on 15 May 2013
I bought a hardback copy of this book for less than £1. That should have been my first clue, but my suspicions were aroused when I read in the author's notes, "All the people depicted in this book are real with two exceptions." Why would he need to introduce fictitious characters into a real-life murder story ?
The fact is that around half this book is fiction. The author fills pages relating inconsequential conversations verbatim, conversations that could not have been recorded on tape; conversations between Kuklinski and his wife at their home, conversations between detectives plotting the murderer's downfall. Many of his observations have little or no basis in fact. I don't need to know which clothes Barbara Kuklinski was wearing as she lay on her bed recovering from a headache. I don't need to know that she "curled her toes."
Anthony Bruno has tried to turn a fascinating true story of a contract killer into his own novel, and it doesn't work. Philip Carlo's book 'The Ice Man' will stay on my shelf, this one is going to the charity shop.
on 3 July 2013
As Robert De Niro endorses the cover, I should have expected this to be poor as De Niro would sell his own mother for a fast buck!
This is without doubt, the worse piece of work I have ever read. Far too repetitive and judging by the author who clearly idolises the nasty bully that is Richard Kuklinski, jus writing down whatever he heard from the infamous tapes.
Personally, I think Kuklinski WAS a mob enforcer, and DID kill people.........however, some of the 'confessions' are probably 'all talk' to bolster his infamy. He admits to killing Jimmy Hoffa, thus instantly solving that crime from 1975! As I read the book, I thought he'd confess to whacking JFK as well!!!
Overall, I felt the subject was a nasty bully, a miserable excuse for a human as he glorified in his killings. A professional mob enforcer probably goes about his business with ruthless efficiency, unlike this subject matter who killed for kicks, ie, killing a hitch-hiker who made an obscene gesture as Kuklinski drove past, or an innocent person who was prepared to give directions and was killed with a crossbow 'to see if it worked efficiently'
If you like OTT glorified and sensationalism in your reading, you'll embrace this........but personally, I think it was a dire experience reading this...........and I maintain most is just Kuklinskis imagination.
on 31 August 1999
The book, at times, read like one of Bruno's novels. Other times, like true crime from St. Martin's press. Well, now that we're all confused, let me say this: it's not all bad. The Iceman (Richard Kuklinski) is a very interesting killer. I wish the book focused more on him than one of the undercover agents who sought to bring him down because the cops are always the stereotypicals who eat poorly and feel guilty about not spending enough time with their family. Big yawn! I also found some of Kuklinski's murder claims dubious. Specifically the Roy DeMeo hit. 'Nuff said, capice?
on 11 November 2011
It's ok .... and you can stick with it ( sort of ). But - it's not a 'great' read. For the money - I think you can do far better. About halfway through - you start looking for the exit - and checking on how much more of this stuff you have to read - before you finish.
on 7 February 2013
i have read this book in the past, it was a in a different cover, but its still the same story, from the minute i picked it up i couldnt and didnt want to put it down. this is the best book i have ever read. the way he went about killing peolpe the way he did then giong home to his family like he had just finished a normal 9-5 amazes me. once i had read the book i watched his interviews in prison on you tube witch made it all the more real
on 21 February 2013
I have seen the interviews with this man on tv.He was a brutal but fascinating man,I am not surprised that he was able to lull people into a false sense of security,as he had a beguiling smile, a gentle voice and under other circumstances would have been a very likeable man.
on 21 June 2012
cool calculated lunatic who has been longing to be be loved all his life with no avail now he is a monster with no mercy .
on 7 March 2013
Bought this for my husband who is into this type of book. He says it is really good (if you like a gory read) and he finished it within a few days of starting to read it.
on 30 November 2012
Good. Book. Shows. The. Truth. About. A. Stone. Cold. Killer. How. Many. More. We. May. Never. Know. How. Many. Evil
on 1 July 2013
i choose this book to read on holiday and thought the book to be ok ,but not the compulsive read that i hoped it would be