- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: Pen & Sword Books Ltd; illustrated edition edition (7 Mar. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0850527139
- ISBN-13: 978-0850527131
- Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 17.8 x 24.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 327,504 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The London Scottish in the Great War Hardcover – 7 Mar 2000
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
While Mr Lloyd deals faithfully and accurately with the doings of the Regiment he unfortunately fails to capture more of the spirit of the Regiment. This book reads rather like an 'official' history rather than an unofficial one. I had hoped to find greater use of diaries and personal accounts, getting more to the character of the men who formed this Regiment, but sadly these seemed somewhat lacking.
Nonetheless, if your interest is following the progress of the Regiment during the war then I can recommend this book as it carefully traces the Regiments progress both in and out of the line. If you are not an regular to the Great War though you may want to 'flesh' this work out with a few more personal accounts, such as those available in Lyn MacDonald's books.
It would be great to see more about the Cadets and other time periods but alas not to be in this book.
The author uses many soldiers letters and journals writtne during or following the events to convey the achievement of a regiment faced with a superior enemy and with defective weapons held their ground
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918