Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 2 August 2007
I've read some newspaper reviews of this book which suggest it to be sub Mark Haddon. Well it is about a boy with Aspergers solving a crime and does a very convincing job of describing the inner life of such a boy. And it is a life enhancing description of someone overcoming things that limit them in the way that they are living their life. But it would be wrong to describe it as a kind of Mark Haddon lite. It's a very different book in that it is geared to a much younger audience. My boys got a great deal out of this - a perception of difference and how it is not necessarily a bad thing. An insight into other children's experiences of being unhappy and isolated at school. And a sense of the excitement of a real page turner. We started off reading two short chapters each night but quickly got into reading four at night and often four in the morning too (the bliss of the summer holidays). Highly recommended.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2009
I read this book on holiday and it was a really good surprise. I had been given the book some time ago and expected a light, airy book that would help pad out the holiday, but The London Eye Mystery is an addictive, deep-thinking book.
I was completely hooked to the book and was especially interested in how the main character, Ted, thought. It was a real insight. The fast-paced story was compelling and the description of the situation made it seem real. I could really understand the emotions of the characters.
It can appeal to anyone of age 9+ as I thought on the face of it the book was easy to read and easy to understand, but some of the deeper issues are really intriguing. I imagine it can appeal to adults, and as a teenager, I was interested with Ted and how he thought. I was interested to learn about the Coriolis Effect and Einstein's Theory of Relativity which were both squeezed into the book.

Overall, a fantastic read that can appeal to all ages.
on 6 November 2008
What goes up must come down - unless you're Ted Sparks' cousin Salim.

Aunt Gloria and her teenage son Salim are preparing to move from Manchester, England to New York City. Before they leave for the United States, Gloria wants to visit her sister and her family in London. Salim has never been to London so his cousins Ted and Katrina are eager to show him the sights.

They decide to visit one of Ted's favorite places, the London Eye. The London Eye, also called the Millennium Wheel, is the tallest ferris wheel in Europe. When they arrive at the Eye, there's a long line for tickets. After a stranger approaches Ted, Kat and Salim to offer his ticket, the kids decide that Salim should take it and "fly the Eye" on his own. Ted and Kat track Salim's capsule during its half hour ride, but when the capsule comes down and people file out, Salim is nowhere in sight. Was he kidnapped? Did he run away? Did he spontaneously combust (one of Ted's eight theories)?

After their parents contact the police, Ted and Kat decide to launch their investigation into their cousin's disappearance. Ted has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism. Since his brain works on a "different operating system", Kat and Ted think they may have an advantage over the police investigators. Can Ted's unique perspective help them find Salim before it's too late?

I found The London Eye Mystery to be an interesting, fast read. It is not without some flaws, however. Ted and Kat withhold vital evidence from their parents and the police (such as Salim's camera and information about the stranger who gave Salim his ticket). I never get past my disbelief that they would withhold so much evidence when their cousin was in a dangerous situation.

Where The London Eye Mystery really shines, though, is in the character of Ted Sparks. Ted is a fascinating, sympathetic character. His Asperger's Syndrome was well-portrayed and consistent with what I know of Asperger's. Dowd did an effective job of showing how Ted deals with his social challenges. Dowd also showcased the positive aspects of Asperger's Syndrome: Ted is extremely intelligent, honest and free of prejudice. It's obvious that a lot of research was put into his character. The London Eye Mystery was worth reading for Ted's characterization alone.
on 15 August 2007
I thought this was an excellent idea for a story. The London Eye is the venue chosen for a very mysterious disappearance. Nevermind what the weather is Ted and Kat brave raining cats and dogs to solve the mystery of Salim's disappearance. They travel around London with a list of Ted's theories whilst the grown ups and police brave the tempestuous Aunt Gloria. This book will make you laugh while at the same time make you bite your nails as the story keeps you in suspense throughout. It is a real page turner and adults will enjoy it as well. I think this will appeal to tourists visiting London who want to improve their English as it is well writtenn and easy to read.
Good young adult and middle grade mysteries are sometimes hard to come by. THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY by Siobhan Dowd is one you won't want to miss.

It all starts when Ted's cousin, Salim, comes to visit. Salim and his mother are about to move to New York City and have planned a family visit in London before their departure. Of course, what is a visit to London without a ride on the London Eye? That's when the trouble begins.

Ted and his older sister, Kat, haven't seen much of their cousin in the past. The visit starts out on a wrong note because of the unusual sleeping arrangements required by their tiny house. Kat is unhappy about bunking on the couch, and Ted is unhappy with the disruption of his whole routine. As Ted explains, he suffers from a "syndrome," which he defines by stating that his brain runs on "a different operating system" than everyone else. His judgment of other people's emotional responses is a bit off, and his views of the world around him tend to be quite literal. (I'm guessing that he suffers from some form of autism.)

Salim turns out to be quite a pleasant visitor. His only request is to take a ride on the London Eye, a massive ferris wheel attraction in the center of London. When the cousins and their mothers arrive at the Eye, they find the ticket line and actual ride line disappointingly long. Relief comes when a stranger offers one ticket, free of charge, to Salim. Ted and Kat eagerly accept the ticket and pocket the original ticket money from their mother as they rush Salim to the waiting ride.

The mystery begins when Salim doesn't disembark from the London Eye at the conclusion of his ride. Ted and Kat have as many as nine different theories. Was he kidnapped? Did he actually go on the ride at all? How could he have vanished so completely?

Quirky characters, London scenery, and a who-dun-it style combine to make this a sure hit. The late Siobhan Dowd, author of A SWIFT PURE CRY, outdid herself once again.

Reviewed by: Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky"
on 8 July 2008
The first chapter had me gripped, I had asked my mum to help me find a book that was more thrilling and mysterious than the books I have been reading lately. I am an eight year-old girl - and this book did deliver exactly what I'd asked for.

It's about a perfectly ordinary family - apart from the boy called Ted who is autistic. His sister, Kat, is a teenager who finds her brother a bit mad in the head. Ted's fantasic at facts like predicting the weather, he wants to be a meteorologist, but he's not so good at understanding feelings.

When Ted's cousin Salim and aunty Glo come to stay with them in London to say a last goodbye before they go to live in America, they all decide to go for a lovely outing on the London Eye. When the kids are queuing for tickets, a mysterious man gives his ticket to them saying that he's claustrophobic. But when Salim is on the London Eye he disappears. The police look for him - they think that he could be the boy in the morgue. But Ted has theories of his own and, with Kat's help, could they be the ones who'll discover what's really happening to their cousin?

I think this book is nerve-wracking, I really worried about where Salim had got to. But it was also really interesting to see how an autistic boy is able to be better at working things out than the rest of his family, and the police.

I'm not going to tell you the ending, but I'll tell you that it's anything but boring.

I read this book over a weekend because I couldn't put it down. Secretly I took it to bed and read when my mum thought I was asleep. I can't wait to see what Siobhan Dowd will come up with if she writes a second book for children.
on 1 May 2015
The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd is a book about a boy and his sister who try and find their cousin, who has mysteriously vanished from the London Eye.
I enjoyed this book; it was recommended to me by a previous teacher. I decided to try reading it as it sounded really interesting. And I'm totally glad I did!
In the story, Ted's and Kat's cousin Salim wants to ride on the Eye, so they let him go in on his own. Ted and Kat track the wheel almost all the time, which, according to Ted, leaves a 2% margin for error. But what's most strange is that while what goes up, must come down, Salim does not seem to leave the Eye. After that, the police are called in, to investigate what has happened. Even they are stumped, and Kat and Ted decide to take matters into their own hands. Ted makes up a list of theories; whether obviously fantasy or real. Ted and Kat begin to investigate, and come to the conclusion that Salim either never got on... or was taken.
The ending is a bit cliche, but brilliant and very well thought out. I think you can guess the ending!
What I loved is that Ted is autistic, and it changed the perspective quite a lot. If it was from Kat's perspective, it would be very different, as Kat does not have autism e.t.c, and Kat is an extremely different person to Ted.
The negatives are a cliche ending: however, like I said, this was a well-written ending and deserves a lot of praise. I can imagine, however, a bone-chilling end to the story- it's in my head! Also, maybe there could be a little less arguing in the story, and a bit less sleeping and talking, although those parts where the bits where Ted figured out it in parts, and even though Ted's clue-finding actually lead to nothing, it was interesting how the story played out.
So if you like quirky, unusual stories, set in a real-life environment (and even if you don't) I would encourage you to give this book a try, maybe have a look at the free sample. Once you start, you will be hooked- honest! 😁😁
on 27 December 2013
Reviewers explain Ted's way of thinking well and it is laudable because of this. I do however agree with the reviewer who found the prose style a little trying in places from an adult point of view. I suspect it appeals to a certain type of young reader who is not so keen on description and interesting vocabulary. I had been going to give it to an 8 year old girl as I thought the London Eye Idea would appeal but there are some references that are really better for older, possibly more urban children, and fairly grown-up issues so I thought better of it. However I am sure there are some children who would not be fazed by the issues raised.
on 2 October 2012
I really enjoyed Mark Haddon's Curious Incident of the dog in the nighttime and this book has obvious similarities. Both main characters have some kind of high functioning Aspergers and both see the world in a very literal fashion (as Ted puts it, they have a different operating system in their brains). Both have a mystery to solve that means they have to learn more about the complicated world of emotions. Both have fascinations with certain aspects of the world - in Ted's case the weather. And both books are very well written, with believable, amusing characters. The London Eye Mystery kept me reading way past my bedtime, and sneakily again in the morning. I heartily recommend it, and it may be classified as 'young adult' but as a not very young adult I really enjoyed it too.
on 15 August 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this unusual book by Siobhan Dowd. It really cheered me up as it was very witty and I am eager to go on the London Eye again. I really think Ted is an unusual character and he made me laugh in this story. His obsession with the weather is interesting and he makes the shipping forecast sound interesting. Kat is obsessed with fashion and teases her younger brother, Ted. The mystery is well written and full of suspense. I tried to work out what happened to Salim but had to keep reading. I liked Aunt Gloria too! I have an aunt just like her and I expect most people have too. I hope that there is a a follow up to this excellent novel.