on 12 July 2013
Review from my 9 year old daughter:

The Last Wild is a complicated yet outstanding book about a boy who goes on an adventure to save the last of the animals. There are only about 50 animals left in the world as there is a terrible disease called the red eye. Kester (as that is the boy's name) meets a stag and together they try to find a cure for the red eye.

I recommend this book for people who enjoy adventures and animal tales. My age group suggestion would be 8 plus because it has some lengthy words and is a long chapter book. Overall it is a must-buy that I highly recommend.
on 16 April 2013
100% enjoyable! I got the book on a Sunday evening and had finished it by 6:30pm on Tuesday (whilst going to school in between)
Equally fabulous for both girls and boys - I am definitely going to read it again and will be looking out for future books by this author.
I've given this book five stars because the story is so addictive and fascinating.
Millie 10
on 18 May 2014
As Eoin Colfer says in a quote on the front cover "A hugely inventive adventure". It's a mixture of all the good classic animal adventure stories such as "Watership Down", "Tarka the Otter", "Song of Pentecost" etc mixed together with sci fi elements such as "The Tripods" and the special human cities of glass, but with a new and clever slant and twist. Captain Skuldiss reminds me of a cross between the child catcher in Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang and Spiro from "My Family and other animals", whilst the "General" is like Captain Mainwaring from "Dad's Army". An interesting mix of animal characters who carry the story along as Kester struggles to save them from the red or berry eye which is afflicting all animalkind and the humans believe will kill them. He believes only his dad can save them, but can he?

There's no swearing or extreme violence, no angst ridden issues and modern day problems such as rape, bullying, war etc and yet it's a story of destruction, the potential end of the world as we know it and parallels many environmental issues we face today.
on 15 February 2015
The Last Wild is a highly original story of a boy called Kester who is mute, but realises he can communicate with animals. This is particularly startling as he lives in a time when all the animals have been wiped out by a terrible virus. The Last Wild tells how a flock of pigeons and a particularly confident cockroach lead him to the last surviving group of animals in a desperate attempt to get him to help them save themselves. Kester’s (and the reader’s) love for animals grows as the story progresses. By the end we too love the animals, even the cockroach, because the animals have demonstrated their qualities to us – their loyalty, their strength, their bravery, and their fight for justice. I don’t want to give too much away – it’s a fast-paced, creative, brainstorming triumph. Buy it for every child you know aged about 9 or older.
see http://www.minervareads.com/?p=625 for more of my review
This is a really compelling adventure story which I ate up in two days of reading. It tells the story of Kester, the only hope to save the last animals in existence, and his fight against the terrifying FACTO corporation. It blends elements of environmentalism with aspects of a thriller and plenty of humour to lift the darker elements of the story. It's a cracking read for 7-12 year olds.
on 25 May 2014
i bought this for my11yr old son as the blurb was interesting, Eoin Colfer recommended it and i liked the first few sentences.
I decided to read the first few pages but was completely hooked and read it all in a few days.
The characters are interesting and the story line is gripping. In all a great book for boys or girls aged 9yrs+. I'd highly recommend it!!
on 28 April 2014
First of all, let’s talk about this cover, shall we? This cover is simply fantastic with such contrasting colours that it really grabs your attention. As I read through the book the animals on the cover (both front and back) made more sense along with the beautiful detail of Stag’s eye and the green watch on Kester’s wrist. In short, I love this cover!

This book is highly imaginative and the plot, although slightly complicated, is easy to follow, wonderfully written, and so easy to immerse yourself in. There is an element of dystopia in it too as the world has been plagued with a virus called “Red Eye” which has killed off all but a rare few animals (and the pests which are aptly named “varmints.”). The characters within this world, both animal and human, are fantastic and I found it really easy to grow attached to each of the “good” characters and even easier to dislike the “bad.” I won’t spoil anything for those of you wishing to read this but watch out for Captain Skuldiss! *boo hiss*

Even though this books is 326 pages long, it is by no means a long and drawn out read. The plot is split into six parts (each with it’s own mini-chapter-starter-illustration-thing) and each part has a lot going on to hold your interest. It is hard for me to think that this book would just be suited to younger readers as I, at 23 and 1/2, thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the sequel The Dark Wild. I honestly think that this book would be suited for anyone and everyone!
on 10 February 2014
This is a fantastic book. I couldn't put it down and the children absolutely loved it! Would recommend it with bells on.
on 5 February 2016
I really enjoyed reading this to my two girls (aged 7 and 9). The story takes a little while to warm up and get going, but once you're on the journey the story rolls along at a good pace.

The white pigeon adds a fantastic touch of humour to the story and had us literally laughing out loud a number of times. I can't think of many books we've shared that can claim to do the same!

We moved straight into the the sequel, and I look forward to completing the trilogy. I also suggested this to a class teacher that is reading this with her class and they are loving it too!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2015
amazing book! i have read the trilogy to my 9 and 7 year old boys and they absolutely love them! this is the right side of 'stretching them' whilst holding their interest.