"Is to be welcomed. This is a textbook of a superior sort as Pugh disavows the attempt to be a neutral assessor of the work of others and imposes his own interpretation upon the period. This leads to a clearer understanding of events." History Today – of the previous edition <!––end––> "A commanding synthesis ... succeeds brilliantly in finding the right voice to explain what matters now." London Review of Books – of the previous edition "Excellent book, by far the best of its kind on this period ... impressively lucid and consistent ... a remarkable book which will stimulate teachers as well as students for years to come." Society for the Study of Labour History Bulletin – of the previous edition
The third edition of this successful text has been revised to include a new chapter on the politics of the Second World War, and to reflect recent developments in research into the period.
- Third edition of this insightful survey of changes in British politics
- Now extended to cover the politics of the Second World War and the election of 1945
- Extensively revised in the light of recent research
- Looks at the Labour Party's evolution into a national rather than sectional party
- Includes updated suggestions for further reading