on 28 August 2006
I remember seeing this at the cinema all those years ago. I didn`t have a clue what it was about but had been dragged along for a Saturday night out by my mates. I remember asking "So what`s this film about then" "well" came the reply "it`s about Vampires....." Before i could argue the queue had moved forward & i found myself inside the ticket office & on into the cinema....2 hrs later i came out with a big grin on my face & me & my mates rolling round the floor laughing at "The Frog Brothers" & i`ve been a fan ever since. This film is typical of the times it comes from. It`s full of great music espiecially the "Cry Little Sister" theme song, It`s choca Bloc full of stunts & action, It`s got a great sense of style including some great fashions, Alex Winters Jacket looks so cool it`s unbelievable even today. The acting is 1st class, & there`s a great sense of humour running through it. It has that "Positive" 80`s vibe running through it were we all believed anything was possible & the good guys always won. It`s a great film & well worth the purchase price just for the film alone but this is a special 2 disc set which makes it doubly worth getting. There is a selection of short`sh documentaries on disc 2 containing interviews with many of the cast including Kiefer Sutherland on the set of 24. I`d have prefered the documentaries to have been longer but hey there good so at least it`s interesting. If your a fan or you`ve heard lots about this film then this is highly recommended.
on 15 April 2007
There seems to be two camps on this. One for 'Near Dark' another 80's Vamp flick and one for the supposed more Hollywood version that is 'The Lost Boys'. Well I've seen both and I'm gonna have to side with the Lost Boys. The film takes place in the city of Santa Carla where a newly divorced mother (Dianne Wiest) brings her two sons to stay with her father. Soon the eldest son Micheal (Jason Patric) gets a bit of a thing for gypsy style vampire Star who gets him all vamped up and intiated into bad-ass biker vampire gang. His little brother Sam (Corey Fieldman) now has to help save his brother from the gang with the help of the fantastic Frogg brothers. This really is a fantastic film. After the first five miutes you forget that it is pretty dated now. And only the almighty Kiefer Sutherland could make the 80's that sexy. It's vampire movies at their best and the brilliant monologue between Fieldman and Corey Haim is comedy classic. A perfect all rounder with an shoulder-padded, big haired soudtrack. Excellent!!!
on 19 May 2009
everyone knows how class this film is, but thought would right a quick review on the blu-ray version/quality.

quality of picture, vibrant colours, scenes with light flawless however some of the darker scenes mid way through the film have a very high contrast causing white speckles.

quality of the sound - flawless!! the soundtrack really stands out and some of the background sounds are really clear.

I have this film on all formats - blu ray a must for all fans of this film.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 July 2013
The performances are really strong and fit the bill with Keifer Sutherland being on particular top form. The funny sidekicks are funny, the quirky grandfather quirky, the sexy damsel is damsel-ly. It is a film that works. It riffs on Peter Pan and when they become powerful they don't have adult dreams of world domination they just want to be dicks, annoy people, get some attention. Which is different to most fictional vampires.
The setting is cool and the whole thing is shot really well. True, a lot of the dialogue and some of its delivery fail but for every line that sucks there are two more that are bitingly cool. The first 3/4 of the film have very little blood and leave most to the imagination but for an unexpected twist the ending literally splatters the wall with blood and gore.
The homoeroticism has been commented on before and it is definitely there but it feels deliberate which is why it works and actually strengthens the movie.
It was a cool movie when it came out and although Interview with the Vampire and the Twilight series have come out since then, The Lost Boys is still a cool movie today. Hell, even the title is awesome.
on 31 March 2005
Oh how this fantastic film brings me back to my childhood years. I first watched this film when I was about 13 and I loved it, still do! Now 15 years on and I still find myself singing 'tho' shalt not fall' It is a must for any vampire addict......even though it is a 1987 film, it still has a modern feel. Excellent...Thank you Lost Boys!
on 15 May 2006
The Lost Boys is the story of a mother (played by Dianne Wiest) who relocates to a town called Santa Carla with her two sons (Corey Haim and Jason Patric) after a divorce to live with her father. Little do the family know that Santa Carla is filled with vampires. A gang of teenage vampires led by Kiefer Sutherland manages to make Michael (Jason Patric) into a half-vampire by tricking him into drinking blood. There begins the story of his brother attempting to try and save Michael by killing the head vampire enlisting the assistance of 2 vampire hunters one of which is played by Corey Feldman.

Well, that's the story.....so what about the film? All I can say is this is one of the best 80's films ever made. Despite being nearly 20 years old, it doesn't look dated and can still hold it's own against other modern vampire films in regard to make-up, effects and overall look of the film. The performances from each of the characters is solid and immensely believable which enables you to get dragged into this fantasy world of vampires and actually believe the story. The Lost Boys has one of the best soundtracks of any movie I have ever watched and this only adds to the stylishness of the whole film.

There is a second disc of extras which include some really nice featurettes, some of which show the stars as how they look now and there is also a commentary of the film from Joel Schumacker. The Lost Boys is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. It's fun, exciting and a cult film that will always remind a generation of their childhood. A must have addition to anybodys DVD collection.
on 27 June 2000
I remember being quite young when I first saw this classic movie, then I thought it was the greatest movie ever and even now after quite a few years (and a few very bad vampire movies), I still think it is an absolute classic, the greatest there ever has or ever will be. Maybe now that I'm that little bit older I can also appreciate the soundtrack to this movie, when I was younger it wasn't as significant as the movie itself but if the truth be known, the movie warranted the soundtrack or vice versa? You decide!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Financial troubles force a recent divorcée and her teenage sons Mike and Sam to settle down with her father in the California town of Santa Carla.

At first, Sam laughs off rumours he hears about vampires who inhabit the small town.

But after Mike meets a beautiful girl at the local amusement park, he begins to exhibit the classic signs of vampirism.

Fearing for his own safety, Sam recruits two young vampire hunters to save his brother by finding and destroying the head vampire....

One of the most iconic movies of the eighties, is probably one of the most iconic vampire movies ever made. One thinks without this, there would be no Twilight, but that's my only criticism of the film.

What we have is one of the most fun horror movies ever made, in the same Vein as 'Fright Night' this has young characters in jeopardy, but always with a little pop culture reference at hand.

The main thing that is noticeable in this movie, is the homo-eroticism.

If you read between the line, the film could be about young men coming out of the closet, David only really comes out of his shell when he meets Michael and the rest of the titular characters, but dismisses the rest of the crew.

The wine scene could be classed a a euphemism to another certain bodily fluid, which 'converts Michael, and the longing gazes between him and David are rife throughout.

That aside, it's a great movie, with laughs and scares aplenty, and some of the best effects seen in a movie in 1987.

This is the movie that put Haim, Sutherland and Patric on the map, and they should be eternally grateful.

The recent sequels have not tarnished the film, and that first sequence of Sutherland appearing on the boardwalk, is as iconic 24 (he he) years later as it was back then.

A great vampire movie, and one of the best cult films ever made.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2008
After quite a few disappointing movie rentals, and being none too impressed by the more recent monster/action films to grace our screens, I decided to try out a classic.

My interest was initially perked up by the fact Kiefer Sutherland was in it. Being a bit of a fan, and liking the premise of the film, I decided to buy the double boxset of the film (it works out cheaper - even if the 2nd one is a bit naff in comparison) and I must say it's one of the best films I have seen in ages!

The story goes thus. Michael and Sam move with their mum to Santa Carla, California, after what seems like a slightly messy divorce. They settle in quickly, Sam befriending two (if not slightly odd) comic book store teens, and Michael befriending agang of bikers...or are they?

Pretty soon, Michaels getting up to behaviour that annoys any parent - staying out all night, sleeping all day - while Sam tries to get to the bottom of his brother's wierd behaviour.

I don't want to blow the plot for anyone that hasn't seen it, but it's a fun and wholly entertaining film, with a rousing soundtrack, one or two jump in your seat moment, and for the Kiefer fans out there, yet another role (besides 24) that he seems made for. Keither plays his role with glee and flips between bully, lovable looking rogue and...something a lot less savoury.

Thoroughly entertaining, with some truly comic moments - and not just for the eighties fashions and HUGE hair - but because it doesn't take itself all that seriously - and to be honest is a much better film for it.

So come on - buy today, pop in the DVD player, go back in time to the eighties and enjoy one of those true eighties classics that belongs up there with the likes of Terminator and Robocop!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
From the decade that gave us so many brilliant films (The Breakfast Club, Back To The Future, Short Circuit, ET, and Gremlins, just to name a few) comes 'The Lost Boys', another film that proves why the eighties was the decade for film. After a divorce, a flat-broke mother (Dianne Wiest) moves into her father's home in the town of Santa Carla along with her two sons (Corey Haim and Jason Patric). They soon find out that not only is Santa Carla the murder capitol of the world, but is also filled with vampires. Add Kiefer Sutherland and his gang into the mix along with two vampire hunters, a brilliant soundtrack, some brilliant scenes and you've got the perfect recipe for a classic.

Every now and again when I was a child, my mother would let my sister and I stay up late and watch a horror film that was on TV. On one of those occasions we watched The Lost Boy's and I've absolutely loved it even since. I've heard that many vampire enthusiasts didn't like The Lost Boy's. In a way I can see why, it's not not exactly your standard vampire film, it broke the mould and was brave enough to be different. It's not meant to be taken as seriously as say Dracula, and if you can let a few things pass and appreciate the film for what it is (fun), then it promises to entertain you. The casting is fantastic and was spot on, the characters created in the film are brilliant. There is some good well paced action. I loved the 'vampire-eye' views of the attacks throughout the film. In a way the camera work reminded me of The Evil Dead and it has the same eerie effect. The plot itself and it's development is pretty solid, with a twist or two to keep you involved. Some of the scene's are actually pretty scary and they don't need to relay on gore to deliver. Two that come to mind are when they all 'hang-out' on the train track, and of course when Michael is given some Chinese food. The movie soundtrack really is one of the best I've ever heard and its well suited to The Lost Boys.

There is a newly released sequel, but I'm a bit reluctant to watch it. We seem to be in the age of remakes, and I feel that any sequel to such a classic film would be substandard. The Lost Boys however really is a fantastic film, that can be watched time and time again. If you haven't seen it, see it now as I doubt you'll be disappointed, just make sure you buy the double disk version as the special features are worth the cost alone.