on 2 December 1998
A previous commentator claimed that this book was not readable enough for a mass audience--I have to disagree with this view wholeheartedly. I would say that his previous works, especially "Shadows of the Minds" were difficult to digest due to the amount of mathematics contained in almost all of the chapters (this doesn't negate the power of his ideas--he just makes them hard to understand). This latest work presents all of his major ideas on cosmology, quantum physics, and the nature of the mind in an extremely clear manner. His treatment of quantum physics is the best I've seen to date in a popular work. A short and rewarding read.
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2013
A real joy to read, it is beautifully written and nice to peer into the mind of a national treasure.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2001
I was disappointed with this book, I found the arguments both overly convoluted and often assumed the reader was familiar with physics graduate level concepts.
0Comment6 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 1997
My one line summary is praise enough, but I will say that one of your reviewers appears to be miffed because a particular paragraph appeared to be arcane. I had expected, then, to read something about, say, Penrose's writing style. How could I have had such an expectation when that reviewer writes, ". . . there are a number . . ." There are a man who should read books on different topics. There are a man who should buy a book on grammar. There are no chance that he will do so!
11 comment4 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse