on 20 November 2007
I noticed another review, which gave "The Joy Diet" a single star and noted that no single menu or diet will grant you happiness. And I agree with the notion that happiness-in-a-jar isn't realistic, but I don't see "The Joy Diet" as a quick solution.

Reading "The Joy Diet" I literally smiled and aha'ed a lot. I already know a lot of the issues, that Martha Beck addresses in the 10 menu items. I know that when I am stressed out, it is a good idea to have a time out and do nothing or that laughter is a great pick-me-up. These are just things that I keep forgetting - and therefore sometimes need to be reminded about.

The humorous packaging is hilarious and down to earth, which I really appreciate until most self-help books written by more or less pompous Messiahs.

So rather than happiness-in-a-jar I see "The Joy Diet" as a happiness-buffet with different inspirational menu items to get a step closer to happiness.

Louise
on 25 April 2009
Martha Beck is my new hero! Her writing style is witty and down to earth, and she manages to write truisms in a way that have me both smacking my head and going 'of course!' at the same time as I feel like I'm having a mini epiphany.

In 'The Joy Diet', she makes the point several times that this is going to take time, and you have to give each 'menu item' time to sink in and become second nature before rushing ahead to the next one. Really, if you want to change your life - with this book or any other - that's sage advice: change does not come overnight, and you have to WORK at it!

A lot of what's written here is obvious, and yet so often pushed aside in our busy lives. Laugh more. Remember that it's all a game, of sorts, and what you think is unmovably true can be questioned. Just... do what makes you happy (I know, duh! And yet...). Spend time with people you love, and quietly with yourself. Find your dreams and work hard towards achieving them, however scary that is.

If you're a great big cynic, you'll undoubtedly mock this book's advice as simplistic. Once I would have agreed. Now, though, I realise that books like this are only there to help YOU figure out what's going on in YOUR head, if you're open to a bit of probing. I'm loving the way all of Martha Beck's books have made me stop and think a bit, and realise that a lot of it is all pretty obvious.

Now, excuse me while I go back to figuring out how to do Nothing at all for a bit!
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2009
Wonderful book full of ideas and tips on how to be joyful. Highly recommended if you are looking for reminders that life can be wonderful, that you can be joyful and happy. This is truly food for the soul. The writting is lighthearted, funny, engaging. Martha Beck knows how to lead you to your own path of joy. Give yourself this book as a gift, you will love it.
on 13 May 2009
I have been enjoying this book. I like the fact that you incorporate them into your life one per week and go at your own pace.
on 17 June 2013
was expecting more , not for me this book , o much preferred 4 day win that was excellent and have re read that one.
on 25 July 2012
Apparently this book had been recommended to a friend of mine,
and she had lost hers, so here we are. The book arrived promptly and was well packed.
Thanks
on 26 February 2007
Witty and easy to read, The Joy Diet attempts to do the impossible - make you happy by using a particular recipe. Nevertheless, the first chapter on 'doing nothing' is refreshingly brutal about the difficulty this activity entails... and does hint at the nature of joy - spontaneous and, in my view, 'undoable'. Many of the following nine steps are about doing less - and how to do that!!!

If you want some tips about creating a greater sense of well being in your life then this is a rich and wholesome menu. If you're looking for permanent joy of the kind she describes you won't find it by sticking to ANY menu, even if doing nothing is included in it.