on 25 March 2013
This isn't a groundbreaking new discovery - in fact this memory system has been around for centuries - but it packages the idea well and yes, I can now recite the plays of Shakespeare and the complete novels of Dickens in order. However as somebody who doesn't produce the most vivid visualisations, I can't say how long this knowledge will hold. If I practised daily of course it would definitely hold, so a 5* review from me. Quite a funny book too. But it is short, thus the cheap price.
on 8 September 2013
I love this book. After reading 'Moonwalking with Einstein' I decided to venture forth into the realms of remembering.

I found this book by checking out the related section of the Kindle app, it suggested this, so I downloaded a sample.
After reading all that I could, I immediately purchased it.

The book teaches you simply how to remember the works of Shakespeare and Charles Dickens' book names. In order, forwards and backwards. It does this step by step, and is very easy to understand.

If you are interested in the workings of memory palaces, or just how to generally improve your memory - this book is for you.

Memory palaces are an amazing method of remembering almost anything. It works extremely well with lists especially as they can be memorised in order. I myself have used this and other books in order to memorise the digits of pi (to about 40 digits), and the periodic table by atomic number up to around 70. It is truly magnificent.

Moonwalking with Einstein can be found here: Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
on 27 December 2012
Surprisingly brilliant!! As I was reading through the story thinking I will never remember all 37 plays I was shocked to realise that when I went back through the story in my head the images that I created help me remember the plays all 37, and now I have the technique to learn and remember what I want
on 2 January 2013
Shakespeare's plays have now been learnt. Dickens novels now memorised. Just wish I could remember where I left my keys.
on 10 December 2012
I got into Memory Palaces after reading Derren Brown's 'Tricks of the Mind', which is excellent and I recommend highly. This was fairly workmanlike, but, for the price, was a decent introduction into the memory palace technique. It works. Plain & simple
on 9 June 2012
This is a great introduction to the "Journey" memory method. Within 30 minutes I'd learnt the 37 plays of Shakespeare. The next day I spent another 30 minutes learning the 20 novels of Charles Dickens. I can now recite these in order. The book is short, and doesn't explain the process. However, it gave me the confidence to research the subject further. If you like this then definitely buy Ed Cooke's "Remember, Remember: Learn the Stuff You Thought You Never Could".
on 26 July 2014
Not for improving memory or learning things in general, nothing new.

I wouldn't waste your time or money on this book.
on 26 February 2013
I have seen this technique before, so nothing new, but the example presented is quite good and it works! I only read this once a few weeks ago and I can still remember Shakespeare's plays!
on 11 November 2013
Other books on this subject tend to give outlines of how to remember; but The Memory Palace actually gives a specific example of how to do it . It shows, stage by stage, how to remember the chronological order of the Works of Shakespeare (which is remarkably easy), thereby showing you what can be achieved in such a short space of time. I followed it up with the Works of Dickens, all the American Presidents and all the U.S. States, all in one evening! And I can still remember them on the following day! Other books also tend to concentrate on remembering numbers and playing cards etc, whereas The Memory palace keeps it simple and concentrates on the job in hand! Well worth the small price!
on 18 July 2012
Having never been overly concerned with memory improvement I recently found a job for which I have to remember hundreds of names, a hugely daunting prospect.

As part of my training all employees attended a memory improvement seminar, one of the techniques outlined in this book. The lecture was incredibly boring, but despite 'switching off' for a good portion I was surprised with how much I was able to remember. After a good deal of research I was directed to this book and I couldn't be happier. The Memory Palace is thorough, succinct and digestible, it works both as a 'cover-to-cover' read and a book to 'dip' into. Smile's writing style is entertaining and engaging, he illuminates a dry subject to produce an entertaining and captivating read.

Highly recommended for those interested in memory improvement techniques.