on 3 March 2004
I purchased this book after seeing Caroline being interviewed on the "This Morning" programme with Fern and Philip. The book starts with introduction to her childhood and the suffering she endured when her parents spilt up, her father rejected her, her stepfather rejected her as well as her stepbrothers who constantly bullied and verbally abused her. During her childhood she was sexually abused twice (by strangers) and by the time she was a teenager she sent herself on a destructive path; sleeping around and taking drugs. The book then goes on to describe the events leading up to the terrible night she first laid eyes on Fred and Rose West, how they abducted, tortured and both abused her in very strong sordid details which really shocked the hell out of me!! She is the one who got away and lived to tell the tale. A true story of extreme courage, bravery and survival. Caroline is an inspiration to us all! I read her book within two days as you just can't put it down and i recommend it to anyone looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. Be warned that the content is very graphic and may shock and upset.
on 10 May 2004
All I can say is that this story is so traumatic and disgusting that i was unable to put it down. The pictures inside of Fred and Rose West turned my stomache after i had read the horrific ordeal they put these girls and children through.
A gripping read that I would recommend to anyone as a story and also an eyeopener to the world that is really out there.
on 19 May 2005
I read this in two evenings. A truly inspiring story of someone who seems to have had just about every tragedy there is thrown at her during her life. For someone who has been through so much heartbreak in such a relatively short space of time and come through the other side as a stronger person is amazing. I would highly recommend this book. A real inspiration.
on 3 September 2005
After reading The Lost Girl, i found this book very hard to put down. It is an amazing story about a young lady who was a victim of Fred and Rose West, after having many relationships with different men she tries to find the love and attention that was so harshly grasped from her. After a life of failed relationships and many tears Caroline is now settled and i would like to think is now happy and enjoying life.
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2004
I hesitated about buying this book for ages, if you are doing the same, then dont!
This book was brilliant and was a very personal and moving account of not only this woman's harrowing experiences of life with Fred and Rose West but also her life in general.

This book is very well written and held my interest to the point that i stayed up until 5am to finish reading it! When Caroline described what it was like giving evidence in court during the trial of 'The Wests', i was moved to tears by her personal account of events and the guilt that she felt when she discovered that Fred and Rose West had killed their own child, to whom Caroline had looked after and helped care for!
It was one of those books that made me go back downstairs and double check i had locked the front door!!
Emotional, quite scary and totally gripping!
on 14 June 2004
Absoulutely fabulous reading, horrific childhood, such strength of character to survive and live to tell her tale, i found the last two chapters more tear jerking than her childhood memories, as her words are so poignant. Must be read!!!!
on 8 September 2005
I have just finished reading this book and I couldnt put it down..this is a story of how she over came all of her past betrayals from numerous people and came out of the other end a stronger person for it all. I would definitly recommend this book to anyone who is considering buying it.
on 26 November 2012
I usually love True Crime books but I'm afraid this one wasn't for me. Caroline talks more about her own life and doesn't say much about the time she spent with Fred and Rosemary West. You only get one chapter about her working as a nanny, one chapter about the abuse and a few chapters about the media and the trial. The rest is about her lifestyle; boyfriends, drugs and lots of drama and self pity. Don't get me wrong though, I feel deeply sorry for Caroline and I can't believe everything she's been through. It's not only the abuse she got from the Wests but lots of other things too. I just felt that it was a bit too much "me, me, me". Besides, most people will buy this book because they want to know more about the Wests and try to understand them, but it doesn't say much about them at all. I think this is more of a therapy book that Caroline wrote for herself to let all her shame and problems out. I don't mean to offend, I'm just saying what I really thought of the book. I still wish her the best.
on 4 September 2007
This is an excellent book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone, although the chapter detailing the authors ordeal with the Wests does make for harrowing reading and may prove hard for some people to stomach. Caroline Roberts suffered a great deal throughout her life but instead of wasting her life and being bitter about what had happened in her past she sought help, confronted her own flaws and turned her life around. She is an inspiration to us all!
on 29 December 2004
God forbid that anyone should go through this ordeal,but having done so,having the strength to admit your wrongs and fears, is to be commended.I am an avid book reader,and this is one of the best i have read in a long while