by Step', then the SPD book. Even if you only what the second book, it's cheaper to buy the kit than the individual books anyway.

Just one word of warning, aabout using the 'SPD Step by Step' book, although the product SharePoint Designer is free, you do need access to your own SharePoint site to complete the exercises, and as most ISPs don't host SharePoint sites, you either have to rely on access to a SharePoint site at work or like me use one of Microsoft virtual machines built using evaluation software from their download site. Do not expect to use SharePoint Designer with non-SharePoint sites. If you want to modify non-SharePoint site, and you are coming from a FrontPage back ground - use Expression Web, not SharePoint Designer.

So in summary, the books are excellent, have great little scenarios, plus the CD contains the two books in ebook format - so that's what I carry around for reference, great for searching. Well done to the authors.
on 7 September 2009
As with all of this type of manual, it regurgitates the help screens in an expanded and readable format. It doesn't help you at all when you have a practical problem. Useful, but not great.