on 16 October 2009
If you like to eat well and like to stay lean and healthy, you probably struggle to find new and interesting recipes. I've worn out my copy of Guerard's "Cuisine Minceur", which has been my bible and inspiration for years. Mr Roux's book is a fine addition to that honourable, but sadly narrow line of culinary thinking and practice that insists that you can dine to the highest standards while protecting, even improving your health, rather than damaging it.

The recipes are relatively simple to execute, depending for their quality on good ingredients and a deft touch, rather than on long-winded and complex procedures. The ingredients should be readily available in most parts of Britain, at worst, from the major supermarkets (let's face it, we don't all have easy access to the high-quality greengrocers, fishmongers, butchers, etc that Mr Roux deals with). This has the double benefit of making the recipes accessible for everyday use, while leaving maximum time for running or whatever form of exercise takes your fancy. In an age where every new day seems to bring contradictory evidence about the effect on health of various foods (today's superfood turns out to be tomorrow's carcinogen, and vice versa), Mr Roux's approach is, to my mind, eminently sensible: eat pretty much all of the finest ingredients, but eat in moderation. The recipes reflect that philosophy, delivered in delicious, healthy, right-sized portions.

I believe the parts of the book that focus on running would be neither particularly intrusive nor off-putting for a non-runner. If, like me, you are a runner, I think you'll find they reflect the mainstream of current thinking about distance running, offering sensible, practical advice, but without the level of detail that you would find in a serious running guide.

This is a fine addition to any cookery bookshelf, very intelligently designed to be full of practical, sensible, and highly usable recipes and advice from a chef who is one of Europe's masters. I recommend it.
on 27 September 2010
Really good book - I'm dairy free and there are loads of recipes here which I can use. All very easy to make, sometimes a bit fiddly but they all work well and taste delicious.
on 4 January 2016
It was very nice to get a copy of this for my son who was very pleased with the gift.
on 9 June 2013
I am very happy with this purchase. This a great book, well written and some great food. My only comment here would be that it is quite involved. most of his recipes take quite a lot of time to cook, so i have been using it for more formal dinner parties as opposed to family suppers.
on 11 January 2012
Another well written cookbook from Michel Roux Jr. Includes useful background information to eating and fitness. Gives a weekly menu schedule, with all meal recipes clearly detailed.
on 23 March 2011
Ordered a used copy from amazon.co.uk for about 30GBP to be delivered to a UK address. But, book that was delivered had a sticker stating that it was not to be sold in UK for more than 20GBP!
on 7 December 2009
I loved Michel Roux Jnr on Masterchef and because I am a keen runner and cook, thought this book would be perfect for me. Having tried 5 or 6 recipes, I am just a little disappointed with the outcome. I am not a bad cook, although I do go wrong sometimes but all 5 recipes tried were disappointing
on 2 January 2010
all i really want is honest basic runing food, this isn't that but it is nice